Recommended ammunition? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-04-2016, 05:27 PM

Recommended ammunition?

Can you guys please give me your suggestions for 9mm ammo for the occasional trip to the range. I don't go that often and I only run around 200 rounds thru the barrel. I recently had a problem with WWB fouling up the chamber.

I run WWB because it's inexpensive. I don't think I shoot enough for problems to appear. Just your ideas on a decent hardball cartridge would be much appreciated. I shouldn't have problems with a filthy chamber after 150 rounds should I?
Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 PM

I shoot Prvi Partizan (PPU). Cabellas and SG Ammo sells it. I get mine from SG Ammo.

Shoots really clean and is very accurate. Oh, and it's cheap too! There's all kinds of good 9mm paper punching ammo out there, a lot of which shoots really clean too.
It's just that by comparison WWB is one step above black powder.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 02-04-2016, 06:02 PM
1911 Aficionado

I don't shoot much factory ammo, but my gun does seem to "like" rounds on the longish end of the OAL range for functional reliability.
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 06:25 PM

I firmy believe the Europeans make better 9mm ammo.

Perfecta , available at Walmart fairly cheap , is made by Fiocchi.

Prvi Partizan and Sellier & Bellot are good and inexpensive.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:11 PM

I like Magtech and PMC Bronze for cost. They're accurate and clean shooting. If it's on sale then I grab some WWB.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:35 PM

I've been using ammo from FREEDOM MUNITIONS-- http://www.freedommunitions.com/#&panel1-1 --for a few years now and it's the cleanest burning ammo that I've ever come across (even the factory re-loads). The factory-direct mail-order makes it economic and...given the vagaries of my marksmanship...pretty damn accurate as well.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:46 PM

I've been using Freedom Munitions almost exclusively for the last year or so, both new and re-manufactured. I can't tell any performance difference between the two. I've purchased 9mm, .40, .45, .223, 5.56, .38 spl, and .357 mag. Out of the few thousand rounds I went thru, I think I only ran into 2-3 bad cartridges. Good customer service. I think its the overall best deal out there on ammo.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:20 AM

For range trip with a BHP Magtech 9mm Luger 115 gr FMC or Aguila 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ. I Also like to shoot Speer Gold Dot 9mm Luger 147 gr GDHP. This is used for my HD ammo. I want to make sure i practice with the rounds i need for HD.
Scott
Old 02-05-2016, 05:34 PM

Thanks everyone, I didn't realize WWB had such a bad rep.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:41 PM

I don't purchase a lot of 9mm ammo(or any other caliber) because I am a handloader. I own one really contrary P08 luger that loves PMC 115gr FMJ ammo. It is inexpensive and runs well in all of my other 9mms. I usually buy it by the case(1K) to have around in case we have another ammo panic. I am not very impressed with the recent WWB .
Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 PM

150 rounds of WWB is enough to give problems.

1,000 rounds of any of the others mentioned above would be cleaner than 3 boxes of WWB. Like Burgs said in another thread ... I'd give it to someone I didn't like.

I think I have shot all the brands mentioned above with great success in my HP's.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:49 AM

Here's some photos of what the PPU/Prvi Partizan and the RUAG/RWS ammo boxes look like, should you encounter them. I shoot a lot of the RWS too, when I can get it. Accurate and clean just like the Prvi Partizan.
Attached Thumbnails
Prvi Partizan.jpeg   RWS Ammo.jpeg  

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 02-06-2016 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:23 AM

Best results with Geco Match and American Eagle FMJ
Old 02-06-2016, 12:27 PM

RUAG was/is a Swiss company... RWS German... it seems they have some sort of common ownership or some sort of relationship now... who owns what I don't know.

I do know they make excellent ammo. When I bought my second SIG P210 the previous owner threw in almost two cases of the stuff... shoots great and is mega accurate in the 210. I still have a lot left... I oil the P210s more than I shoot them..

Anyway, RUAG has been pretty competitive of late... maybe that means they are now German owned...

FWIW

CHuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Here's some photos of what the PPU/Prvi Partizan and the RUAG/RWS ammo boxes look like, should you encounter them. I shoot a lot of the RWS too, when I can get it. Accurate and clean just like the Prvi Partizan.

Fear God and Dreadnought!!

You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight!
Old 02-07-2016, 12:23 PM

The best priced 115 or 124 grain ball ammo I can find. Brand doesn't much matter.