Blurry Aimpoint PRO - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-23-2016, 11:48 PM

Blurry Aimpoint PRO

Got out and zeroed my new Aimpoint PRO and was not a happy camper. At close range its great. At 50 yards I start to notice some distortion and at 100 the target is just a blur.

I wear glasses with a fair amount of correction but no astigmatism. I was wearing wrap around prescription shooting glasses. Has anyone else noticed any sort of distortion at distance with the PRO? I’m switching over from an EOTech and that sight never had any distortion, just reticle issues if the brightness was turned up too high.

Last edited by mark2734; 03-24-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:24 AM
Administrator

I'd be interested to hear if this is a common issue or not as well. I plan to get a PRO as soon as I get my check from EOTech.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:16 AM

clean the lenses and let us know how it looks

Last edited by mxdave74; 03-24-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 04:13 AM

You can focus on the dot or the target. It is best to focus on the target and forget about the dot. If you are more or less lined up behind the rifle, and your Pro is positioned properly, the dot should be visible. A question, are you closing the other eye. If so, don't. Both eyes open is the proper way to use a red dot.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:36 AM

Haven't noticed this with my PRO. I shoot both eyes open with it. I like it much better than the eotechs we use at work.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:00 AM

Have not heard of this from AimPoints, at least not from shooters without an astigmatism. It can get fuzzy if the setting is very high. Have someone else look through the optic.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:28 AM

Did you have someone else look through it?
Old 03-24-2016, 07:00 AM

same here aimpoints are bulletproof.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 AM

haven't noticed anything like this on mine, but it has been a while since I have used it beyond 50 yards.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

I don't get it. The dot is not magnified at any distances, the only adjustment is brightness. If there is actually distortion on the dot, it will be there all the time, all distance.

The proper brightness adjustment on the dot is make it bright just enough to see in the lighting condition at that time, not too bright/not maximum brightness. At longer distance, it is desirable to have the dot at the lowest possible brightness while still visible.

If the shooter's vision has astigmatism, the "dot" will appear more like a blob or peanut shape, the brighter the more pronounced the peanut shape.

All of the above is based on proper working dot sight. Anything man made can be defective, even Aimpoint.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:51 AM

I do not have this problem with either of my PROs and I do have an astigmatism. What helps me the most is turning the intensity down to where the dot is not overly bright but bright enough to be visible in the lighting. All points of light look like stars to me a bit but turning down the intensity helps me in general. Both eyes open. You should not have any distortion of the target through the optic.
Looks like Ricky T beat me while I was typing this up.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 AM

I don't know about the PRO, I run a COMP M4 and it has a grid over the front lens to minimize the effect of light from the dot. If you have one, you can unscrew it. It could be messing with your vision as it is not in the same focal plane as the dot.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:51 AM

It was not the DOT that was blurry it was the target itself. When I'd move my head and look downrange the target was clear, but when I look through the sight everything was distorted.

I should have had someone else look through the sight but I was running late and the range was busy. I'll dismount it and look through it later.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:11 AM

Clean the lenses. A professional sight like Aimpoint should not have any 'lensing' effect. BTW, I buy the 200 count boxes of Zeiss lens cleaning wipes. Best thing since sliced bread for optical sights, scope, eyeglasses, watch crystals, cell phone screens, etc. I get mine at Sam's Club.

Last edited by 1saxman; 03-24-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 AM

Nope mine sighted in easy. This was 50yds and 100yds was clear.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM

The top 4 shots where just tuning it in. Very easy to sight in.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:24 PM

Turn the intensity down like rush said. My comp does this when turned up. Also shoot two eyes open looking at target not dot.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:51 PM

Mine is clear. If you're sure the lenses are clean, call Aimpoint. The eyepiece closest to your eye has a clear cover that is removable / flips out of the way. Is it blurry either way?
Old 03-24-2016, 06:14 PM

Got a chance to dismount and look through it at home. The power transformers around my house are spaced every 55 yards, making it convenient to check stuff like optics.

Like most issues with quality equipment it was user error. My wrap around prescription shooting glasses have a much smaller “sweet spot” then I thought. At handgun distance if my eye is not lined up with the center of the lens its no big deal. At rifle distance I found way more distortion then I’m will to put up with. My regular prescription glasses and sunglass are not wrap around and have a much larger sweet spot.

I may have to go to some sort of “safety glasses” type shooting glasses, flat front lens and side guards. Some ranges around my place require either side guards or wrap arounds because of splatter when shooting steel.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
Got a chance to dismount and look through it at home. The power transformers around my house are spaced every 55 yards, making it convenient to check stuff like optics.

