22 Conversion Kits- Which ones fit a 9mm Rock? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-27-2018, 01:42 PM

22 Conversion Kits- Which ones fit a 9mm Rock?

Hi all,

Which conversion kits fit a RIA FS 9mm 1911 ? I've heard that Nelson, Marvel, and Kart are cream of the crop, but will any of these fit? How about Advantage Arms, and is AA good enough for Precision Bullseye Shooting?

Im just getting into 22 Bullseye and it gives me the excuse to buy a 22 conversion kit for my 9mm RIA if I can find one that is both accurate enough, and that fits.

Of course I could just buy a whole new 22 for this purpose, but I thought the possibility was worth exploring..

Any and all input appreciated !

Lain

Last edited by GunGurl; 06-27-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:09 AM

I've had nothing but positive experience with my Kimber 22 conversion kit. Admittedly, I have not tried it on my 9mm FS but I can't imagine it wouldn't work just as well. Magazines are $18, are plastic and hold up well. The adjustable sights are quite good and Dawson sells replacement fronts.

I intend to put the conversion unit on my RIA soon and give it a try.

I should add that on my Kimber 45 I dropped to a 17 pound mainspring and that helped with being able to use other ammo besides Mini-Mags in the conversion. The RIA 9mm comes with an 18 pound. I have dropped that to a 15 pound in mine.

Good Luck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 07:06 AM

I've got a Nelson Conversion on a RIA 9mm "GI" model.
I had to file/Dremel tool the ejector to make it work, the ejector appeared to be over sized. Works great now, got a 3-3.5 trigger job on the RIA.

*** No problems ejecting the 9mm cases with the original slide on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2018, 07:16 PM

GG,
My Kimber 22 kit works great on my 9mm Rock.
Try it.
TB
Old 07-22-2018, 02:44 AM

I recently tried to put my Advantage Arms .22 conversion on my RIA GI 9mm and it did not fit. It works fine on my Ruger 1911, Colt 1991 NRM and S&W 1911. All these are 45 ACP.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 07-23-2018, 05:45 AM

RON, was it the ejector? Filing down the ejector will fix that problem, & the 9mm (slide) cases will still eject fine, at least that's my limited experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
I recently tried to put my Advantage Arms .22 conversion on my RIA GI 9mm and it did not fit. It works fine on my Ruger 1911, Colt 1991 NRM and S&W 1911. All these are 45 ACP.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I have been running a AA conversion on a RIA tactical 9mm for 4 years with no issues
Old 08-18-2018, 11:48 AM

For the price of most of the kits.
Id buy a dedicated 22LR instead.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysGone View Post
For the price of most of the kits.
Id buy a dedicated 22LR instead.

amen
especially and in particular if he wants to compete in precision accuracy comps

Quote:
Im just getting into 22 Bullseye

for $300 bukz he can have brand new Ruger 22/45 that will not only be more reliable with different ammo, but more accurate too

..L.T.A.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
amen
especially and in particular if he wants to compete in precision accuracy comps

for $300 bukz he can have brand new Ruger 22/45 that will not only be more reliable with different ammo, but more accurate too

..L.T.A.
My Ruger Mark2 Slabside is more accurate at 100 yards then my 10-22 some days.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:25 AM

The 9mm ejector extends further to the centerline of the pistol than does a .45 acp. The 9mm case is smaller in diameter so the ejector has to extend inward so the 9mm case will hit it.. With the Kart unit you can discard the ejector entirely. I don't know about the other units. I would ask the manufacturer to make sure of the fitment.
The Nelson and the Marvel are accurate enough for Bullseye competition. In fact the national champion for the last 2 years uses a Marvel. I like the Nelson a little better in that the slide locks back after the last round. Some of the Marvel's it does not. The AA and Kimber are not used in Bullseye.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:04 AM

I got my wires crossed on the AA conversion. I was thinking Ceiner. AA is good.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 AM

Ceiner is good as a rf action gun - once it is tuned right. Buy an extra firing pin, extra magazine springs and an assortment of low force mainsprings. When you find the mainspring which works best, buy a couple extra, you will need them. I wore out one Platinum Cup, on my second one now. They won’t group as well as the Nelson, Marvel or Kart. I agree, make a decicated gun using one of the precision conversion units or a Ruger bull barrel Mark series pistol. Mk II’s were very good. Put a Volquartsen hammer and trigger in it, get a set of. grips which fit you, run the irons or use a no gunsmith mount with a good dot, and hunt X’s.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 08-22-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunGurl View Post
Hi all,

Which conversion kits fit a RIA FS 9mm 1911 ? I've heard that Nelson, Marvel, and Kart are cream of the crop, but will any of these fit? How about Advantage Arms, and is AA good enough for Precision Bullseye Shooting?

