1911Forum banner

Dragon Age Origins

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Valkman 
#1 ·
Wondered if anyone has played this. Getting back into games over the past year has been fun and I've kicked myself for missing out on some really stellar...dare I call them works of art?

Steam had this on sale online over New Years and even though I was home and my PC was miles away I took the time to snag the Ultimate edition with all the DLC (Downloadable Content might be the ultimate way to milk a franchise for a year or two) for nine bucks compared to thirty-two. Since I had enjoyed the Mass Effect franchise so much and Skyrim I saw this game as sort of a cross between the two and an M rated RPG outside of the Elder Scrolls (Am I the only person who has ever played the first two games Arena and Daggerfall back when they first came out?) intrigued me and I purchased it and I have been treated to a great game thus far.

The battles feel epic, the characters are great, and some of the cinematic scenes are well done, and I don't mind getting decent voice acting either. If I had one complaint its that after a year of mostly Third and First person sandbox games I have yet to get used to the camera and the hands on party system and that's more because of my comfort zone than any fault of the games.

Since getting back into games I find I have little interest in games without plots and those with the pretense of a plot really bother me and the storytelling in the game is great, so is the combat, and I'm pretty impressed with the Graphics on a game that's been out for over three years. I have read bad things about the second game, not that it's terrible but that it simply does not live up to the first but when I win this one I will likely purchase Dragon Age II and give that a go as well and I hear a third is in the works.

See less See more
#2 ·
IIRC they changed the combat in DA2, if you want to really play a good Action/RPG I strongly suggest looking at The Witcher 2 after Dragon Age. Playing the first Witcher is optional. I haven't played Dragon Age but I always liked Knights of the Old Republic back on the original Xbox. I missed out on Mass Effect 3 as well, too many games all at once lol.

#3 ·
Joe, after I got a good PC and ditched my Xbox I started using Steam and its store and I usually wait for really good deals and I buy games that interest me. It's how I wound up with Skyrim and I also bought, played, and won both the Knights of the Old Republic games and I am not much of a Star Wars fan but I found them enjoyable. Dragon Age is a bit like that but far more polished in my humble opinion.

#4 ·
I hear you, Steam is one of the only ways i've played as much as I have on my PC. The Christmas sale was awesome! My steam ID is my forum name on here as well. If you've never tried it, Sniper Elite V2 is a badass game.

Too many cool games to play with school and work going on but I try to have that happy medium.

I got hooked with Morrowind, previous elder scrolls games were before my time lol.

#5 ·
They were before my time too technically but I was industrious and my father thought learning to use computers was important and I saved up for one back in the nineties when I was about twelve (computers are somehow cheaper now and this irks me) and I bought them both, back in the day and age of Windows 95 and Dos on 3 1/2 floppy disks no less...I'm not that old but saying that does make me feel old and then as it happens I discovered girls and being into computers was not the "in" thing and I was a bit more fickle (and more interested in girls and hunting, and hunting girls but not in a "Most Dangerous Game" type of way) so I quit not long after.

Hard to believe how much things have improved and I had not realized it until I guess about two years ago or so when I bought an Xbox 360 on a whim. Man, it beat the crap out of my Super Nintendo.

#9 ·
From what I hear DA2 has a great story and the biggest gripe I've heard is that it doesn't feel as grand in scale. Still, after dedicating my last week before school to playing this game and trying to explain to a lady why I didn't call her two days in a row (I'm considering this either a second or third childhood or a pre-pre-mid-life crsis and rolling with it) It's damn good fun and it does suck you in. Had to make myself workout and the evil me who'd like to eat Chili Cheese Fritos and suck down Cokes almost won.

Still really in shock over how much games have changed between when I stopped playing them and now (late nineties up until a few years ago) pretty damn amazing all things considered. I caught up on Rainbow Six and found out that after Raven Shield they all suck (I'd only played the first two) by comparison and that I'm not a fan of hack and slash or mindless shooters like I used to be. I am trying to get back into Resident Evil but they still have me fairly ticked off that after years of the franchise I still can't move and shoot at the same time as a load of baddies bear down on me.

#10 · (Edited)
DA:O is an amazing game and I bet a played through it a good ten times on Xbox. DA2 in all honesty wasn't a bad game, it was just different. The battle system changed and like someone else mentioned it wasn't that grand on a scale. Not as much customization, they used alot of the same enviroments, and over all the game just felt rushed.
Even with all the negative against it, I wouldn't skip it. It does carry on the story fairly well and that would be benificial for when DA:3 hits.

Finished Mass Effect 3 like a week after launch and was pretty let down by the ending, but replayed it after the patch and that seem to do it some justice. I can't get enough of Skyrim which right now I'm being a loser and playing Black Ops 2. I swear Microsoft makes so much money off me buying new controllers. I break atleast one a month playing that game. lol

#11 ·
Yeah, just finished out the Awakenings expansion and the Witch Hunt DLC...only took me a large portion of my Christmas break but who needs to spend time with family and friends?

#13 ·
Bought DA2 and my brother bought me some of the DLC as a late X-Mas present. Fun and the combat is faster paced but it feels like they rushed it. Still good but going from raising an army and saving the world to bumming around the same place for years on end is a little bit of a disappointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.