1911Forum banner

need help identifying RCBS press

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Don2 
#1 ·
I picked up a couple of old RCBS press's, they are 4 station (in line) progressive
the only thing on tag is RCBS PRT . I was wondering if they are any good & would finding any info on it be possible ? I bought them sight unseen & at a price I couldnt pass up, i'm going to try & attach picture, but im not very computer savy (grandson not here to show me how) thanks

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
NICE..!!!
So you have 2 of them??

If so, thats NICE. You will have spare parts.
Or sell one?
They sell on ebay every now and then. Look for one there..!!
One selling now for $167 but its missing parts and has 11 bids pending.

Don2

#8 ·
Ya they are. I think they were the RCBS answer to a inline progressive press kinda like the bullet loading industry uses or use to use?????

A guy I know had or still has one? I use to watch him use it and it did work.
Interesting how it works compared to the rotary turret type progressive presses now being used. I have no idea which may be better.

Don2

#9 ·
thanks for all the info, I actually got 5 in the deal & a few spare parts, they have sitting for years it looks like, so hopefully out of all of em, I can get 2 working. According to RCBS they went out of production in 1985 & they have a few spare parts for them but not a wide selection. I have them soaking in diesel fuel now, tomorrow me & my grandson will clean em up & try to get em running

#10 ·
WoW, what a deal.
When you get them finished and working, shoot us a few pics so we can check them out.
For some reason, I have always liked how they worked and looked.
When I have seen them in good working condition on ebay, they went for more than I thought they would. Maybe there is a way to see history of winning bids on ebay...I have no idea.
Well have fun with the GrandSon and teach him right.

Don

#14 ·
Great, I for one would like to see the pics of them working.
I guess I just have a thing for old reloading equipment. I still have an old Herters shot shell press with the dual powder/shot drop (its all working and complete) plus a few others like a Herters single stage metallic press etc..etc..
I rebuilt them all and actually had fun doing it. I wish my Grandkids were old enough to have helped me..!!
Heck, I'm making them some wood blocks to play with now, next time will be a set of tools :D

Don2

#12 ·
That's a good find and I'd be surprised if you can't get three of them working, maybe all of them-most reloading gear is really well made and will go a lifetime or two.

It's a good chance to teach your grandson about basic mechanical stuff and how to take care of it, have fun!

#13 ·
Looks like a sort of copy of a C&H MK V a Auto Champ. Popular in the 70s & 80s. If it uses a similar rail system to hold the cases in each station, that is the weak link in the system. The rails wear out rapidly. Otherwise a very good design. I could easily load 1100 rounds an hour on the Auto Champs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.