Larry Vickers! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 AM

Larry Vickers!

I have taken two of Larry Vickers classes. First was an intermediate level pistol class. Second was a 1911 class that had a mixture of shooting and sort of entry level 1911 gunsmithing.

Larry Vickers is the real deal. He has been there, done that. Not just some guy that as read alot of books and taken classes under other shooters. I say shooters instead of instructor because most are simple shooters who charge you money to listen to them brag.

If you want real instruction sign up for some of Vickers classes. You may be glad. Plus he is a great pistol shot himself.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:06 AM

I watch his youtube vids. Im with you, hes a real deal dude. Id take his class without hesitation. I dont think hes local to me though....
Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 AM

I'm taking his 1911 operators course this summer, any hints or suggestions in what to bring or what to expect. Have to admit I'm pretty stoked about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubet View Post
I'm taking his 1911 operators course this summer, any hints or suggestions in what to bring or what to expect. Have to admit I'm pretty stoked about it.
Bring lots of magazines and make sure they work with your 1911. If you object to swearing be sure to wear your sound supressors headset all the time.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:37 AM

Mags are all tried and true, swearing is an art form I take much pleasure in. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:53 PM

+1 on the Vickers 1911 class.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:24 PM

I have trained with him and it was worth the investment. As has been said he brings a wealth of real world experience to the table and knows what makes the 1911 tick to boot.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Mags are all tried and true, swearing is an art form I take much pleasure in. Thanks for the heads up.
I took the Vickers 1911 class a few years ago plus an intermediate shooting before that. Larry Vickers is a good instructor that is the real deal. Plus he is one of the best pistol shooters I have ever seen. Wish I was going to the class with you.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:10 AM

On the course description says we need to be able to carry 2 mags, I usually carry spare mags in my left front pocket, not in a magazine holster. Think this will be ok for the class? I do have mag holsters but being as I don't carry that way, I don't practice with them
Old 03-03-2016, 10:07 AM

Take the pouch - you'll have it if you want/need it. Can't remember a class with 'that guy' who ran mags out of his pocket. Just sayin'..............
Old 03-03-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
On the course description says we need to be able to carry 2 mags, I usually carry spare mags in my left front pocket, not in a magazine holster. Think this will be ok for the class? I do have mag holsters but being as I don't carry that way, I don't practice with them
Ranger is correct. You're going to spend much time making magazine changes and you won't be able to keep pace working from a pocket.

It's most important that your gear is squared away and functional before you get there. "That guy" is often the one who shows up with new gear or something he doesn't normally use only to discover it doesn't work properly. It's a recipe for frustration.

What belt, holster and magazine carriers do you plan to use? Have you used all of them together enough to know they work?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:48 AM

Also, you can never have enough magazines. I took 9 to Gunsite the second time, and was glad I did. When you practice magazine changes, funny things happen to magazine followers, lips and heels, any of which may lead to a non-functional magazine. Polymer pads at the base of the magazine do much to prevent damage, and can make magazine insertion more positive. If "fight the way you train" is extremely important to you, even very thin rubber pads, no more thick than a bicycle inner tube, will protect the magazines reasonably well, without substantially altering their dimensions or feel.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:57 AM

The two holsters I would take are both ones I've carried on a daily basis, a milt sparks vm2 and the other is an owb belt holster by Blackhawk. I normally use a serpa but they are a no go. The belt it's one I've carried with these holsters everyday. The mag pouch I have not used much because I don't carry with a mag pouch.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:57 PM

A Vickers class is kind of a grail thing for me. I am hopeful that in a few more years when all the kids are out of the house, I can finally go to some classes.

WJR
Old 03-06-2016, 05:51 AM

I am taking a carbine course next Sunday with him. Really looking forward to it.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:49 PM

Took his 1911 pistol course several years back, learned a lot to say the least & hope to attend another if he is ever in the area again. He busted on my Northern accent & made fun of my shoes but that was the last time I ever wore the incorrect foot wear to a gun course/event.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 354 View Post
I am taking a carbine course next Sunday with him. Really looking forward to it.
I'll be there as his AI, see you Sunday.