Love my 1911 but ... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 AM

Love my 1911 but ...

I have carried and shot my 1911 pistol for many years. But, I feel there are better choices now. My goto daily carry pistol now is a Glock 19 Gen4 and two spare mags, 15 rounds each 124 grain Speer GoldDots. I think in a SHTF world 9MM ammo will be easier found. On me when I leave home is 46 rounds of high performance ammo. When I carried my 1911 I had 22 rounds of fmj ammo. I just feel better armed now. But I still like to shoot my 1911 (and my Glock) when I go to the range.

Anyone else have any input on this subject?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 AM

Shun him!!!😜
Old 02-22-2017, 11:15 AM

It is a matter of personal preference. The main thing to consider with an EDC is how proficient you are with it and how often you train. I carry a Glock 43 with an 8 round capacity (7+1) when I'm off duty. For me, it is a save my ass gun, not a save the world gun. My EDC will serve in that capacity or as a means to distract long enough to get to my other guns in a SHTF scenario.

I'm in the same boat as you with loving to shoot my 1911, but I carry a Glock for a couple reasons. My duty weapon and EDC are both Glock. I find it simpler for training, having the trigger be the same as my duty weapon provides consistency for me.

In regard to ammo capacity, I have seen first hand on numerous occasions how accuracy drops in a stressful situation so more ammo capacity is a definite advantage. However, when it comes to concealed carry, considerations of how easy you can personally conceal a particular handgun comes into play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2017, 11:26 AM

Yeah, love my 1911, shoot it more accurately than pretty much anything else, but if I'm 'going into battle', it'll probably be one of my full sized 9s. More ammo for the same size and weight, needs less maintenance.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:39 AM

Most of us have many platforms in many calibers readily available, so to make this thread more interesting and fun, you would have to stipulate what SHTF scenario you are referring to. And exactly what you are trying to accomplish in said SHTF scenario (stay in house, look for water, kill Zombies' at 100 yards, etc.). A blanket statement that a certain platform and caliber would (always) be the best choice might not be the best answer.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-22-2017, 02:16 PM

i love my 1911's (and 2011's) but bedside gun is glock 31 and primary carry is glock 23 or 32. they always work, more capacity in a smaller form factor.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:13 PM

when I carry my 1911 I have like 9 rounds of high performance ammo, in a platform I can make good hits with at distance and speed. I don't see what else I need than that.

I'm not against carrying more ammo, but if I'm gonna go armed hardcore, I would rather a rifle.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:48 PM

I have plenty of 1911's that I shoot at the range because that is my EDC. I cant stand the Glock triggers, had 19's,17's and a 34 and sold all of them. I am now leaning to Sig P226 as I have two and a XDm9 which I really like. I shoot what I like and I carry what I shoot the best and that is my 1911 Colt Combat Commander.
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:53 PM

Carry whatever you think is best. No of us can make the decision for you. I can however offer some thoughts to help decide.

Which do you shoot better?
How far away from a rifle or shotgun are you?
Do you live in the country where a larger caliber is better for taking care of critters, or do you live in an urban area?

But in the end, the choice is yours, and none of us can pick for you.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 PM

I choose to carry plastic [S&W M&Pc] and shoot my 1911's for several reasons
My carry gun gets scratched and banged around at work and day to day activities, I would rather scratch a $300 gun than a $1500 gun. My 1911's are too nice for me to carry in my line of work and lifestyle.
If you use it your going to loose it and again its $300 big deal?
And a 1911 is heavy even my 3'' gets heavy at the end of the day
Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 PM

I have thought about this topic recently, and while I love my 1911's and the small low capacity guns that I carry concealed, I will be going for my Glock 17 with a big stick magazine when the SHTF.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:00 PM

I am really wanting a full size 9mm for carry. I am not a fun of plastic guns even though I have a Taurus PT111 G2 I am leaning toward a CZ 75 SP-01 can't go wrong with 19 rounds in the weapon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckKH View Post
It is a matter of personal preference. The main thing to consider with an EDC is how proficient you are with it and how often you train. I carry a Glock 43 with an 8 round capacity (7+1) when I'm off duty. For me, it is a save my ass gun, not a save the world gun. My EDC will serve in that capacity or as a means to distract long enough to get to my other guns in a SHTF scenario.

I'm in the same boat as you with loving to shoot my 1911, but I carry a Glock for a couple reasons. My duty weapon and EDC are both Glock. I find it simpler for training, having the trigger be the same as my duty weapon provides consistency for me.

