1911Forum banner

Electronic ear protection

2K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  SimonRL 
#1 ·
Looking for suggestions for an electronic ear muffs for a LARGE head. I wear a size 8 hat. Thanks

#14 · (Edited)
7 3/4

7 3/4 and they have room for more; the bow is flexible.

Since my son moved out I have extra pairs: one is hanging near my computer as a music/sound headset. Each has a mini-jack port For input. Sound quality is good enough unless I’m actually listening , as opposed to running music as a background.

Now that written, the purpose for which I use electronic muffs is the better to hear you with through my plugs. The plugs are 28 - 30dB. Muffs ~20dB. IIRC that adds up to >30dB. That little bit extra does make a difference. To listen and talk, I’ll turn on the muffs*.

*- Forget to turn them off and replace the dead batteries next range session. Which is why I use re-chargeable batteries.
\ -;

#10 ·
I have a couple of different Peltor's but every set of ear muffs I have or have seen all are adjustable and I don't have a problem with them even having a bean like yours.
But when I recently went shopping for a boonie hat and seeing the size selection I realized another meaning of pin head.

#12 ·
Most ear guards come in two sizes Adult and Youth. Adult should work for you.

I have several pair of "electronic ears." The most expensive are my least favorite. Even with E/R's I use foam inserts as well. Hearing damage is cumulative, even small incidences can over time be damaging! Howard Leight and Peltor as well as some other major brands have replacement parts as they wear out especially the pads. I have a couple of these that are on their second or third cushions!

Smiles,

#22 ·
Can I encourage you to look at electronic plugs? The highest noise reduction rating for muffs is about 25. It is not hard to find electronic plugs that will give you a solid 30 reduction. The difference is a lot.

I have had a set from a subsidiary of Axil corp for about 5 years, with complete satisfaction. I occasionally am around enough noise that I need muffs on top of the plugs.

#26 ·
Most of the electronic earmuffs have passive rating up to about 25db, but your average pistol shot is rated over 150db and the earmuffs have electronics that are designed to respond to, and dampen, anything over app 80db. The plugs do not do that.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-shooting-ear-protection/

https://besthearinghealth.com/hearing-protection-for-shooting/

If you're curious about decibel ratings and what they relate to check out the link below. For what it's worth, an average conversation held at room level is about 60db.

https://www.earq.com/hearing-health... loss happens so,difficult to notice at first.

BTW, I use Walker Razors with gel ear caps and foamies when I shoot indoors.

#24 ·
MSA Sordins expand quite a bit. I can't imagine they wouldn't work up to size 8.

I went thru a lot of electronic ear pro up until I found the Sordin line. Electronic ear pro always seems to have a compromise in some respect, but the Sordins for me had the best features. If you shoot only pistol pro ears are ok. I find them too bulky for a good cheakweld on long guns. Peltors are not very sweat proof, I have a few around here that didn't last more than a year in the Florida humidity. I haven't tried Peltors $600.00 military grade units.

Then I tried the Sordins. First the Sordin supreme pro X, with the gel pads. They seal noise out better than the foam pads and are much more comfortable. They are very water resistant and have lasted 10 years now with out a hiccup. The shape is very long gun friendly. They are going to be retained as a back up to my new Sordins. The Swatcom Active8 by Sordin are the newest improved offering. They have stereo speakers in them and are fully submersible, come with the gel pads and a nice thick carry bag for storage. I first purchased a set for my son whose in the Military. In Multicam of course. He absolutely raves about them. Since My 10 year old Sordins are getting a bit beat up I got a set for myself. They do work great as I new they would. SRSTactical.com is the place to get them.

#25 ·
one thing to keep in mind. If you shoot high intensity cartridges, indoors, or work at a range and are around gunfire every day you should go with muffs instead of plugs if you do not double up.

Sound does not just travel through the ear canal to the inner ear. It's also conducted through the skull and sinus to the ear nerves. Nothing you can do about the sinus but covering the skull right behind the ear does reduce high intensity noise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.