1911Forum banner

Help me compare CCO's vs. bobbed commanders

12K views 41 replies 33 participants last post by  KITT 
#1 ·
I'm getting the itch to make a new 1911 purchase. I currently own a lightly customized 5" Springfield, a Colt o1991 Combat Commander and a Sig C3, all in .45ACP. I really like all three and have no reason to part with the C3 other than I basically need to, to generate funds for this next purchase and I'm looking to downsize the collection somewhat. (I'd sell the C3 and likely one other gun to fund this new purchase and reduce my overall count by one gun.) What I have in mind basically takes the place of the C3 in my meager collection, anyway.

I don't often carry a 1911. Usually a Shield IWB or j-frame .38 in a front pocket. But this 'spot' in my collection is reserved for something lightweight and geared toward carry.

I really like the CCO configuration and my overall collection has always leaned toward smaller, "more carryable" models. All of my revolvers are sub-4" barrels (except for Model 18/.22) and my Springfield, the Colt and a couple BHP's are really my only "full-size/weight" guns.

For openers I'm really more interested in conversation regarding the general characteristics of these configurations and not necessarily brand or model suggestions. (When it gets model-specific I am currently looking at the Colt WC CCO; Dan Wesson CCO; Colt WC Commander (which I might eventually bob-tail) and the Dan Wesson Guardian.) For full disclosure if all four were in front of me right now I'd be leaning towards the WC CCO.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could post some good side-by-side comparison pics of a CCO and bobbed Commander. Would like to see them posed grips-up, resting upside down on their slides for a good comparison shot of that bottom-grip area.

The 1-round difference in capacity is not really a huge factor and one advantage I do see is potential mag commonality between a future commander purchase and my current Springfield and Colt.

Final disclosure; the last two times I started shopping like this I settled on a case of .45 ammo instead and shot the ones I have!

I really appreciate this great forum. Thanks in advance for your input.

See less See more
#31 ·
I use to carry one of my Commanders or go down to a .380 Gov't. sized Colt if the Commander size was to large. Tried carrying a New Agent and a Defender, but never felt 100% with their dependability. Finally got a WC CCO which has become my everyday 'carry'. Still prefer the 'balance' of the Commander size, but the concealability of the Officer sized grip and those thin panels, to me anyway, makes the Clapp CCO the perfect compromise for concealed carry.

#33 ·
In my life, I carry my CCO way more than any other 1911 configuration. I have an ECO, but for some reason like and shoot the CCO better, even at distances less than 21 feet. The DW's in general definitely have better fit and finish, but it's a carry gun (to me) so that distinction didn't really enter my mind. Besides, to me the fit an finish difference is the difference between "very good" and "outstanding" - neither is a 1990's Nornico. The WC CCO has never missed a beat from round one to 1000+ to date. The DW required "break in" but has been solid since 350+ rounds. Both companies make great guns and pretty much anything from either will server you well.

NOTE: I carry IWB and a lightweight CCO carries easier for me than a lightweight Commander. Never owned a Bobtail, but a longer grip is a longer grip. Just standing there either is fine. When you bend over to tie your shoes, or are hunched over sitting on bleachers at a hockey game a longer grip sticks out more, rounded heel or not. But, they both are going to stick out so it's whatever you feel you can accept is good enough. YMMV.

#34 ·
Comparison with photos

The OP requested some photos...so here goes. These are quick iPhone photos, no special setup. These are a Dan Wesson bobtail commander (stainless) and CCO (duty black), both in 45ACP. It's tough to get a good perspective to show the grip comparison accurately. The CCO grip is shorter (one round) than the commander, but it is bobbed only very slightly. Hope this helps your comparison! I went through the same thing, and eventually wound up with both.

#37 ·
My Sig Carry Nightmare . . .

I could not be more pleased with my Sig "Carry Nightmare", 4.2" barrel, full- sized 8 rnd. mag., .45 ACP, round butt, black nitron finish w/brushed stainless hammer, trigger, safety, releases, etc.. Grips upgraded to VZ B/W Zebra G-10 w/thumb notch to match/off-set brushed stainless trim. ;)

Sig Sauer Stock Photo:
. . . Sorry, my camera's on the fritz! :rolleyes:

#38 · (Edited)
Important to note about 'printing'. Sometimes, way too much is made of 'printing'. In some circumstances for some people no degree of printing can be allowed. However for many people in many circumstances, some degree of printing is of no consequence whatsoever. And often, when printing does occur, a bulge here, pokey edge there, even if another person noticed it, they would not know for certain what the bulge or pokey edge was caused by, nor would it be any business nor concern of theirs.

If you're at work and any kind of printing would be a big problem, that's one thing. But when you're out and about, carrying legally, an occasional bulge or pokey edge when you bend over to pick something up, or whatever, this mild degree of printing is nothing to be concerned about.

Certainly, the shorter officers frame may protrude slightly less than a commander frame might, but under most circumstances, this difference is of no meaningful significance. So, this is just a reminder that for many of us, there is little or no need to stress over a 1/3" difference in grip frame length. Sometimes people put way too much importance on how small a carry pistol should be and needlessly go to great lengths/expense, and compromise capacity and handling by doing so.

Colt Commander with arched MSH, easily concealed with my usual attire of shorts and Duluth quality t-shirt. Carrying a compact frame 1911 wouldn't make a difference of any significance in this manner of carry and I appreciate having an extra round of capacity given the comparatively limited capacity of the platform.

#39 ·
I have sent my Springfield R/O compact back to the factory. At 30 ft, weaver stance, Winchester White box (45/230 grn) it puts 6-7 bullets into a 2 inch hole. Only problem is the hole is 3-4 inches left and about one inch low. I have tried a flat punch and a 5 pound hammer to drift the rear sight over NO WAY ! Also two local gun smiths could not push the sight to the RIGHT. It is my IDPA--CCP pistol. I hope it is returned prior to the next match. BUMMER ! I sure miss it.

#40 ·
To Jim PHL

I bought this Mark IV and a Colt XS CCO model back when they first came out... long ago. Colt made a bad move when they quit making them and Dan Wesson and others saw the potential market for the Officer's frame with the Commander slide and it has paid off for them. The Mark IV has the XS Big Dot night sights which I can see with or without my glasses... The trigger, hammer and fire control parts came from STI and it has a Ed Brown barrel bushing. The black finish is "Tuff Gun" and it looks as good as the day I got it refinished. I "think" the guy who refinished the CCO passed away sometime back. It has always been 100% reliable and it shoots as good as I can shoot it! Its a keeper...

#42 ·
Jim you have good eyes...The grips are Officers size flat bottom... I have an Ed Brown two piece magwell that has an allen bolt in the bottom so you can leave the mainspring housing in the pistol and take the magwell part off... and in the pics the magwell was not on the pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.