Serious HP problem - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-26-2016, 09:56 AM

Serious HP problem

Took my HP to the range last week, shooting reloads that are well below full power but still runs the guns well enough. About half way through a 100 roud bag the pistol froze. Hammer back, round in the chamber but the trigget won't pull. Slide was free so I ended up dropping the mag and ejectine the live round. Pulled the slide off but could not see any problem. Put the slide back on and the pistol is back in action. First time in about 40 years that I really looked at how the HP works. The action between the trigger and the hammer is really weird. I think this was were my problem was but can't really nail it down. Anyone else ever had something like this?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:06 AM

If I understand your issue correctly the pistol was in full battery but the trigger would not pull back to fire. This is what I suggest you look at. First take off the slide, remove barrel etc. first flip over the slide and find the transfer bar, that long lever like thing in the slide, make sure it moves up and down freely. Use a small punch, toothpick etc to push on the lever on the end near the breach face. If that fails look for something binding it. If good, now look at the trigger in the frame. Find the trigger bar,my hat piece that attached to the rear of the trigger and should move up and down against the frame as you manipulate the trigger. This should be seated and flush with the side of the trigger itself and if you use your finger to move it forward toward the muzzle it should spring back toward the rear and remain flush against the frame. If that is. To flush with the trigger at its base or does not move freely and spring back that could be your problem. Look at the relationship of these parts. When you pull the trigger the trigger bar is raised to hit the transfer bar near the breach which then hits and moves the sear which trips the hammer and fires the gun. If the trigger bar is out of alignment and hits the slide and not the transfer bar you could get the situation described. That would be a hard stop to the trigger. Those are really the only parts that could be causing what you describe and if I understand your problem. When you have this problem, if the trigger moves all the way back but does. It fire the gun your trigger lever is not resetting. If it continues to happen and you are not comfortable diagnosing and repairing take it to a smith that knows BHPs. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenS View Post
Took my HP to the range last week, shooting reloads that are well below full power but still runs the guns well enough. About half way through a 100 roud bag the pistol froze. Hammer back, round in the chamber but the trigget won't pull. Slide was free so I ended up dropping the mag and ejectine the live round. Pulled the slide off but could not see any problem. Put the slide back on and the pistol is back in action. First time in about 40 years that I really looked at how the HP works. The action between the trigger and the hammer is really weird. I think this was were my problem was but can't really nail it down. Anyone else ever had something like this?
I don't believe you were in full battery.
Did you put your reloads in a 9mm gauge?
Were the rounds FMJ or maybe lead coated?
My HP's will not chamber a round that won't fit properly in my 9mm gauge.
These rounds will chamber in my Beretta and my Rugers.
They don't like my Sig's, Browning/FN or CZ's.
I experience it with coated 9mm bullets. My first time using them, I only used my gauge randomly and they appeared fine.
I then found one round that wouldn't chamber in my HP, but it worked in my M9A1. Next one would chamber fully in my P226. I took the rounds home and ran all through my gauge. about 10% of them would not seat in the gauge due to the lead being too wide. I shortened my COAL to closer to the minimum and they would seat. I no longer buy that bullet and stick to FMJ for my reloading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2016, 06:16 PM

Bullets are 124 JHP from Precision Delta. I run every one of my reloads through a gauge, I think it is a Wilson gauge. Aftr clearing up the malfunction I ran the same round through from the magazine with no problem. I think it had something to do with the transfer bar Thomgetch posted about. The HP has always been told to me to be the upgrade to the 1911 design. I really don't think that transfer baf design is better that the original 1911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
I don't believe you were in full battery.
Did you put your reloads in a 9mm gauge?
Were the rounds FMJ or maybe lead coated?
My HP's will not chamber a round that won't fit properly in my 9mm gauge.
These rounds will chamber in my Beretta and my Rugers.
They don't like my Sig's, Browning/FN or CZ's.
I experience it with coated 9mm bullets. My first time using them, I only used my gauge randomly and they appeared fine.
I then found one round that wouldn't chamber in my HP, but it worked in my M9A1. Next one would chamber fully in my P226. I took the rounds home and ran all through my gauge. about 10% of them would not seat in the gauge due to the lead being too wide. I shortened my COAL to closer to the minimum and they would seat. I no longer buy that bullet and stick to FMJ for my reloading.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:33 PM

Maybe the magazine wasn't seated just right and the mag safety was holding it off?