Im just getting into 22 Bullseye and it gives me the excuse to buy a 22 conversion kit for my 9mm RIA if I can find one that is both accurate enough, and that fits.

Of course I could just buy a whole new 22 for this purpose, but I thought the possibility was worth exploring..

Any and all input appreciated !

Lain
If I needed a 22lr. Id buy this befor a conversion in a heartbeat.
Todays special. Unfortunately already out of stock.
GrabAGun.com
Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Blued .22 LR 5.5-inch 10Rds
$349
Sale $289
Old 08-22-2018, 05:13 PM

The point being missed by some here is that no dedicated 22 is going to feel like a 1911 if you intend to use it as a trainer/cheaper practice. Yes, I know the recoil is different between 9 and 22 but (with the Kimber conversion at least) the mags fit in the same pouches, the gun fits the same holster so if you are practicing say for USPSA you only need 1 rig. The mags feel pretty close to the same (close enough) that reloads are doable, try doing USPSA reloads with a Ruger Mark series... after you buy a complete new rig for it...

Just my opinion respectfully submitted.

Sean

Old 08-22-2018, 06:54 PM

There was no mention of it needing to be a 1911 configuration pistol in the OP. Others and myself gave input accordingly. A set of grips will bring a Mark series Ruger to more of a 1911 character. It will come down to the OP’s exploration and consideration.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 PM

You are correct, my apologies

Old 08-22-2018, 08:00 PM

No problemo.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:37 PM

Hey everyone, sorry to ressurect an old thread. I am planning on getting a conversion for my RIA GI in 38 super. And looking at a kit by Advantage Arms. If I file down the ejector will it still work in 38 super/9mm?
thanks!
Old 07-24-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
How did it not fit ? More details as to what the fitting problem was.

Edit : Sorry, I didn’t realize that this thread was from the land of the undead....

Last edited by Steam Boat; 07-24-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
How did it not fit ? More details as to what the fitting problem was.
For me the extractor's edge protrudes a little to far to the middle, barely. You could file the edge off and make it fit.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antagony View Post
Hey everyone, sorry to ressurect an old thread. I am planning on getting a conversion for my RIA GI in 38 super. And looking at a kit by Advantage Arms. If I file down the ejector will it still work in 38 super/9mm?
thanks!
Donít alter your ejector, you May have functioning/ejection problems with the original caliber.
If the A.A. Unit doesnít work with your pistol due to the ejector, you can sell it and get one of the 1911-22 pistols that are available and have plenty of cash left over.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
Donít alter your ejector, you May have functioning/ejection problems with the original caliber.
If the A.A. Unit doesnít work with your pistol due to the ejector, you can sell it and get one of the 1911-22 pistols that are available and have plenty of cash left over.
^That's what I did. Later, I found they also make ejectors for 9mm/38 super that would fit the kit. I think by Ed Brown?
Old 07-28-2020, 01:22 PM

Ciener Conversion kit on RIA 9mm/38S

Years ago, I had an old Ciener conversion kit on a .45 AMT. It actually worked well despite reading a lot of negative things about the Ciener kit. Now all my 1911 are either 9x23 or 10mm and I had no desire to pull a well fitted ejector every time I wanted to shoot 22s.

From the Ciener website: The only difference between a .45ACP and 9mm, .38 Super, original .22LR or other caliber 1911A1 frames is the width of the ejector. Since these other cartridges' cases are smaller in diameter than the .45ACP, the ejector is widened closer to the centerline of the frame and our slide will not clear it. This is why the slide goes partially onto the frame then stops when it touches the ejector which is the long pointed forward finger up above the receiver just behind the mag well hole.

You need only remove the ejector when using our conversion. Our conversion has its own ejector, which is part of the barrel. The ejector is held in the frame by a small 1/16 pin only. Using a proper size/condition 1/16 punch, it can be pushed out and then the ejector pulled up and out of the frame.

CAUTION: GREAT CARE should be exercised not to damage/mar the frame, ejector or pin. JONATHAN ARTHUR CIENER, INC. WILL/CAN NOT be held responsible for any damage as the conversion kit is designed AND advertised for use with .45ACP firearms ONLY.

So a quick trip to the milling machine and the Ciener had a wider ejector groove. Problem solved. Yeah it looks bad as the bushing for the firing pin at the rear of the Ciener slide has a small notch, but it has worked great for al least 2000 rounds of 22 rimfire.

Last edited by Gilliac; 07-28-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 07-29-2020, 03:40 PM

Is a conversion kit worth the inconvenience as opposed to getting a separate dedicated 22 LR 1911? I mean, I can shoot both my RIA 1911 9mm and my Browning 1911 22LR alternately at the range without the spending of extra times switching parts.