44specialdave, Lucky Lynn, and Master Richard go to the Range - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-20-2005, 08:01 AM

44specialdave, Lucky Lynn, and Master Richard go to the Range

44SpecialDave, Lucky Lynn, and I spent a pleasant hour after work at the Double Action Range in Madison Heights, MI. All shooting was at 10 yards as I was having a hard time picking up the front sight. This was partially due to my eyesight and partially the lighting.

The first handgun to be dealt with is a Springfield Armory XD 9504 45GAP pistol. The fellow on the lane next to me was shooting a XD 9504 and let me to put five rounds through his. After only five rounds with this pistol, I want one. I can honestly say it was soft shooting, accurate, compact, had great ergomics, and between the owner and I 100 rounds went through it with no malfis. I flat out prefer the 45GAP in a XD 9504 to a Glock 23 in 40 S&W etc. The felt recoil of this 45GAP in a XD 9504 was less than that of my Makarov pistols (Maks).

In exchange for my shooting his XD 9504 I allowed the man to shoot two of my EG Maks. He was very impressed with these little pistols and amazed by the low price I paid for them. I shot Fiocchi ammo, all groups were centered but high on the target Maks are sighted in for 25 yards and this is why they shoot high at 10 yards. The results of this shooting was both Maks produced medium orange sized groups with many rounds touching the next. The first EG Mak is my blued one; it wears plain Novak sights and is very easy to shoot fast and accurately. The second EG Mak is the one I bought from Gary Morris, it wears A/O sights and it is harder for me to shoot fast. I fired fifty rounds and I had no jams or stoppages with either pistol.

The next two handguns I fired were my 3 ½” S&W 3rd Model Hand Ejector and 4” S&W Model 629-2. I used 200gr 44 Special target reloads in the 3rd Model Hand Ejector; these are accurate and very pleasing to shoot. The handgun fired groups aping the size of those shot with the Maks. Next was the 4” S&W Model 629-2, I used the 44 Mag target loads and the groups were centered low on the target and again about the size of a medium sized orange. The surprise came when I fired the 200gr 44 Special target reloads in the M629-2. Why? The handgun loved them; the groups were centered high on my target and about the size of a lemon.

My 3 ½” S&W 3rd Model Hand Ejector is just about perfect but my 4” S&W Model 629-2 could benefit from a trigger job and trigger size reduction. The later will help my double action shooting and the will make the trigger feel better when firing; I do not care for large and serrated triggers.

The last handgun fired is one I love. What is it? The answer is my CZ75B with a 22 Long Rifle Kadet Conversion unit. This pistol has a great factory trigger, is accurate, and a joy to shoot. I used Winchester lead target loads and I experienced two stoppages early in my shooting. These were both easily cleared and no further malfis occurred. I let 44SpecialDave try the Kadet and he was impressed. Dave felt it was among the nicer 22 caliber pistols he has shot.

Kadet on top:

Lucky Lynn wasn’t so lucky. She was shooting the 3” Taurus 431 I sold her and Lynn just plain was having a bad day. Lucky Lynn can shoot with the best but not yesterday. I could only tell her it happens to all of us.

Lastly, Dave shot his 5“ S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector and 4” 3rd Model Hand Ejector. The first produced great groups and the second very acceptable groups. 44SpecialDave and Lucky Lynn both used the same 200gr 44 Special target reloads I fired.

All had a great time.

Regards,

Richard