Like most issues with quality equipment it was user error. My wrap around prescription shooting glasses have a much smaller “sweet spot” then I thought. At handgun distance if my eye is not lined up with the center of the lens its no big deal. At rifle distance I found way more distortion then I’m will to put up with. My regular prescription glasses and sunglass are not wrap around and have a much larger sweet spot.

I may have to go to some sort of “safety glasses” type shooting glasses, flat front lens and side guards. Some ranges around my place require either side guards or wrap arounds because of splatter when shooting steel.
Glad you figured it out and and it wasn't the Pro. I really like mine it's clear and clean, two eye shooting for speed, love it!
Old 03-25-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Clean the lenses. A professional sight like Aimpoint should not have any 'lensing' effect. BTW, I buy the 200 count boxes of Zeiss lens cleaning wipes. Best thing since sliced bread for optical sights, scope, eyeglasses, watch crystals, cell phone screens, etc. I get mine at Sam's Club.
- Pro blur: You are dealing with eye dominance conflict due to a minute shift of parallax. You need to learn to shoot with both eyes open and when your non-optic side eye focus on the target you will lose clarity in your optic-side eye. It's eye dominance 101. You don't start noticing this until you start looking through an optic like the Pro with a tube. The tube causes a parallax effect, even though they it doesn't have a magnification shift according to Aimpoint. I have friends who train operators for a living and they have told me that there is no such thing as a parallax free optic. The lens density is higher than the atmosphere so from a scientific perspective, it's impossible to create a parrallax free optic with a lens that has density higher than the surrounding atmosphere. The Eotech didn't have this problem as much, due to the lack of a tube and the compact nature of the true laser driven holo lens system. A solution is to practice until your eyes get used to the tube. If you can't get used to it, you might want to go to a led type window red dot sight or a RMR. I also recommend any Trijicon reflex, or maybe Mako Defense reflex if you have issues with tube red dots sights.

- Lens wipes: I would recommend to ask Aimpoint what they recommend, and not use random wipes. I recently purchased a pair of high end eye glasses and the lens' are high grade optical polycarb and the lens manufacturer recommends that I cleans the lens with a clean t-shirt rather than lens wipes or microfiber. To further support this I used high end cameras in the Navy $10K+ bodies and $5k+ lens and we used professional radio-active lens brush, and low pressure air to clean debris off the lens and followed by photo grade disposable lens cloth (you can get multiple use until it gets dirty and then you trash it). I know for a fact the lens cloth is different than the professional clothes we used. So I would recommend to use what Aimpoint recommends, whatever that is.

- Received my Eotech refund. I used the refund to purchase a new LE6920 OEM1.. I'm undecided on the the optic to purchase after much research and debate. I have also had an opportunity to get my hands on a bunch of newer optics at a local store and look through the tubes. I was going for the T2 with a Scalarworks mount. But I don't like the tube effect after used a Eotech for so long. I don't have focus issues, but I don't like the puny tube they use. The optical clarity is better than the T1, and MRO, but still has a hint of blue. I honestly like the MRO better even though it has a slight magnification and more blue in the lens color. I'm not a fan of using anything Crane doesn't use, so I'm probably not going to go with the MRO until they approve it or not. In the meanwhile I think I'm going to go with a Trijicon reflex sight, similar model I used in the Navy. I also might buy and RMR with a co-witness mount. But I have to get my hands on one to ensure it's going to work for me. I still have an ancient Tasco ProPoint, which holds zero like anything I've used. At one time I worked with a special unit of LEO that used Tasco ProPoints on 40cal subguns. They held up nicely, and that pretty much destroyed my initial opinion that the sight might not stand up to hard use. Battery life is catastrophic.. I also have a huge 55mm Simmons dot that I used on a shotgun and a few other higher quality magnified optics laying around. I really like a cheaper Vortex setup, even though it's not mil-grade I love the glass in it. Meopta is another nicely made foreign red dot reflex type sight. I have looked through a Aimpoint Comp M4s but they're so damn expensive, I'll wait for a clearance sale if I go that route otherwise it's Trijicon MRO in a Scalarworks mount.
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding. Article VI
Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 AM

I began to see this when I started getting cataracks. After getting them fixed the blurr went away.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:21 PM

Stop looking through the tube, instead, open both eyes and let the dot come to you. Concentrate on the target and the dot will appear to just show up. Keep looking at that target and adjust as needed to place the shot where you want.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:44 AM

I'd suggest not taking advice from a guy who uses 1k words, when an intelligent 50 would have done the job.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 03-26-2016, 05:26 PM

I got a Trijicon MRO for my EOTech in a manner of speaking - I think it was a good 'trade'. The Zeiss wipes are great for any decent optic or spectacles with coated lenses. Don't be so persnickety . I'll actually miss the EOTech in some ways. I was used to it and I liked the circle reticle plus dot. But I won't miss the surprise dead batteries or half a lb of dead weight that high over the barrel.