1911Forum banner

Colt Python Royal Blue Finish

15K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  On_Target 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Are all blued colt pythons finished in the Royal Blue finish, or was that a special option?

#3 ·
The Colt "Royal Blue" finish was always known inside the factory simply as "the Python finish".

In fact, the only difference between the Python Royal Blue finish and the satin blue-black finish on say, a Ruger, is the polishing.

The actual blue finish used on most all factory guns is pretty much the same hot salts bluing chemical process.

The difference between all the others and the Python is the level of hand polishing.

When other guns have been inspected, boxed and have been shipped, the Python is still on the line being polished.
It's the extra polishing that is the difference between a regular satin black-blue gun and the deep mirror-like BLUE of the Python.

Colt always made their own wooden polishing wheels with leather covers.
The polishing media got progressively finer, and went much lower than any other manufacture used.
The final media had the consistency of flour.

The people doing the polishing started out polishing "budget guns" like the Official Police.
Only after years of experience, the best of them were allowed to polish the Python.

The "top" was the Pythons of the 1950's and through most of the 60's. These were the days of the mirror-bright polish and blue job that was the finest ever used on a production gun.

After the 60's, the level of polishing slipped a little but the Python is still the best polished production gun in the world.

People often rage about the high price of the Python, but one reason to the price is the amount of hand labor, including the polishing needed to produce the Python.

Apparently, Colt is selling Pythons through the Custom Shop while production is temporarily down at the factory.
It's available in stainless or blued, 4 or 6 inch barrels.

#4 ·
An urban legend

I've talked to three different people, including one in the Custom Shop, at Colt's within the last week. Here is the "straight poop" on the Python:

Colt is definitely NOT producing Pythons in the Custom Shop, haven't for "quite a while" (according to the fellow I spoke with), and haven't had any remaining inventory for "at least" a year.

Colt has no plans - none, according to all of their representatives - to resume production of the Python at least through 2006.

Will the Python return at all? They all told me that nothing had been said about the future of the model.

So, if you want a Python you'll be buying a used one - at least for the foreseeable future.

#5 ·
Take your Smith, or Ruger, or whatever, and price a Python-like refinish of it; $300-$500.

#6 ·
Thanks all for your comments.

Dfariswheel: Thanks for your detailed response on the pyhton "royal" finish. I saw a python at a gun show in the spring, and I am sorry I let it get away (should have, could have, etc) BTW, during the late 1970s through 1981 I worked in a building on Van **** Ave in Hartford, which was next to the Colt (Onion) building (factory, now its the home of US Firearms, I think). On nice days we took long walks during lunch hour around the Colt factory. I wasn't into handguns then, so I didn't pay much attention to the factory. I am now considering buying a python at auction with serial numbers from that time frame, small world huh?

#7 ·
I totally lucked out last spring. Was sitting at the local gun shop sipping coffee and in walks this elderyly gent. Told the guy he wanted to sell a gun he bought new in 1971. Never shot it. Sat in a drawer for all these years. It was a 6" Python, box, receipt, sight screw, etc. I offerred him $800 on the spot. He took it, I got it. I have shot it! Best single action I have ever felt. My friends begged me not to shoot it. I came to this board, took a poll and the shooters talked me into it. I have since put on a Millet front and rear sight and some pachmyars for shooting. No regrets. The finish is fabulous. Every boy should own a Python!
:rofl:

#13 ·
On Target what was the turn around time for that job to get done?
Also what was the price?

The reason I ask is I just picked up a nice blue'd python and would like to have the info incase I need to have it redone...

Thanks!

#15 ·
Thanks brother... Do you recall how much the job cost?

#16 ·
Well just for anyone that wants to know :) ....

The refinish of Royal blue is 250 dollars and then cost of other parts if replacement is needed. It can take up to 35 working days to get the firearm back and it leaves totally up to factory standard and code...

There it is!!

#17 ·
Oops, missed your "cost question" NaturalSelector. The nickel job was $240 including shipping back to me. Colt also replaced the mainspring and other small parts, according to the custom shop smith that did the job, at no additional cost. Its tight and looks like a new gun, I'd do it again if I had another gun that needed work. My three blued Pythons are mint, two are unfired, one had less then a box through it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.