Commander hates jhp's. Recommendations? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-30-2016, 07:15 PM

FWIW, my Colt will eat any hollow point or fmj I feed it. The first bullets through it were 230 grain Gold Dots and it has never ever had a failure of any kind. I only run WC and Colt mags. Never had a reason to try anything else.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytcrawler93 View Post
FWIW, my Colt will eat any hollow point or fmj I feed it. The first bullets through it were 230 grain Gold Dots and it has never ever had a failure of any kind. I only run WC and Colt mags. Never had a reason to try anything else.
I only have Colt and Check-mate magazines (7rd); I believe Check-Mate makes Colt magazines, as they are indistinguishable from the Colts (Check-Mate #SKU: CM45-7-B-H ) and cost about the same if you could find them, which you can't. I have also used the Check-Mate #SKU: CM45-7-B-H-CMF, which are the same as the Colt, but with a different (Check-Mate) follower, and they also work well (they are supposed to work better with JHP ammo).

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 01-30-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:04 PM

I think you are correct
Old 01-31-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
Expensive gun, eh?
Let Wiley Clapp/Colt make it right.
This. Yes, Wilson 47 series mags would probably give good results, but the gun should work as Colt shipped it, with the mags it shipped with.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druryj View Post
This. Yes, Wilson 47 series mags would probably give good results, but the gun should work as Colt shipped it, with the mags it shipped with.
Absolutely!

My Colt Commander takes 230gr Gold Dots just fine and so should yours. Let Colt make it right.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 PM

Colt sold you this pistol under the premise that its intended for self defense, so you have every right to expect it to function with Gold Dots which are one of the most common duty loads available. Tell them to fix it.

The pistol costs too much money to accept excuses for malfunctions or to expect the owner to perform kitchen table gunsmithing.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:28 PM

I would send it back to Colt and just get it over with. They have very good customer service and generally speaking, once they fix a problem, it tends to stay fixed.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:59 PM

One simple phone call to Colts customer service got me a very concerned young lady who sent me a prepaid label for both my Commanders. FedEx two day with tracking and ins. They are already there. I got an email from her saying they had been recieved and will soon be evaluated. She said turnaround time is approx 30 days. So we will see.
I'm kinda of the opinion a gun should not be ammo specific. Why should I have to use one favorite flavor? Like a drain swallowing water a good gun should swallow any ammo it's fed.

I'm liking the Wiley Clapp SS commander they debuted recently. This experience with their customer service will influence my final decision.
COTEP#782
Old 02-07-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Woodley View Post
Need recommendations for sd ammo. My Colt Wiley Clapp Commander loves fmj but Speer Gold Dots nose dive on feed ramp.
I wouldn't feel undergunned shooting 230 ball ammo. I agree with Col. Cooper on that.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:21 PM

Thanks much for all the input! I'm gonna give the Rem.Golden Sabers a shot. I do not feel comfortable altering my aluminum feed ramp. My mags are Willson 47D's and some Colt factory. I've put about 300 rounds of WWB FMJ through this one with zero issues. If this one ends up a FMJ only gun I'm okay with that. (I've got other .45s that eat the Speer 230gr. JHP with no problem.) Thanks again, Woodley
Old 02-16-2016, 06:01 PM

If you do any grinding on a feed ramp, you're likely to eventually be buying a new frame. Same applies to changing the angle of the ramp - definitely the wrong approach. These guns were engineered and refined over a hundred years. It is unlikely that you will do anything but harm your gun by changing what has been working for years

As others have mentioned, the source of the problem more likely lies with the extractor or the mag. You can find information on polishing the extractor, breech face, adjust the tension, etc. all over this forum and on YouTube.

There isn't a problem with polishing a feed ramp but you're only polishing, never grinding. I use nothing harsher than 1,500 grit as it doesn't remove anything more than a microscopic layer that has no effect on the operation of the gun as a whole other than making the ramp a lot more slippery.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-16-2016, 06:04 PM

FYI, the new Ruger Polycase ARX ammo is a great .45 ammo that won't hang up on feed ramps of finicky pistols. Probably not good for LEO's, as it likely won't work well through auto glass. Click the lowest image in this thread to expand and see stats.

Early tests are proving to be good on everything else. Very good home defense ammo, in that it is also stopped more easily by walls, yet penetrates well into clothing, through bone, and body:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_C6kNfjiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkDbpOntns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eiRi3d5Kzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4wjFmTMLvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRiSJnroQ0o

Last edited by baccusboy; 02-16-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytcrawler93 View Post
Try some Wilson Combat 47D or ETM mags and see if there is still an issue. Altering that gun is the last resort. If it was mine it would be try mags then if that fails send it to Colt. Period.
+1. If the Wilson Combat 47D mags don't fix it, return to Colt! Unless, of course, you're a qualified expert 'smith & are certain you can make it right!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
Expensive gun, eh?
Let Wiley Clapp/Colt make it right.
That is what I would do. I wouldn't do anything to a Wiley.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:42 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
If you do any grinding on a feed ramp, you're likely to eventually be buying a new frame. Same applies to changing the angle of the ramp - definitely the wrong approach. These guns were engineered and refined over a hundred years. It is unlikely that you will do anything but harm your gun by changing what has been working for years

As others have mentioned, the source of the problem more likely lies with the extractor or the mag. You can find information on polishing the extractor, breech face, adjust the tension, etc. all over this forum and on YouTube.

There isn't a problem with polishing a feed ramp but you're only polishing, never grinding. I use nothing harsher than 1,500 grit as it doesn't remove anything more than a microscopic layer that has no effect on the operation of the gun as a whole other than making the ramp a lot more slippery.

Yes, the 1911 was designed for a specific type of ammunition, and it has been refined over the last 100+ years. But, saying that the ramp and throat can't be reworked for better feeding is simply wrong. Take a look at a garden variety Series 70 .45 and compare the throat to a .45 that has been reworked to shoot anything. Take a high dollar custom or even one like my Ruger SR1911. You'll immediately see that the throat and ramp are different.

If you are a gunsmith and have the experience with a .45 to know how to do it right, then any .45 will benefit from such work. I do not recommend doing it yourself if you aren't. I will also say that just because someone buys a $2000 custom .45 doesn't guarantee that it will digest any kind of ammo that gets put into it. Nor does the fact that it costs $400 mean it won't. Test it to see if it feeds any ammo, and if not, get it fixed by a qualified smith so it does.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-23-2016, 03:31 PM

I'd have Colt try and make it right. I had nothing but trouble with my Wiley Clapp Commander. Finally gave up and traded it.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:54 PM

We had a "Defense from you Car" class at our club last month. Golden Sabers won hands down on shooting thru car doors and windshields. We had a car door from a 70's Cadillac that was STEEL. Only 40 and 45 GS's penetrated the door. All other brands of ammo and all 9mm fell down inside the door with only one or two going through and through. They also held together going thru windshields into cardboard targets ten feet away. It was an interesting class.