How Much Better is Super 1050 - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-27-2020, 09:44 AM

I have a very early Super 1050. When I posted on Benos that my plate advance was jerky, a Dillon rep posted that there was a new cam and I should call in to get it. I did, but the clerk I got was going to charge me $71. I said No, thanks, and called back later. I got my original correspondent who sent me the part for free.

I understand the new 1100 has a two year guarantee.

Anecdote Alert:
"Once the dust settled, the Master Chief asked in a very calm tone "Where did you get those rounds." The new guy said "I loaded them myself." He was pretty clueless and the Master Chief engaged him in dialogue, ultimately learning that he had purchased a reloading press and components, filled a 44 special case to the brim with Bullseye powder and then set the bullet. He had watched others reloading and thought that was all that was involved."

We had a guy like that. He was semi-literate and did not comprehend the numbers on the powder cans. He figured "Rifle Powder" was rifle powder and filled up the case. After all, if they had wanted you to use less powder, they would have made the case smaller, wouldn't they?
He was on his third .300 Win Mag when my friend who worked at the only local source of components realized what was happening and thereafter would only sell him H870.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:46 AM

Oops, double tapped.

Last edited by Jim Watson; 03-27-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I have a very early Super 1050. When I posted on Benos that my plate advance was jerky, a Dillon rep posted that there was a new cam and I should call in to get it. I did, but the clerk I got was going to charge me $71. I said No, thanks, and called back later. I got my original correspondent who sent me the part for free.

Anecdote Alert:
"Once the dust settled, the Master Chief asked in a very calm tone "Where did you get those rounds." The new guy said "I loaded them myself." He was pretty clueless and the Master Chief engaged him in dialogue, ultimately learning that he had purchased a reloading press and components, filled a 44 special case to the brim with Bullseye powder and then set the bullet. He had watched others reloading and thought that was all that was involved."

We had a guy like that. He was semi-literate and did not comprehend the numbers on the powder cans. He figured "Rifle Powder" was rifle powder and filled up the case. After all, if they had wanted you to use less powder, they would have made the case smaller, wouldn't they?
He was on his third .300 Win Mag when my friend who worked at the only local source of components realized what was happening and thereafter would only sell him H870.

We called him "Scoops" from his habit of scooping the case full of powder from a bowl.
Same deal on .44 Magnum, all they would sell him was 4227. A case full of 4227 is an overload but a Super Blackhawk will stand it.

Mr Scoops......
Old 03-27-2020, 01:39 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe 45 View Post
On 2/21/2020 I posted asking opinions on a good progressive reloader. After a lot of input from forum members I ordered a Xl 750. My barn has a 12 x 12 ft above ground tornado shelter in it. I am making it my reloading room. Since it is still too cold to paint the concrete walls I am at an impasse. The dealer in Oklahoma City called me the other day and asked if my room was ready, I told him no and he said he would like to sell the 750 as he had a customer and I was agreeable as he could reorder it next month.

The mayor of Ok. City has since declared a city emergency. I won’t go near Ok. City as my wife’s Pulmonologist is adamant that she must not contract even the ordinary flu. If I get anything and bring it home, it could get serious really fast.

I will order a reloader from Dillon next Tuesday, but with the current ammo shortage, believe it or not, my wife insists I get the best. I was afraid this was coming and stocked up on components so I am good there.

Now the $64,000 question for those forum members who have used a 650/750 and a Super 1050. Is the Super 1050, in your opinion, worth the difference in cost between a pimped out XL750 and a Super 1050.
The question you should be asking is whether or not you actually need that level of press. If you're like most of us, buying at that level will take forever to amortize. If your reason for a progressive press is to speed up production, that's fine, but you can get a good progressive that will provide all the speed you need for a hell of a lot less money. I'm not saying Dillon isn't high quality, it is. But a 1050 is production grade, and I seriously doubt you need that kind of power. A 650 is plenty, but then so is the Hornady LnL AP. Use the money you save on the press for extra components, dies, etc.

Of course, if you're independently wealthy, and money is not an issue, go for it. That doesn't necessarily mean you're getting the best, either. That's a rather subjective thing. When I bought my LnL AP, money was not an issue -- I could've bought a Dillon. But, the powder measure setup on the LnL is better than Dillons, and I likes their quick change die bushings, as well as how the press is laid out. In other words, I based my choice on functionality, not on name recognition or the opinions of fans.

Whatever you choose, I hope it is based on actual needs and best functionality, and not whether its red or blue.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-27-2020, 02:09 PM
More Cowbell...

Time is money. Thats one thing few people take into account.

Some people like reloading. It is relaxing. Some of them might even shoot just so they can get back to reloading.

I prefer to spend my free time at the range.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:52 PM

I have a bad right shoulder, the S1050 is very easy on it. Not pushing at the top of the stroke to seat a primer is much easier for me. I shoot mostly .45acp but have 9mm and .223 conversions.
OP, I predict you will not regret the choice.
NMC HM
Old 03-27-2020, 10:24 PM

Dillon 1050 and Super 1050

Since I shoot and reload a great deal of 9mm ammo, the one thing that separates the D1050 machines from most all other progressive presses is it swages the primer pockets whether it is needed or not. All it takes is a few military crimped 9mm cases to really slow the reloading process down if you don't have a D1050.

