Interesting behavior, at least to me - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 08:11 AM

Interesting behavior, at least to me

FYI - same post in thefiringline.com, so forgive me!

With the critical shortage of small pistol primers going on, I tried something yesterday that yielded "interesting" results. I found 500 old CCI small rifle primers in my inventory. Having read in several forums where people have successfully used CCI 400 small rifle primers as substitutes in small pistols by backing charge way off, I decided to try it in a 40 S&W.

I loaded 10 rounds using 2.8 grains of Bullseye over a 180 grain HiTek-coated lead bullet. I loaded them in a mag for one of my striker fired pistol. Three of the ten failed to fire, even with an apparently good strike on the primer. OK, I concluded that these were too old to used reliably even though the ones that did fire seemed very mild in recoil yet still cycled the pistol. There were certainly no signs of over-pressure.

I was going to toss the three failed rounds but decided just for the heck of it to see if they'd fire in a hammer fired pistol. I didn't expect them to, but they did! What's up with that?

Lastly, and perhaps of more concern and reason not to use them in pistol loads was that I noticed when shooting them in both guns, I could see sparks fly up from the ejection port on both guns. I then fired my normal reloads in both guns and there were no sparks. Obvious conclusion - NOT GOOD, so no more magnum rifle primers in pistols. However, I wonder what causes this? Seems like over pressure would cause more recoil and deformed brass, neither of which were in evidence. Any ideas?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Using SRP's instead of SPP's in an emergency is a common occurrence.

NRA Life Member
Old 07-31-2020, 08:32 AM

Rifle primers, or so I've read, tend to be made of much harder metal to survive a rifle firing pin.

It's not that they were too old, as you suspected, but too hard for a lighter pistol pin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 01:32 PM

Agree with both above posts. Small rifle primers are said to use heavier cups like small pistol magnum primers do to contain higher pressures of rifle and magnum loads. I have one striker fired 9mm that will fire standard primers 100% but with magnum or rifle primers they drop to only 75%. The rifle and magnum primers work in another striker fired pistol and all fire in a hammer fired pistol...

Primers aren't as delicate as some think. The oldest primers I have reloaded were 25 years old (time in my possession), many reloaders have successfully used primers much older (IIRC one member reportedly used 60 year old primers successfully).
Old 08-01-2020, 05:17 AM

Something I thought of last night...

OP might want to try the "Pencil Test".
Drop a regular #2 pencil into the barrel, point straight up, and press the trigger.
See how high the pencil jumps.
Try that in both of the pistols you used and see what the difference is?

As an aside, this test should be done with an empty chamber, as a loaded round
will probably cause false results, and may damage the pencil.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:05 AM

Your post said magnum rifle primers, these will be inconsistent at best. CCI 450 Small Rifle MAGNUM primers have thicker cups than CCI 400 Small Rifle STANDARD primers. I expect problems if using MAGNUM rifle primers in pistols. However, CCI Techs have been quoted as saying the CCI 400 Small Rifle STANDARD primer is the exact same as CCI 550 Smal Pistol MAGNUM primer. I use the 400 and 550 interchangeably with absolutelu ZERO difference in performance.
I'm told the Winchester Small Pistol MAGNUM primer is also the same as Winchester Small Rifle STANDARD primer but have not yet tested this.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:41 AM

Back when I shot IPSC with 1911's in .38 Super I used small rifle primers all the time when making major. Worked great.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreloader View Post
Your post said magnum rifle primers, these will be inconsistent at best. CCI 450 Small Rifle MAGNUM primers have thicker cups than CCI 400 Small Rifle STANDARD primers. I expect problems if using MAGNUM rifle primers in pistols. However, CCI Techs have been quoted as saying the CCI 400 Small Rifle STANDARD primer is the exact same as CCI 550 Smal Pistol MAGNUM primer. I use the 400 and 550 interchangeably with absolutelu ZERO difference in performance.
I'm told the Winchester Small Pistol MAGNUM primer is also the same as Winchester Small Rifle STANDARD primer but have not yet tested this.
I have used the winchester spm and lr in 357mag loads. Ran both across the chrono and the difference was at most 40fps. Not enough to get worried about.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:33 AM

During a couple of the great primer shortages I have used about 5000 small rifle primers, standard and magnum, when that was all I could find. Mostly in 9mm and some in 357 Mag.
I could tell zero difference in any loads, except my Ruger LC9s and Walther PPQ where not 100% reliable. My CZ 75, Sig P210A, and FN High Power fired every one with no problem. All my revolvers set them off fine.
I would use them with confidence except in my striker fired guns.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:59 AM

I found that what I thought was a case of small pistol primers was large.
So I will be shooting more .45s and using small rifle primers in 9mm as the panic continues.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the45er View Post
Lastly, and perhaps of more concern and reason not to use them in pistol loads was that I noticed when shooting them in both guns, I could see sparks fly up from the ejection port on both guns. I then fired my normal reloads in both guns and there were no sparks. Obvious conclusion - NOT GOOD, so no more magnum rifle primers in pistols. However, I wonder what causes this? Seems like over pressure would cause more recoil and deformed brass, neither of which were in evidence. Any ideas?
Sparks from the ejection port? Without having video shot from the side I am not sure how you would be absolutely sure of where the sparks were coming from during the firing sequence as things happen so quickly.

My guess would be this-

Have you examined the head of the cartridge and the breach face of your pistols thoroughly? It is possible that with a bit more gas output from the rifle primers in a weaker pistol case there was some leaking past the primer and gas being deflected up carrying bits of fouling with it....
Old 08-03-2020, 04:51 AM

Using old primers....

It is not "how old" the primers are, it is how the primers were stored over the years.

If primers are stored in a relatively non-humid and consistent yet moderate temperature, they should work fine even if they are "old." The worst thing is to have oil on a reloading press that may contaminate the primers.....

I shoot so many rounds of ammo per year, my primers never get old since I am constantly purchasing more primers.......
Old 08-03-2020, 06:53 AM

Clearly, we should all stop using striker fired pistols immediately.
The testing has confirmed as much.......
Old 08-03-2020, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, it's quite difficult to de-activate a primer, except in the conventional way.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-03-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Clearly, we should all stop using striker fired pistols immediately.
The testing has confirmed as much.......
Oh, don't scare me like that...

Er, wait...uh, Lemon Squeezers don't count as "striker fired" do they?

Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM

Hmmmmm.....lemon squeezer........yes, I shall use that terminology this weekend. I hope thatís not where Striker got his handle!