Commander hates jhp's. Recommendations? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-29-2016, 08:35 PM

Commander hates jhp's. Recommendations?

Need recommendations for sd ammo. My Colt Wiley Clapp Commander loves fmj but Speer Gold Dots nose dive on feed ramp.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:56 PM

have you tried Remington Golden Sabers? their shape is very much like a fmj's shape so they feed great in all my .45's
Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 PM

Federal HST work well in my WC CCO.
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Banned

Put a slightly more angle on it and then polished the heck out out it to a mirror finish..that will fix your prob.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Banned

Works everytime..goodluck..hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:28 PM

Which Speer bullets are you shooting? What is the bullet weight? I have had some trouble with the 200gr. bullets feeding. I wound up just using them in my 45 colt Ruger blackhawk. Some battles are not worth fighting. There are other good bullets out there. I have recently tried some Sierra HP bullets and they are very nice. I think they are called the sports master. They seem to act a lot like the speer bullets in water and wet clay/earth. Winchester SD are also good feeders and those who gel test and rate them say they are good. I wouldn't get stuck on just looking at Speer or worry whether or not they feed. I certainly would not modify my pistol so it could fire some specific SD cartridge either. Lots of good choices out there. The Golden sabers have always been great in my pistols of any caliber and the "testers" seem to say they are good.

BTW - you have a pistol that many would be very happy to own!!!

Last edited by Ed_Gordon; 01-29-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-29-2016, 10:38 PM
Banned

It's not just doing it for this bullet it will help with any bullet also,just from what I have experienced and I have done it alot...there are other things you can do also to help this also...I put it in another section and it works like a charm and once done it will eat anything you put in your gun quaranteed.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:41 PM
Banned

Just take a some sort of erasable marker and color the ramp pretty heavy and while it's wet have you a bullet that is failing to feed in the clip (just one) and chamber it,then you can see were it is hitting the ramp so you know we're to focus your grinding and polishing the most,it dosent have to be the whole ramp to be polished in some cases,you can make like a small tunnel port kinda in the ramp,and then grind just a little,very little and polish it to a mirrow finish in the ramp if you get were im coming from,then your gun will eat anything you throw in it.....understand...??

Last edited by trophytaker308; 01-29-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 PM
Banned

It's kinda like the bullet will ride in the ramp and stay guided from the raised ramp on the sides,of course this is very ,very small ramp,which is just a fuzz wide
Old 01-30-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
have you tried Remington Golden Sabers? their shape is very much like a fmj's shape so they feed great in all my .45's
I use golden Sabers FMJ in my .45 ACP's as well!!
Scott
Old 01-30-2016, 05:17 AM

Many 1911s are HP particular...

2 things to try,
1) Another HP brand - especially look at golden saber, although not the expansion king (assuming you have a 45), it is a proven round with great penetration, and one of the easiest feeding rounds HP available. Many manufacturers have it on their recommended HP list for this reasons.
2) Order 1 Wilson Combat FLATWIRE mag and try it in your gun with HPs. These have turned my WC's from HP particular, to HP agnostic (feeds them all now). The springs are on steroids (THICK'nHeafty) and guaranteed for life.

Good Luck,
C.A.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 01-30-2016, 06:31 AM

Mags

Extractor Tension

Throat and polish

In that order, please.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:19 AM

Expensive gun, eh?
Let Wiley Clapp/Colt make it right.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:24 AM

How many rounds through the gun? What magazines are you using? I also agree with John Joseph, especially if it's a new gun, not only might it need a good break in, the manufacturer has some responsibility to make it right. Polishing the feed ramp can't hurt, changing the shape of it in any way COULD. There are people who can do that, I'm not one.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:42 AM

The feed ramp is the absolute LAST THING to mess with if you have a feed problem. 90% of feed problems are caused by an extractor that is incorrectly tensioned or has a rough finish with sharp corners - a magazine releasing the round too soon or too late - or a mag catch that holds a magazine too high or too low - or a roughly finished breechface. Magazine springs may be too strong or too weak. Feed ramps do not need to be polished to work and more frames have been ruined by people messing with the angle while trying to "polish" it. Cartridges do not slide up the ramp - they hit it hard one time and bounce up.

Last edited by drail; 01-30-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:45 AM
1911 Aficionado

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with the size, angle, or finish on an aluminum frame.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophytaker308 View Post
Just take a some sort of erasable marker and color the ramp pretty heavy and while it's wet have you a bullet that is failing to feed in the clip (just one) and chamber it,then you can see were it is hitting the ramp so you know we're to focus your grinding and polishing the most,it dosent have to be the whole ramp to be polished in some cases,you can make like a small tunnel port kinda in the ramp,and then grind just a little,very little and polish it to a mirrow finish in the ramp if you get were im coming from,then your gun will eat anything you throw in it.....understand...??
Forget grinding and try different ammo. PDX1 feeds well in all my 45ACP pistols, 1911 or plastic. HST or Golden Saber also feed very well. I've never had a problem with Gold Dot in any caliber.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:02 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Woodley View Post
Need recommendations for sd ammo. My Colt Wiley Clapp Commander loves fmj but Speer Gold Dots nose dive on feed ramp.
I would also try the Golden Saber 230 HP. It is the best feeding hollow point of all the factory HP loads I've ever tried. You can get the LEO 50 rd box bonded from SGAmmo.com. I've also loaded thousands of the non bonded version of that bullet when I could get them. They work in every pistol I've ever tried them in.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-30-2016, 12:06 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyothayne2019 View Post
I use golden Sabers FMJ in my .45 ACP's as well!!
Scott

The Golden Saber is a hollow point, not FMJ. It has been available as a reloading component in the non-bonded version, and is factory loaded in both bonded and non-bonded versions.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-30-2016, 02:43 PM
Banned

I just watch a vid and a guy tested alot of ammo,saber,hst,hornady critical duty ,speer gold dot and a couple others,I thought when watching hst would be the winner....nope,it was the remington golden saber.surprised me,think I am gunna get me a box now...I can show the link if you want guys.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:45 PM
Banned

https://youtu.be/MPiVhYREUvI

Here it is,enjoy.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Banned

Got to admit,that remington golden saber is some nasty ammo,and I mean that In a good way.had know idea that it performed that good.will be buying some in the future for sure.has the saber been out along time?as I am kinda new in the pistol world.shot long guns most of my life,can't belive it took me this long to get into pistol shooting.I was kinda getting burned out on shooting long guns,but still love to shot em.just don't get em out until deer season rolls around these days..lol
Old 01-30-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophytaker308 View Post
Got to admit,that remington golden saber is some nasty ammo,and I mean that In a good way.had know idea that it performed that good.will be buying some in the future for sure.has the saber been out along time?as I am kinda new in the pistol world.shot long guns most of my life,can't belive it took me this long to get into pistol shooting.I was kinda getting burned out on shooting long guns,but still love to shot em.just don't get em out until deer season rolls around these days..lol
Saber has been around for quite a while. Remember that it comes in bonded and non bonded. Both work well.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:58 PM

Lucky Gunner did some tests on defense ammo and the HST came out near the top with 45 ACP. As far as the Gold Dot, while my series 80 Commander will eat anything, I had the same diving jams with my Glock 32 in 357sig. One reason is the front of the Gold Dot bullet is bare lead, not covered with plating, so it's not as slick and tends to stick on some steep, non-polished barrel ramps.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Woodley View Post

Try some Wilson Combat 47D or ETM mags and see if there is still an issue. Altering that gun is the last resort. If it was mine it would be try mags then if that fails send it to Colt. Period.