1911Forum banner

Dan Wesson Eco 45

5K views 67 replies 18 participants last post by  NDL 
#1 ·
Been wanting this weapon. Can't find anybody that has one in Stock.
Just put a deposit down on one. Supplier said they should have it by Wednesday. They gave me the best price . Just got to drive 100 miles to them.
Gonna be hard to wait till Wednesday.

See less See more
#2 ·
You're going to love it. I picked up an ECO (.45) late last year and found it to be a reliable, top quality handgun. I liked mine so much that I bought a Valor four weeks ago. For my money, you can't beat a Dan Wesson.

#4 ·
Congrats. I'm sure the two of you will be very happy together.

Sounds like Mardet and I are on the same wavelength. I did the exact same thing buying an ECO last summer and a Valor over the holidays, both off GB as none of my LGSs carry higher end guns. I asked if they ever get high end guns. One responded yes, they carry Kimbers. I said, no, I'm talking DW, Les Baer, Ed Brown, WC or Nighthawk. They said there was no market for those in southern MD!

My ECO has now digested 250 failure free rounds and is now going into my rotation.

#5 · (Edited)
Bought an ECO in 9mm recently. Driven to/chose DW in particular because of my long time preference for lw, 3.5 inch barrel, officer grip 1911s and it's today an uncommon configuration. An excellent gun! My only real criticism is sharp slide edges. I don't like the straight eight sight set-up either, but that's personal preference. Nothing bang for buck better out there, imo, and I see a .45 version in my near future.

#6 ·
Good luck with your new DW - and I think you'll find the quality to be tops.
My advice is to follow the User's Manual for break in routine using the supplied mags.
The slide of the ECO is finished in Duty Treatment and is as tough as nails - but do a search on this forum to determine what solvents/lubes work well it. In short avoid anything with toluene, brake cleaner or CLP. Hoppe's No. 9, Ballistol, FP-10, Kroil, Mobil 1, DW Rail Lube, EB lube, FireClean are some safe solvents/lubes known to me - I'm sure there are others.
Have fun!!

#15 ·
CARDBOARD NO IT IS NOT OKAY TO USE THOSE PRODUCTS YOU WILL DESTROY THE FINISH. THE DUTY TREAT IS IMPERVIOUS TO LEATHER AND KYDEX WEAR BUT VERY SENSITIVE TO CERTAIN SOLVENTS. GUNSCRUBBER IS OME OF THEM. Just follow the instructions in the manual. Use FP-10 or Miltec 1. There are stickies on this topic at the top of the page. Read them do not ruin a fine looking Pistol. By the way I think you will really enjoy it

#22 · (Edited)
I use 'Kroil' to clean my CCO, which has the Duty Treated slide and an anodized aluminum frame ... works great with no issues what so ever.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

#23 ·
BTW, if you use leather w/the ECO, I would be sure that it was made with vegetable dyes. There are a number of fine leather makers on this forum - and I would tend to recommend them. I personally would avoid Made in China - to protect against possible chemicals/dyes used that may interact with the DT.

#32 ·
Cardboard your going to love the ECO! I started with the Valor VBOB and a couple of months later purchased the ECO in 45. The best firearms for the money hands down. I use FP-10 only for cleaning and lube, I got mine from Midway USA as for some reason it was hard to find in the locale gun shops in my area. Wednesday will be here before you know it!:rock:

#33 ·
Thanks !

I'm having a hard time locating it here too.
But today is Sunday so I can't call anybody.

I'm kinda impatient on Waiting. When you wait time seems to crawl.

Tried to find a Dan Wesson in the store so I could walk in hold it in my hand and feel it. Had a lot of people in the stores say nothing but they wished they had one.
Nobody had one. Everybody that did sold them.

Guess I need to order some FP-10 so I will have it before my DW gets here.

#35 ·
Don't ruminate over the lube. Most important is to know what NOT to use - and that has been noted in previous posts, including mine. If you recall, I mentioned that Mobil 1 works well - and you can find that easily and use it - or at least until you find another like FP-10.
I happen to use FireClean on all of my guns, including those with DT - and can tell you that it works exactly like the reviewers claim. It's better than good - in fact, close to miraculous. BTW, it's the only cleaner/lube ever endorsed by Larry Vickers who knows a thing or two about guns.
Relax and enjoy your new gun.

#39 ·
As far as a holster how about helping us a little, do you want leather, kydex, owb, iwb. What are you going to use it for???:confused:

#42 · (Edited)
So Piney Woods is in Texas??? The holster in the photo below is a Lou Alessi Talon Plus, I have a Talon Plus in Commander size and the quality does not seem to have suffered since Lou's passing. My Officers OACP is the same configuration as your ECO and I forget I am wearing it. I carry IWB at the 4 o'clock position. It is much less bulky then the holster in your link, my days are 10 to 12 hours long!

#43 ·
So Piney Woods is in Texas??? The holster in the photo below is a Lou Alessi Talon Plus, I have a Talon Plus in Commander size and the quality does not seem to have suffered since Lou's passing. My Officers OACP is the same configuration as your ECO and I forget I am wearing it. I carry IWB at the 4 o'clock position.
The pistol is Beautiful
And I like the looks of the holster.
Wished I could strap it on.

#48 ·
Would probably be the one for the Colt officers OACP. I think I paid $105 for my latest one, ( Commander size )

#49 ·
This is an Alessi CQC for the ECO, in mahogany. It's a high ride, tight to the body holster, I wear it between the 3:00 and 4:00 position right side, couldn't be happier. They do have a pretty lengthy wait list, or at least they did a year or so ago. I had a Yaqui slide that got me through the wait period.

I hope you enjoy your new ECO.

#50 ·
For a gun that size, take a look at the Wright Leather AIWB clip on. I'm a lawyer, and wear my Wilson Stealth all day long. Makes for a much quicker draw when seated or in a car. The Wright is awesome.

#52 ·
I bought a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II about 4 weeks ago.

The Dan Wesson Eco 45 is suppose to be at the gun dealer I ordered it from like this Wednesday.
I ordered it Saturday on the phone.
The barrel on the Eco is 1/2 " longer.
And both guns weight like 25 oz empty. And I think the Dan Wesson holds one more shell.

Know the 45 cost less than the 9mm, in the Dan Wesson too.
Not that I want a 9mm.

So I can't answer your question.

And its tough waiting.

What I would do. Is go to the DAn Wesson guns on this forum and ask the folks that have Dan Wesson Eco pistols. And other Dan wesson Pistols and ask them.
Sure if you twist their arm real hard, your question answered a lot faster.:)

I can't find any dealer that has one. Or anything bad to say about them.
Lots of Gun dealers hasn't even seen one.

As far as my Xdm 3.8 Compact. I had a 9mm, 40 cal, and a 45
My Nephew who is a doctor got the 9mm from me.
Trying to sell the 40 cal to a buddy to help pay for the Dan Wesson Eco 45

And I plan on Keeping the XDm 3.8 compact 45
The XDm has more bullets. But no safety like the 1911 does.
That is why I have always carried Glocks and the Polymr Springfields, Israeli Style.
With the 1911 I can carry loaded and locked.

Glad to see somebody come over and say Hi.
Thanks for the Relpy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.