1911Forum banner

Won't be loading 9mm for a while

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Rwehavinfunyet 
#1 ·
Not when I can buy 115gr RN reman to sammi specs from Freedommunitions.com for $.17/rd and $7.50 flat rate shipping!! Or new for $.19

Got 135gr xtreme hollow points @$.19/rd! Soft shooting and zero issues!

Worth checking out!
https://www.freedommunitions.com/

#3 · (Edited)
Reloading 9mm

Freedom Munitions has a great price, but their web site shows the cost of the remanufactured 115 gr. RN is $ .18 per round or $9.00 for a box of 50. They also show the flat rate shipping is for orders over $ 99.00.....this is still a very good retail price.

However, I load my 9mm to different specs. for competition shooting. I use light loads with specific powders that are very accurate in my gun, and I load hot self defense loads for guns I might use for concealed carry.

I use 124 gr. Bayou Hi-Tek flat point bullets for most of my range practice and action shooting games, and not including the cost of the brass, which I usually get free at the ranges where I shoot, the cost of reloading 50 rounds is under $8,00, and there is no shipping. I use a 130 power factor for IDPA, with Tite Group powder, and the load is accurate and extremely reliable in my STI Eagle. I use lighter springs for these lower velocity rounds, and have an 18# main spring and an 8# recoil spring......this provides optimal sight tracking when the gun cycles.

I find it better to tailor a 9mm load by reloading my own brass, .....rather than purchase remanufactured ammo when I have no idea how it will perform for reliability and accuracy in my gun(s) when light or even super hot loads are needed......

#4 ·
Freedom Munitions has a great price, but their web site shows the cost of the remanufactured 115 gr. RN is $ .18 per round or $9.00 for a box of 50. They also show the flat rate shipping is for orders over $ 99.00.....this is still a very good retail price.

However, I load my 9mm to different specs. for competition shooting. I use light loads with specific powders that are very accurate in my gun, and I load hot self defense loads for guns I might use for concealed carry.

I use 124 gr. Bayou Hi-Tek flat point bullets for most of my range practice and action shooting games, and not including the cost of the brass, which I usually get free at the ranges where I shoot, the cost of reloading 50 rounds is under $8,00, and there is no shipping. I use a 130 power factor for IDPA, with Tite Group powder, and the load is accurate and extremely reliable in my STI Eagle. I use lighter springs for these lower velocity rounds, and have an 18# main spring and an 8# recoil spring......this provides optimal sight tracking when the gun cycles.

I find it better to tailor a 9mm load by reloading my own brass, .....rather than purchase remanufactured ammo when I have no idea how it will perform for reliability and accuracy in my gun(s) when light or even super hot loads are needed......
This should be the end of the thought process! More accurate, made for your gun, still cheaper than FM junk reman, you can make it when you want it, the list goes on. You can carve out an hour somewhere in the week to load them.

#5 ·
Please, do not let this thread degenerate into negative comments about purchasing re- manufactured ammo. I hate to see the OP dumped on for bringing us constructive information about lower cost 9mm ammo.

I think most of us understand the benefits of handloading our own vs "store bought".

#6 ·
I agree with Rod. And why exactly would this automatically be "junk" remanufactured ammo as opposed to someone reloading their own "remanufactured" ammo with plated or budget FMJ projectiles? You cant tailor the rounds to the gun or to your specific wants, granted. But that doesn't make it "junk". There are plenty of shooters who just punch paper at close ranges and something like this would work perfectly fine for their purposes. If I didn't enjoy the hobby aspect of reloading, or just didn't have the time, I'd be all over this ammo. Saving a couple bucks per 50 rounds by reloading your own can be pretty hard to justify if there is no need for precision ammo.

#7 ·
Just recently purchased a 9mm and got a very good supply of AE at a really good price. Have many, many hours into cleaning, sizing and depriming and then wet tumbling about 8,000 cases. Just going to start loading some test loads today to try at the range tomorrow.

Reloading is so worth it with my 45's but I'm really starting to wonder about the cost advantage with 9's with the good prices available now.

Thanks for the info on Freedom Ammunitions as I've heard of them but not from someone that I would take the endorsement from, before your post. With their pricing the cost saving is very, very little.

#8 ·
Sorry guys, I guess I should have been way more specific! As my post indicates, I was referring specifically to Freedom Munitions REMAN. Not any other brand and not their new stuff. There have been far too many extremely negative posts about their remanufactured stuff to ignore. I call it "junk" just like thousands of people call Remington Thunderbolt & Bucket O' Bullets garbage. It is simply in comparison to a far superior product that you can load yourself. Just trying to steer people clear of an obviously inferior product. The object was NOT to badmouth all reloaded ammo available for purchase. There are plenty that are respectable.

#9 ·
Freedom had plenty of bad reviews back when the ammo crunch was going on and maybe more recently. I've read some better reviews of their more recent stuff. I haven't used the stuff, ever, so I cant comment on whether it's ok these days or not. At the prices, and I were looking for cheap 9mm for paper punching, I would certainly try a few boxes.