In regard to ammo capacity, I have seen first hand on numerous occasions how accuracy drops in a stressful situation so more ammo capacity is a definite advantage. However, when it comes to concealed carry, considerations of how easy you can personally conceal a particular handgun comes into play.
You have +1 basepads on that GL43? Factory mags are 6 rounders.
My edc is is an Ed Brown Alpha Carry 8+1 and a spare mag. I feel fine with it.
COTEP#782
Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
You have +1 basepads on that GL43? Factory mags are 6 rounders.
My edc is is an Ed Brown Alpha Carry 8+1 and a spare mag. I feel fine with it.
Yes, I have the Pierce base pads. They are the same size as the extended base bad that comes on one mag with the 43. I find that carrying a double stack concealed prints more than I like.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

"Love my 1911 BUT"

Since I have no butt, I just carry and stay proficient with my 1911's. I can shoot just about any platform well enough after 50 years of experience, but I carry a Wilson Tactical Supergrade Professional in .45 for EDC, with at least one spare magazine - so with two 8-rounders, plus 1 in the tube, that 17 rounds of .45 ACP goodness. If I don't have to worry about concealment, like when I'm at my brother's farm (which is where I would be if the SHTF), I carry with a 10-rounder in the gun, a 10-rounder spare, and 1 in the shute, which is 21 rounds. If I need more than that, I'll grab my AR's.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:35 AM

That's heresy, go slam your genitalia in the truck door then ask for forgiveness.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:39 AM

Carry my full sized DW Valor daily. More comfortable wear than my G19, and my lunchbox always has a spare mag and 50-100 rounds in it just in case I get the itch to go to the range.

I carried my G19 for years, but once I got the Valor and a decent holster, I just can't imagine going back to that stippling rubbing my love handles every day.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:23 PM

I shoot a 1911 better than I do any other pistol, so I carry a full size or a commander size frequently when in casual clothing that I can keep a bit looser. For EDC, when I am not quite able to conceal a 1911 without printing, I carry a Glock 43. Nice thing about the 43 is, I can fit two spare mags in an old leather Blackberry case that just looks like I'm carrying a phone. I'm also a big fan of the G19, and have distinct scenarios where I carry that as well, plus that is what I keep in all of the BOBs. But if I were walking into a known bad situation and had my preference, I would have a 1911 on me. With 40 years of constant drills with, and what has to be cumulatively at least a million rounds downrange through them, I simply do NOT miss with a 1911 no matter how fast I have to shoot.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:03 PM

No grief form this corner. Love my 1911 and prefer the GI types. I can run it just fine. Then again, I'm one of those guys who feels you should be able to shoot pretty much any gun with reasonable accuracy at a quick pace within reasonable SD range.

I find my SIG 220 to be a quick handling, fast and accurate shooting gun and a real joy to shoot. Maybe even a tiny bit more than the 1911. Remember I don't run target trigger 1911s or on any potential fighting gun. That said, my carry gun is a Glock 30S. It works well, is reasonable to carry in a Milt Sparks VM2 holster, and being the same size as other guns I compared it to such as the G19, Commander sized 1911s, Ruger SR9c, SIG P229 (really like it in the hand though), and others. No real savings in size or weight. And 10 +1 rounds of 230 grain JHP before a reload. So the G30S it is. And I was never a big Glock lover.

I seem to dig the full, large frames lately. After having a number of Glocks in 9 and 40 and never keeping any, I decided to buy a full frame G21 that came into the shop. Found out about the Grip Force Adapter which had the G21 pointing as naturally for me as my 1911 and P220. One of the previous gripes for me about the Block was the grip angle. All fixed with the GFA. So my choice currently for a drag around in the elements or most SHTF scenarios for a primary sidearm would be the Glock 21. I have a second on layaway just to make sure I have a backup.

However, I have been considering either a G17 or 19 with GFA or the right Gen 4 backstrap as a good Stuff gun. 17 (or +2 with the Pearce) rounds of premium 9mm JHP, and the probability of 9mm being more available through one means or another than .45 makes for a good argument.

In .40 I prefer the M&P platform. I'm fine with the G22, but hate the 23 as being to snappy and squirmy in the hand under focused rapid fire. Nice thing is I can run .40 S&W through the G29, 10mm if I have to and it runs like a top. More pleasant to shoot in 10MM G29 for me and the wife (she really took to it) than .40 in the 23.

