+P or not - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 07:13 PM

+P or not

I'm just curious of members viewpoints of running +P or not in your 1911's.

I read a post on the forum the other day and one of the posters said they NEVER run +P. That got me thinking.

Do you run +P ammo or not in your home or CCW 1911?

For CCW I am currently running a +P underwood 9mm in my Colt Defender. However, should I just get say a Federal HST 9mm and not worry about it? Do the +P rounds hurt the pistol in an unexpected way?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:20 PM

I carry Ranger T +p+ in my G26. Don't know if a 1911 is up to that or not.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:38 PM

A modern well made pistol should be able to handle +P, at least as carry ammo and occasional practice, if the handgun got past the Legal Dept. in the first place. I just don't see the benefit in +P for the .45 acp. But to each his own. If you are shooting a LOT of rounds regularly, you will 0probably loosen up your gun sooner, but for the average handgunner, I don't think it is really a factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 PM

I use +P in most of my carry guns. The ammo I shoot at the range is about 10% +P most of the time at the range just to make sure it will feed and there are no timing issues. I also will practice with the non +P version of the same ammo if available.

As far as the belief that in short barreled guns, there is no benefit because you are blowing out the powder and burning propellant outside the muzzle, it's probably true but I have seen plenty of ballistics table to realize that it still does offer a good 50 to 100 fps more to the muzzle velocity and in short barrel guns used in concealed carry self-defense, I believe every single foot per second you can extract out of any gun/ammo combination is worth the extra recoil.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:15 PM

I must admit that I've never been a fan of excessive power thresholds or their associated recoil. I don't see the point, not for general use, anyway. Granted, in bear country or hunting, that's a whole different ballgame, but aside from that, what's the gain? I'm not necessarily too concerned about whether the gun can take it or not, as modern guns no doubt can, but what's the benefit supposed to be? On the down side, I've seen it build ridiculous flinches in folks, aside from control-ability issues that hamper accuracy. But, as was said above, to each his own.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Administrator

I run +P 9mm in my HD Glock. I don't run it in anything else I own.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:42 PM

There are +P loads developed for short barreled guns. Speer has one I run in my Sig P938. When not limited by the size of the gun a larger caliber works.
I suspect garden variety UMC .45 ACP hollow points are more effective than the specialized aforementioned 9mm Speer cartridges.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:06 PM

+P+ in a 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
I carry Ranger T +p+ in my G26. Don't know if a 1911 is up to that or not.
I carry Hornady 220 gr +P in my 1911. The 1911 in a steel frame configuration can easily handle +P+ ammo which I believe is overkill IMHO.
"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1
Old 02-05-2016, 10:00 PM

A little more velocity in.45acp for more reliable expansion.
A little more power in 9mm for better ballistics.
If recoil isn't an issue, win-win.

Be safe,
Rick
Old 02-05-2016, 10:06 PM

All my 1911's are 45acp.
A 230gr bullet at near 900fps isn't +p but still hits pretty damn hard.
Standard pressure is fine for me.

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:50 PM

Standard pressure here except for the 200gr Double Tap +P in my Glock 30 nightstand gun. I have no strong preference or objections to +P in a 1911. I just shoot standard pressure 230gr Gold Dots better out of 1911's than +P.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:01 AM

Remington Gold Saber 1911 .45 230 gr BJhp is good enough for my use.
Scott
Old 02-06-2016, 02:31 AM

Anytime you do something that is NOT in your owner's manual, you are a test pilot. What can go wrong?
Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcbmwz3 View Post
I'm just curious of members viewpoints of running +P or not in your 1911's.
when it comes to personal defense...more is better to "me"
I want all I can get from the caliber

Quote:
I read a post on the forum the other day and one of the posters said they NEVER run +P. That got me thinking.
some don't see the value or don't care for the recoil

Quote:
Do you run +P ammo or not in your home or CCW 1911?
not just 1911s, but every primary personal defense pistol I own (home defense or carry) is stoked with +P

Like Polymerman, I don't shoot a steady diet ...maybe 10% of the ammo shot thru them is +P

