Les Baer Concept IV - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-12-2005, 02:05 PM

Les Baer Concept IV

I finally received my Les Baer Concept IV a couple of weeks ago, after ordering it back in January from my local dealer. The Concept IV is a duo tone (stainless frame/blued slide) with regular fixed LB sights. I ordered it factory stock, with no frills, although I regretted not ordering the tactical dehorning option soon after placing the order.

This is my first semi-Custom, thus I was a little apprehensive about plunking down the required cash. My other 1911s are limited to Kimbers and Springfields.

Of course, the Baer came dripping in oil/CLP out of the box, and shipped with one 8 round magazine. No manual was included, only a note on the "break-in of stainless steel pistols", which recommended 300 rounds prior to cleaning. The exterior fit and finish appeared excellent, with no apparent flaws to my novice eyes. I was somewhat taken aback by the size of the left-hand paddle of the Baer ambi safety. The safety made a very positive "snick" on and off. Everything was nice and tight, with maximum effort required to rack the slide. It would not return to battery (by about 1/4") while riding the slide with my hand. This is typical of the couple of Les Baers I had fondled in the past.

I've had two range sessions with the pistol, with a total of about 300 rounds of Federal American Eagle 230 grain FMJ down the tube. Maintenance during this period consisted of boresnaking it once and adding a couple of drops of CLP on the rails and barrel approximately every 100 rounds. No failures of any kind were noted, with consistent ejection into a little pile noted. The sights are regulated to shoot a little higher than I'm used to, but I can compensate with a 6-O'Clock hold. Windage was dead-on. I could not sling-shot the slide into battery, due to the presence of the shok buff, but I expected that. I have not shot any formal groups with the pistol, but I can immediately tell I can shoot it better than a Kimber Gold Match I have. For my purposes, I just need it to shoot where I'm aiming, as I'm not good enough to tell the difference between a 1.5 inch vs. 3 inch Les Baer pistol. I would think that in skilled hands it could definitely shoot under 3 inches at 50 yards, unfortunately I'll probably never be able to do it!

After the 300 round break-in, I field stripped the pistol for a quick cleaning. No unusual wear was noted. A quick inspection of the interior indicated finishing at a level I'm not accustomed to, with one exception. One of the slide rails was nicked via a file/machine chatter/etc. It definitely was not something I expected on a 1911 of this quality. However, it appears to be completely cosmetic and does not affect the functioning. I went ahead and trashed the buffer at this time, as I don't use them on any of my 1911s.

Upon cleaning and reassembly, the frame to slide fit smoothed out dramatically. Racking the slide does not require nearly the effort it did prior to break-in. I was not expecting this to happen so quickly. I understand that Les Baer does not build stainless guns quite so tight, so this is either the case or mine was built slightly "less tight" than normal. The bushing cannot be turned by hand, but it does not destroy plastic bushing wrenches like some reports I have read. Also, there do not appear to be many sharp edges on the pistol as I feared it would. Further dehorning is not necessary in my mind.

All in all, I am very happy with my first semi-custom 1911 purchase. Unfortunately, I don't have a decent digital camera and I would just be ridiculed by the folks who know how to take great pictures on this forum! However, the pistol can be seen here:

http://www.lesbaer.com/cncptd.html
Old 09-12-2005, 04:18 PM

BattlePack,

It will only get better and smoother.

Safe shooting,

Mike
Old 09-14-2005, 11:28 AM

Your range report was very well done. It gives me a very good idea of exactly what the gun is like. If you can do that well with words .... I bet you can learn some simple techniques to get decent pictures on the net... This forum IMHO seems to have a lot better level of adult conversation than many others , I would be surprised to have folks give you a hard time about sharing pictures... sign up for a free photo hosting site [ there are many ] . I use photobucket and really like the quality. Thanks for the great report on your new Les Baer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2005, 01:16 PM

Another day at the range with this Les Baer. I put approximately 100 rounds of mixed bag Hornady factory 185 and 200 grain JHP, along with Georgia Arms 200 gr. LSWC. It appears willing to feed anything I put into the magazine well. It is still shooting higher than I like, but I'm going to leave it as is for the time being and shoot it some more to get used to it. Racking the slide now is very smooth.