#12 ·
My current 9mm loads are costing $0.116 each, including shipping charges and taxes (even if I don't pay sales tax at time of purchase, the State of Ohio requires a "Use Tax" that is EXACTLY the same as "Sales Tax"). Note that I didn't include any cost for 9mm brass; it is too readily available for free just by bending over and picking it up...

My 11.6 cent 9mm loads were developed for my purpose, for my pistol, and they shoot extremely well for me. Therefore, I plan to continue to reload my 9's, even with the low prices for reman 9mm available these days...

However, I am OK if others choose not to load 9mm... To each his own!

#15 · (Edited)
For someone who has not made the investment in reloading equipment, it is imperative that they seek out the least expensive, high quality, dependable ammo that is available. That's the only way that a person who isn't incredibly affluent and who doesn't reload can afford to regularly shoot these days.

For those of us who do reload, we recognize how lucky we are to be able to select from a massive variety of bullets and powders to suit our needs. In my case, I can reload 100 9mm rounds using not FMJ bullets, but premium quality Precision Delta 115 grain JHP's, loaded to about 1150fps, for 13.5 cents a round (buying 2+ 1000 count cases at a time). That's 100 JHP's for $13.50.

THAT's why I still reload 9mm's.

#25 ·
Well put! 9mm would be tough to justify a monetary ROI on your loading equip, but the versatility and accuracy speak volumes.
Someone brought up the deal on Tula......there are tons of cheap offerings if that's what you are after. I am passionate about my reloading and the benefits that come with it. I know the OP was just passing on a seemingly good deal and thank you for that. I just have a hard time digesting why in the world a person (with the exception of those that don't like to load) with their own loading equipment would spend more money for ammo like FM, that is no where near what you can make yourself. But, that's me, I'm crabby, hardheaded and don't see the sense of things sometimes!

#17 ·
I agree with Rwe.
I am loading about half my 9mm with Xtreme 147 gr plated, bought on sale or with free shipping, or both. Say 9 cents. Powder a penny, primer 3 cents, brass free range pickup. 13 cents a shot instead of 21. And my other half loaded with coated bullets is even less. I have the time and equipment so there is no overhead expense.

#19 ·
I have some friends and relatives that shoot factory ammo.

I ask them to save their brass for me.

I especially like that my sister and her hubby shoot lots of .38 spl so I wind up with some good .38 spl brass to reload.

Prior to reloading, I bought factory ammo.

I've still got lots of that set back for a rainy day.

I also figure that if I ever run short of brass, I can shoot the factory stuff and then reload it.

#21 ·
I won't load 9 as long as I can find it for 20 cents and less

Loading isn't fun/enjoyable to me...it's a necessary chore
I don't shoot all that much 9 anyway
I might save $50 a year by loading

Sure ain't worth it to me to save $5 bukz a month

If I could find someone to mow my yard for five a month, I'd never start my mower either.....

LTA

#22 ·
The comment about not having to reload was somewhat tongue in cheek. Once winter loosens it's grip, I go can go through 1k rds a week or more. I have difficulty at times keeping up with my own reloads.
I was simply giving a heads up to what IMHO is/was a good deal for ammo that I have found to work well for me.
FWIW I chrono'd some Freedom 135gr last week. It averaged at 940 with only a 9.9SD.
For the price I paid and for shooting steel at less than "silhouette" ranges with a load that doesn't beat me or my gun up, that's good enough for me.

#23 · (Edited)
I will not shoot freedom munitions after I got a lot of 147 grain ammo that was so under loaded that it wouldn't cycle any of my guns. I reload 9mm mainly so that I can get the quantity of ammo loaded to a spec that I know I can depend upon my guns to cycle for segnificantly cheaper than factory ammo.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

#27 · (Edited)
Purchasing vs. reloading 9mm ammo....

I won't load 9 as long as I can find it for 20 cents and less

Loading isn't fun/enjoyable to me...it's a necessary chore
I hear you Cappi! But since you don't shoot a lot of 9mm, I completely understand.....I don't enjoy reloading either, but with the high volume of ammo I shoot, I purchased top of the line reloading presses and equipment about 30 years ago, and still have and use them.

I shoot a high volume of 9mm ammo for IDPA and Steel Challenge matches and probably shoot about 12K rounds of 9mm per year. Even though I hate to reload, when my Dillon 1050 is set up with brass in the case feeder, 100 primers in the primer tube, and 100+ bullets in the bullet tray, it takes me approximately 7 minutes to load 100 rounds.....

Since I shoot more 9mm ammo than most people, and can make it quickly (even though I don't enjoy reloading), I still have the ability to tailor may ammo to suit my needs, and I can make a box of 9mm with Bayou Hi-tek bullets for around $8.00 or 16 cents per round.....I find a lot of free 9mm range brass, so that does not include the cost of brass. If I could purchase 9mm at retail for 20 cents per round with shipping, even though that is a very good retail price, since I shoot about 12K 9mm rounds per year and already have the ability to make quality reloads, I save 4 cents per round since my cost is about 16 cents per round, and still save roughly $500 per year on making my own 9mm to my specs.....for me, that is still worth it, even though I don't enjoy reloading.....:grumble: If I can save $500 per year on my shooting needs for 9mm, that will allow me to purchase more guns in the future....! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.