Hammer involuntarily drops after racking the slide - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-11-2020, 09:10 PM

Hammer involuntarily drops after racking the slide

Hello, I am new to the forum & have a question that I cannot find an answer to. Maybe I'm just not using the correct nomenclature, I don't know. My question is in regard to re-assembly. I just got done re-assembling a Series 80 Colt Government model 1911. I took my time with it, double, triple checked & made sure everything was put back correctly, by the book. I installed a new mainspring, magazine spring, a heavier firing pin spring & 16.5 recoil spring. I safety checked it in every manner possible & it performs without fault. My issue comes into play when I rack the slide, without my finger on the trigger, sometimes the hammer drops & it seems almost random. Sometimes the hammer drops & sometimes it doesn't, though I feel like it drops when I really try & let it rip. I tried doing it without my palm on the grip safety, but can't seem to replicate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:21 AM

Is the sear spring bent? Or did you try to adjust it before assembling? If there is not enough pressure on the sear, it could cause your problem
Old 07-12-2020, 07:49 AM

The concern is called hammer follow. This started only after your changes?
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2020, 08:05 AM

...what else did you do to it. Be honest.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:45 AM

Never attempted to adjust the sear spring. Only took it out, cleaned & re-installed.

Yes, I'm pretty sure only after, as I don't remember this being an issue before, but I don't use the pistol that frequently.

Those were the only things I did to it, other than clean & lube it. I made no attempt at any custom work or changes. All new parts were from Ed Brown.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:03 AM

You don't say which "new mainspring" you used. A lot of aftermarket mainsprings are rather lighter than OEM springs.

Try reinstalling the original mainspring to see if that solves your problem. If it does, that would suggest to me that you should have a look at your hammer & sear before using your Ed Brown mainspring.

You could also try bending your sear spring a bit to stiffen up your sear, but I'd first try reinstalling the old mainspring.

Last edited by cleger; 07-12-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:05 AM

23# Mainspring
Old 07-12-2020, 09:07 AM

That's not too bad. Still, I'd try swapping back and forth between the two springs to see.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:38 AM

The most common error in reassembly is the position of the left leg of the "sear" spring.

Remove the main spring housing (MSH) and be sure the left leg of the sear spring is positioned correctly on top of the left side of the sear> not under!

Smiles,
Old 07-12-2020, 09:49 AM

Name:  1911 Sear Spring.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  12.8 KB
VCDL
Old 07-31-2020, 08:19 PM

Thank you all for your replies & help. I finally had a chance to take it apart & put it back together. I replaced the 23# mainspring with the old one & the problem is still persisting. I believe there is some adjustment that needs to be done to the sear spring as there seems to be not enough tension. I appreciate all of you for weighing in & providing me insight.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro 1 View Post
Great picture Pedro. Thanks for sharing
Old 07-31-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAW View Post
Great picture Pedro. Thanks for sharing
Your'e welcome, I believe it's one of Niemi24S's.
Pedro.
Attached Thumbnails
1911 EARSPRINGPOSITION_zpsf3f5e121.jpg  
VCDL
Old 07-31-2020, 10:38 PM

For a tutorial if needed, Google: "Weigand 2.5# trigger job"

Smiles,
Old 08-01-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro 1 View Post
Your'e welcome, I believe it's one of Niemi24S's.
Pedro.
I know Dan puts his illustrations out there and expects no attribution but I always acknowledge his work and appreciate when credit is given.
Joe
Old 08-01-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthewelder View Post
Thank you all for your replies & help. I finally had a chance to take it apart & put it back together. I replaced the 23# mainspring with the old one & the problem is still persisting. I believe there is some adjustment that needs to be done to the sear spring as there seems to be not enough tension. I appreciate all of you for weighing in & providing me insight.
Dan,
The flat leaf spring can become bent in a way it doesn't provide enough or too much force on any of the 3 individual leaves. If you don't have a method to measure the force on the sear, you should either seek a professional or simply replace the spring. They're cheap. If that doesn't cure it, it's possible you have a damaged sear or hammer.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:50 AM

Are you letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber when this happens ?
Old 08-01-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
Are you letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber when this happens ?
After trigger works a few slide drops are often used to prove that the hammer does NOT drop.

It is needlessly hard on the action to do it many times, but a few time to prove out trigger work is not going to harm anything and part of the safety check after trigger work.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:00 AM

Hold the trigger forward with your left hand and drop the slide. If it doesn’t make the hammer follow, you most likely have trigger induced bump. This means the trigger is actually heavy enough to bump the sear and disconnector under inertia and make the hammer drop.

The best way to remedy this is with a lightweight gunsmith fit trigger.

Now if you hold the trigger forward and dropping the slide still makes the hammer follow, now you should be looking at worn out parts or misadjusted springs.

You have to rule out trigger bump first though.

All of this is assuming that you don’t have a bubba’d gun or took tension off the sear spring trying to get a lighter pull and you assembled the gun properly.
http://www.evolutionarmory.com/

Last edited by EvolutionArmory; 08-03-2020 at 06:05 AM.