Quote:
For CCW I am currently running a +P underwood 9mm in my Colt Defender. However, should I just get say a Federal HST 9mm and not worry about it? Do the +P rounds hurt the pistol in an unexpected way?
it's my understanding Underwood is nuclear ammo (same for Buffalo Bore)
if you can afford to shoot much of it, be sure your recoil springs are changed at regular intervals .....really, you should do that regardless

..LT..A.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM

I wouldn't run +P in a lightweight framed pistol, but thats just me.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:29 PM

I run 230 grain in my Range Officer. It cycles fine and always punches thru paper with panache. No need for +p and the 1911 may last longer
Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
it's my understanding Underwood is nuclear ammo (same for Buffalo Bore)
if you can afford to shoot much of it, be sure your recoil springs are changed at regular intervals .....really, you should do that regardless
That sounds like good advice Cappi. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:10 PM

I shoot, and carry Remington Golden Saber 185gr +P in my TRP. Not a ton, just enough to stay dialed in with it. I figure if I can get any additional benefits from a HP round used for self defense, that is what I will carry. No issues of any kind to date... That being said, I primarily use 230gr FMJ to punch paper.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:12 PM

If you feel the need for +P+ then you just might have selected to small a caliber/cartridge for your needs?

If you feel the need for 380 +P+ go for 9mm
If you feel the need for 9mm+P+ then go for 38super
If you feel the need for 38 super +P+ go for 357MAG (loads of 8 shot wheelguns and pistols in 357MAG)
If the 45ACP is to feeble go for a 460Rowland

If you need more than that, then the Desert Eagle in 44MAG and 50AE are your thing.
They even make a revolver in 45-70 if the bastards are way to big in your neighbourhood!

Talked a good deal with a South African bloke, way good pal and oh could he bend the wrist.
He had 3 "scalps" under his belt and his preferred weapon was a 9 shot revolver in 22MAG.
Easy handling and plenty of penetration from a 4".

Go figure!

Food for thought:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DzLQGv-w5M
Old 02-06-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsainted View Post
I wouldn't run +P in a lightweight framed pistol, but thats just me.
Yeah I shot some HST 230gr JHP+P in my lightweight Commander.
It was quite snappy to say the least. Made for slower follow ups. While there is almost a 60ft lb increase over normal HST ammo I think I'd rather be able to hit two or three more accurate than just the first.
COTEP#782
Old 02-06-2016, 02:54 PM

I won't use +P ammo in any firearm not designated for +P loads. In the case of 45 ACP I also wouldn't want the added recoil of +P ammo. Just might need that follow up shot and placement is more important than more power.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:03 PM

I personally don't use +P in anything but my glocks ... otherwise standard pressure loads are fine enough
Old 02-06-2016, 08:24 PM

depends on the psi of the load. a +P that is just over the edge will be about the same as the dblTAP i use, but dblTAP is just below the edge of +P.

i simply dont see the need for +P.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork1911A1 View Post
All my 1911's are 45acp.
A 230gr bullet at near 900fps isn't +p but still hits pretty damn hard.
Standard pressure is fine for me.
Ditto, I just do not see a need to run +p in a 45 acp gun...Some ballistic studies have actually shown some +p's expand less than there "regular" versions...Add this to the additional, albeit marginal, muzzle flip, no point in +p 45 for me.

In 38 super, +p name is thrown around like free potato chips. Best to look at the velocity and grains and calculate momentum to get a feel for recoil and effectiveness on-target. Many, many, more choices than 45 as far as factory loads and one can decide where you want to operate on this almost "continuous" curve.
C.A.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-07-2016, 09:48 AM

If something really big and hairy with large teeth and a bad disposition is likely to be encountered, I pack a 44 Magnum loaded to the max and a long gun. I leave my 1911 at home. For more normal situations, a standard 45 ACP or 38 Special should be just fine.

I do not like to try to make a little gun act like a big gun. If I think I will need something with a little more power than a 380 auto or a standard 38 Special in an airweight J frame, I will slip a Ruger 101 in 357 Magnum or a XDS 45 ACP into my holster. If I need more than that, I will probably be carrying a 329 44 Magnum and have a rifle close at hand.

As far as the extra recoil of a +P being a problem, I doubt that it would even be noticed in a situation in which you are fighting for your life. The very few times I have had to use a handgun as a life preserver, I don't recall even feeling the recoil.