...I removed mine.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Bullets are 124 JHP from Precision Delta. I run every one of my reloads through a gauge, I think it is a Wilson gauge. Aftr clearing up the malfunction I ran the same round through from the magazine with no problem. I think it had something to do with the transfer bar Thomgetch posted about. The HP has always been told to me to be the upgrade to the 1911 design. I really don't think that transfer baf design is better that the original 1911.
I agree with CmdrCody, most likely not in full battery.

The transfer bar, sear lever, relates to reset and would most likely cleared just by letting the trigger go full forward. I don't think the bar would jam in the down position and suddenly be free just by clearing the gun.

Trigger lever, the part that rises up and pushes the sear lever can give a problem if there is something wrong with the frame where it guides the trigger lever. I doubt the problem would be with the trigger lever, more likely the frame.

The trigger safety could have locked the trigger if its still in use.

Either way, you correctly dealth with the problem at the range; dropped mag, cleared gun, checked chamber, reinserted mag

If you are really paranoid about this gun, take the slide off and look at the back of the trigger riser lever guide area on the frame. Look for a square sharp edge of the guide. Work the trigger and see that the lever stays in the guide area.

I agree, the action going up into the slide with the riser lever and sear lever acting as the disconnector is a compromise not found in the 1911 ... but its the slimming feature that allowed the double stack mag to become popular. The average man's hands were dramatically smaller 100 years ago ... I doubt the double stack 1911 would have had the commercial success in the 20th Century that it has now.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:16 PM

Is the magazine disconnect still on its place?

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2016, 02:12 PM

You may have heard that the BHP was John Browning's attempt to improve on the 1911, but that is not the case. It is an entirely different design, built for a different customer to meet their specs. I would argue that there are more differences between the designs than there are similarities.

This is just one of the "urban legends" surrounding the BHP.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
You may have heard that the BHP was John Browning's attempt to improve on the 1911, but that is not the case. It is an entirely different design, built for a different customer to meet their specs. I would argue that there are more differences between the designs than there are similarities.

They actually had to change things to not infringe on Colts patent rights to the 1911, because even though JMB designed the 1911, the patent was sold to Colt,.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2016, 06:56 PM

The magazine safety has been removed. The gun was in full battery. Trigger would not move either forward opr back ward. I cleared the malfunction by first removing the mag. Then ejecting the live round from the chamber. Then I removed the slide from the gun and reinstalled which cleared the problem. I haven't looked it over very well since the malfunction, under the weather. I will loook this over closely and [ost what I find. The HP is still one of my favorite pistols. I have to others, 9MM with a chrome frame and a 40 S&W with chrome frame. Good looking guns. Trouble finding 40 cal mags for the HP.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:37 PM

Magazines for the .40 S&W Hi Power are very easy to find and cheap ($20.95 blued & $21.95 silver) from Greg Cote LLC. com.

He also carries many, many other mags and he ships fast:

www.gregcotellc.com

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 08-27-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
The magazine safety has been removed. The gun was in full battery. Trigger would not move either forward opr back ward. I cleared the malfunction by first removing the mag. Then ejecting the live round from the chamber. Then I removed the slide from the gun and reinstalled which cleared the problem. I haven't looked it over very well since the malfunction, under the weather. I will loook this over closely and [ost what I find. The HP is still one of my favorite pistols. I have to others, 9MM with a chrome frame and a 40 S&W with chrome frame. Good looking guns. Trouble finding 40 cal mags for the HP.
Points to the trigger lever being out of the guide on the frame. It fell back either when you removed or reinstalled the slide. Other than a crisp angle on the back of the guide slot, may not be much to see. If I recall, the back of the trigger spring helps the lever lean against the guide. You could flick the lever a little and see if it returns naturally to the guide area.

Last edited by Mark75H; 08-27-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:29 AM

BHP vs 1911

Quote:

Agree; and I've showed/explained this to new HP shooters at our club many times The only similarities are the firing pin assembly and magazine catch/release
Old 08-28-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:

+1 Systema.
Is Urban Legends a nice way of saying "internet BS"?

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 08-28-2016, 07:43 PM

Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
^^^THIS^^^

What a surprise , once more Mr. Burgs has nailed it .

And...being just plain weary of the myth busting business, I'll thank my friend Sistema1927 for engaging in the good fight ...
Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 AM

The BHP transfer bar was a prefered system by Mr. Browning. It solved a problem as guns age. Take a 50000 round BHP, pull the trigger to the break point. Now try to waggle the slide on the frame frame. Now pull back through the overtravel. Still no movement. The design retains phenomenal accuracy throughout its service life. That's the genius of the design.