Different strokes as the say. Someone mentioned hating the trigger on the Glocks. I rather like the light switch 5.5 factory trigger. They also mentioned really liking the XD series. That's a trigger I really don't like. Everyone I've tried to include the M series are mushy. Besides the three or four XD I've had, I function test each handgun that comes into work and I have over a dozen used XD in the case. Original, M, Mod 2, S, and really don't like the trigger on any of them.

Nothing wrong with loving the 1911 and still opting for a more modern and very well fielded combat pistol. I love my Win 92 clone trapper carbine in .357 Mag and it's probably one of the last rifles I would part with. It would do a good job for self defense and I can keep topping it up through the loading port. However, given a choice for SHTF or in any kind of extended or multiple assailant SD/HD situations you better believe I'd want one of my ARs and a belt full of mags.

We have Gaston's marketing blitzes that have made Glock synonymous with "the" SD/Combat auto in the minds of many who are not that gun savvy, much like a lot of people who don't really know 1911s will still be quick to tell you that they want a Kimber because, "Kimber is the best!" In the case of the Glock 17 and 19 the gun has actually proven to be one of the most popular and relied on firearms in the hands of people who actually carry them into battle.

A large number of special operations and high level anti-terrorist police teams around the world have chosen the Glock 19 by preference, by their educated choice, because they wanted it. Not because they were told they had to use it. Many of these, primarily the US guys were died in the wool 1911A1 users, or in some cases SIG P226 and even Hi-Power users. We've seen SOCOM forces of various types choosing to carry the G19 as their option when they had the option. Those same forces have moved to the G19 officially at various points. Despite what the haters will say about bean counters and bureaucrats being the reason, the bottom line is the operators themselves chose and wanted that sidearm.

So deciding to carry a G17 or G19 for a sidearm going into any number of varied environments and situations makes sense, whether you like or just tolerate the platform, for the same reasons they've been becoming the choice of modern special operations personnel.

I have to see if that used G17 Gen 4 that is in the shipment coming in today has everything with it. If so, I may just have to buy it. (It would be $384 and tax with my discount. )

P.S. I had an instructor several years ago who said, "If you have a 1911 you will eventually have a Glock." I think what he meant was if you appreciate the 1911 for the kick ass fighting gun it is you will appreciate those same basic underlying aspects of the Glock. It's basically a fighting gun. Glamourize it all you want, but at the core is a basic, reliable, mud running, fighting pistol.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 02-23-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:50 PM

First, I apologize for the long post.

If we are talking about societal breakdown, I will have my AR with me. If we are talking about EDC, it will be my CCO. Back when Ruger brought out the LC9S, I tried one. It is the only tiny pistol I have ever been able to shoot well. It replaced my CCO as my carry piece. I have put a lot of rounds through the Ruger, and I can empty it on a paper plate at 10- 12 yards, which I think is fine for self defense. A couple of days ago, I took my CCO out for the first time in close to a year. At 10 yards, I emptied the first magazine into a 4" circle. I shot a couple more magazines, and then I backed up to 25 yards. Offhand, I put everything into a paper plate size group. Taking a rest on my range bag, I kept everything in a 6" circle. On the way home, I started thinking. If I can shoot the 1911 that much better when I haven't shot it for a long time, why am I carrying the Ruger? I know the 1911 is heavier, but on a decent belt, it's not a big deal. Plus, I'm sending .45's downrange instead of 9MM. I'm back to carrying my CCO.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:56 PM

I prefer my 1911s, just love the way they shoot and feel. I do occasionally carry a HK USPC V3 with match trigger and have carried my S&W 36. I own a Glock 19-2 but just shoot it enough to remain proficient with it, about once a quarter. I probably have 500-600 rounds through it and I would have no problem betting my life on it in situation where deadly force was needed.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
First, I apologize for the long post.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 PM

I'll stick with my SA Pro as if it gets to that point, my 6920 will see most of the work.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
If we are talking about societal breakdown, I will have my AR with me. If we are talking about EDC, it will be my CCO.

I know the 1911 is heavier, but on a decent belt, it's not a big deal. Plus, I'm sending .45's downrange instead of 9MM. I'm back to carrying my CCO.

Steel or aluminum framed CCO?
Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 PM

1911's are what I'm the most accurate with...so that's what I carry. I feel sorry for anyone who carries for a different reason. I like 'em all... But that doesn't mean I'd carry 'em all!