Ever regret selling your 1911? - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-03-2016, 02:03 PM

I've only sold one 1911. That was a Colt Series 70 Mark IV Government in 9mm that I bought in 1977. It was pristine. As its value rose, I stopped shooting it, at which point it became virtually worthless to me unless I sold it. That was about 8 years ago. The only regret that I have in selling it is that I sold it too soon. I could likely get more $$ for it now.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45man View Post
I traded a Springfield Loaded for a Beretta Cheeta 84, and while I love the Beretta, I still kinda miss the Springfield.
Those Beretta Cheetas are nice guns, especially the INOX finish.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:23 PM

I get bored with guns pretty easily. Most of them I only keep for a few years. I have a few that have been with me for almost 50 years. It takes a pretty special gun for me to hang onto it. Sold a few and replaced them with the exact same gun 3 or 4 years later. A few years ago I let a very nice ELCN Colt go for cheap. I kinda wish I had that one back.

They slip through my hands like a greased pig. My neighbor thinks I have a screw loose.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 06-03-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:29 PM

I generally don't like to sell guns.

I have sold Sig-Sauers and several other brands of personally owned pistols over a period of some thirty years, but I've never sold any of the nine 1911s I've owned.

I did give one as a gift once.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:29 PM

Oops, double post.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:21 PM

Guns are for buying not selling...
Old 06-04-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I didn't buy my collection of pistols to sell 'em
But a divorce was the motivating factor. Ex wanted 50% of the value of the gun collection. Not the lower end of the collection either. Anyways the safe is half empty, not half full by any means.

Take care my friends.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:03 AM

Somewhere around 1972-73 my main pistol was a Remington Rand 1911 in really great condition. For some reason I thought I had to have a 357 magnum pistol. I traded this great 1911 for a S&W model 28. I have owned many 1911's since then but it wasn't that Remington Rand. Regrets, many!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:57 PM

My son Jeff shoots my RIA Tactical .45 better than I do. I told him "don't ever sell that gun." My son Matt is borrowing my RIA 9 mm because I want him hooked on 1911's too. It will give me great pleasure to give my 1911's to my sons someday. I think about selling some of my other guns, but not my 1911's.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlimbocker View Post
My son Jeff shoots my RIA Tactical .45 better than I do. I told him "don't ever sell that gun." My son Matt is borrowing my RIA 9 mm because I want him hooked on 1911's too. It will give me great pleasure to give my 1911's to my sons someday. I think about selling some of my other guns, but not my 1911's.
I know what you mean. My 11 year old son wanted to shoot my Colt Government so I bought a 22 conversion kit and let him shoot it for the first time. He really enjoys shooting that and his Ruger 10/22 with a rifle scope. I said to myself, some day that Colt is going to be his.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:50 AM

agree with the sentiment that comes from giving away one's prized and special guns. In the past year or so, I have decided to part with most of my firearms, and since my son and his wife enjoy shooting, and have a big gun safe, I have given them about 30 of my guns; rifles, pistols, black powder guns, Buffalo rifle, vintage military rifles, target guns, and even my expensive custom tuned pistols. My Bring-Back Chicom type 53 carbine from Vietnam. Several of my guns I have presented especially to his wife. I am moving my own gun safe to their place, as they need two gun safes.

I have been very careful to be clear that I have given them my guns, they are not loaned to them. I have also kept all the receipts and gun work orders for every one of my firearms, going back a half century, even of course the Army capture papers for the carbine, and put them in protective folders so that what ever was done to any one of them, or the original cost, is there for the record.

I have decided to keep for myself, at least for now, only my TRP, my custom 9mm 1911, my carry DW ECO, and my VP9. And a 257 Weatherby and 308 Mannlicher stocked CZ.

Since my son is a watch guy, I have also given him most of my watches. The personal satisfaction of handing a gun over to a clerk at a gun store for cannot match the pride and satisfaction of putting a cherished gun into a son or daughter's hand and saying "I want you to have this..."
CO, A/1/5th SF, '72-'73
Old 06-05-2016, 12:25 PM

I'm a shooter, so I keep a gun, until for whatever reason, until I quit shooting it. So far, I'v sold a Kahr, a malfunctioning S&W (told buyer) and a couple of revolvers. I'm in the process of selling off my .45ACP pistols. At 78, with arthritis, the recoil is too much for my hands. My problem is I still have two 1911's in that caliber. So, I've promised to sell them when I use all my .45ACP stock, about 2,000 rounds. It might take me five, or six years to do so.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:09 PM

yes.....but I still have my first Colt so the other ones do not count
Old 06-07-2016, 12:44 AM

Happy with my 1911 only.....

I regret selling my springfield professional for a nighthawk grp which I also sold but have no regret because nighthawk customer service sucks. Springfield responded to all my emails returning my phone call 4 out of 6 times. Since the professional is hard to find I am happy with my TRP
Old 06-07-2016, 04:59 AM

Selling a Wilson CQB tmrw. On one side, its an awesome pistol. On the other side, its still just a bunch of steel parts.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:10 AM

I've sold and traded quite a few over the years, two that I have sold and regretted were both due to moves the first 20+years ago the second just 3 years ago, the second was during a large thinning and downsizing of my collection
Well yesterday I was able to trade my Beretta 92FS type-M and a Glock to get it back my friend never shot it so it was just as it was when he got it. A Dan Wesson ECO!🙂 I will have a commander or CCO one day soon to replace my series 70 colt that I sold over 20 years ago.😎
Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox_9 View Post
Selling a Wilson CQB tmrw. On one side, its an awesome pistol. On the other side, its still just a bunch of steel parts.
Wait, that gun has a soul!!!

Old 06-07-2016, 09:16 AM

I can't say I regret selling a 1911 but I have made some modifications that I would not do again.

When I went from IPSC to IDPA, I went in with the zeal of a convert and had ALL my compensators removed. The single stack comp guns were obsolete anyhow, and the .45 made a nice CDP with the comp gone.

But I really wish I had left my IPSC Modified "box gun" alone. I don't think there even is a Modified division any more but the gun with its short slide and single chamber compensator to fit The Box was a great shooter that I could be using in a couple of Outlaw matches. Now it is just a Commander lookalike.
Likewise I wish I had kept the OACP based Carry Comp like I had it.

My 9mm Miller Major comp gun was meant to become an IDPA ESP and it did, but after some blunders. I parted it out, selling the short slide with two barrels and compensators; then got a regular length slide. The barrel was the blunder. Instead of getting an unthreaded 5" Clark which would have fit the existing ramp cut, I went with a novelty item linkless setup that was being plugged by a gunzine writer. He made it sound so great. The darned thing never did run worth a hoot. I eventually got FLG interested and he converted it back to a standard barrel. I hate to think of the shop time and money sunk. I call it Frankenine because of its many parts donors. I am thinking about using the much recycled frame for a .22.

Some, though, saw no regrets. There were a couple of guns bought cheap because they were in flawed nickel plate. They shot ok but the appearance started nagging at me and I sold them before I could get involved in expensive refurbishment projects. One was refurbished by the next owner and came out looking great, but I bet the redo cost him more than the gun.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Most of them I sort of regret selling get sold to good friends or relatives so I can visit a lot of them and even maybe shoot them again.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 AM

My regret about 1911s has to do not with selling them (never have), but with chickening out of bringing back the one I carried in Vietnam. I finally did something about this regret when, at long last, I got two commercial mil-specs last month. And did the memories come flooding back.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:29 PM

I sure did, so I replaced it with 2 more.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:58 PM

One, unnamed brand - no; my Lou pistol - yes.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:58 PM

I sold all of my other handguns to make room for more 1911s in my safe. And, I almost sold my first 1911 in order to buy a nicer one, but came to my senses because I can always make more money and buy more guns, but I could never be able to replace my first 1911 should I get nostalgic after selling it. No regrets here.
"I did, after all, have weapons. And I liked to shoot them -- especially at night, when the great blue flame would leap out, along with all that noise ... and, yes, the bullets, too. We couldn't ignore that. Big balls of lead/alloy flying around the valley at speeds up to 3700 feet per second...." -Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-13-2016, 04:18 AM

I do.

Bought a Colt 1991A1 with CCS trigger job NIB back in 2000, best accuracy of any gun I owned out to 20 yards. Used it for EDC and carried to work when I was in USAF.

Sold it back in 2013 when panic-buying drove .45 ACP to the moon. Just wasn't shooting it anymore. What a mistake!

Trying to figure out which new Colt to get, now, and get the good times, back.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:51 PM

I regretted selling a 1911 few years back, but it went to someone that I knew and that would appreciate it. Wasn't a high value firearm, got it cheap enough and passed it along for what I gave for it. I had four back then, up in the teens now .. and all of them are special to me. Besides, my wife says I shouldn't sell any of my guns Hard to find a wife like that anymore.