I believe a person should consider whether or not to purchase a D1050 based on how much volume they shoot......Once a person shoots roughly 1,000 rounds of ammo per month, it would be worth it to invest in a D1050.....less time reloading will allow more time at the shooting range....!

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 03-28-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
The question you should be asking is whether or not you actually need that level of press. If you're like most of us, buying at that level will take forever to amortize. If your reason for a progressive press is to speed up production, that's fine, but you can get a good progressive that will provide all the speed you need for a hell of a lot less money. I'm not saying Dillon isn't high quality, it is. But a 1050 is production grade, and I seriously doubt you need that kind of power. A 650 is plenty, but then so is the Hornady LnL AP. Use the money you save on the press for extra components, dies, etc.

Of course, if you're independently wealthy, and money is not an issue, go for it. That doesn't necessarily mean you're getting the best, either. That's a rather subjective thing. When I bought my LnL AP, money was not an issue -- I could've bought a Dillon. But, the powder measure setup on the LnL is better than Dillons, and I likes their quick change die bushings, as well as how the press is laid out. In other words, I based my choice on functionality, not on name recognition or the opinions of fans.

Whatever you choose, I hope it is based on actual needs and best functionality, and not whether its red or blue.
Rifter, I agree with your post except if I was independently wealthy, I would simply buy all the factory ammo I wanted and blast away!
Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
....Once a person shoots roughly 1,000 rounds of ammo per month, it would be worth it to invest in a D1050....
I expected the number to be higher.... but i enjoy bench time, which I realize isn't universal.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:07 AM

I am not saving a whole lot on 9mm IF you consider 147 gr subsonic vs 115 gr econoball. But like for like, it would cost about double my reload expense to buy what I shoot the most of at IDPA and USPSA.

Now .45 is a different matter. I don't know anybody selling the loads that I use, .45 Minor for practice and match, Barely Major for taking the Commander to town.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 AM

either you saw a better deal on econoball than I did or you are shooting a premium bullet...

The cheapest factory 9mm I saw in the last couple months was $9/box of 50 or $0.18/ea.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindshooter View Post
I have a bad right shoulder, the S1050 is very easy on it. Not pushing at the top of the stroke to seat a primer is much easier for me. I shoot mostly .45acp but have 9mm and .223 conversions.
OP, I predict you will not regret the choice.

Shoulder saving is highly relevant to my interests I'm delaying having my right shoulder replaced. We have some other family health issues that are more pressing at this time. Down the road I'll address the shoulder. Got love, live and thrive in the meantime. Still doing fun stuff...just being mindful to find methods that are easier on my body.

I've never played with a 1050 or 1100....just watched the videos. I couldn't tell what type of effort was required nor at which point in the stroke the force was greatest. Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
Since I shoot and reload a great deal of 9mm ammo, the one thing that separates the D1050 machines from most all other progressive presses is it swages the primer pockets whether it is needed or not. All it takes is a few military crimped 9mm cases to really slow the reloading process down if you don't have a D1050.

I believe a person should consider whether or not to purchase a D1050 based on how much volume they shoot......Once a person shoots roughly 1,000 rounds of ammo per month, it would be worth it to invest in a D1050.....less time reloading will allow more time at the shooting range....!

Some buddies and I recently had the discussion about reloading and the current times we are living in. We said we'd not be adding any new presses for the rest of 2020....just trying to hold our own with what we already have....and keep adding components as we could find them on sale.

If Trump is re-elected then we all agreed we'd be burning up the phone lines to the Dillon mothership. Everyone threw out what their ideal setup would be.

I'd keep rolling my hunting rifle loads on the existing 550C and keep the running .45acp, .44mag and 10mm on the existing 750 with an occasional swap over for runs of .38Super.

The call to the Dillon mothership would be to go nuts and unleash the Krakkens for two dedicated 1100's....one in 9mm and other other in .223/5.56.

The next money spent would be to do annual or longer range membership to the local indoor/outdoor spot that is less than a 10 minute drive from home.

Now....in the meantime prior to his hopeful re-election.....I'll need to purchase a winning lottery ticket...even a $10K scratch-off ticket would do nicely and leave room for new gun safe, bigger bench & storage.......and maybe one nice new pistol or rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Time is money. Thats one thing few people take into account.

Some people like reloading. It is relaxing. Some of them might even shoot just so they can get back to reloading.

I prefer to spend my free time at the range.

I think I've had more fun simply shopping around for my reloading gear and checking off the list than I've ever expected. It's been an oasis of fun & source of good reading and such in between stressful life & work situations. At the end of each day its nice to sit down in the easy chair with a glass of iced tea and the newest Blue Press......or on a cold morning off-work to have the fire going, dogs asleep nearby and have a cup of hot coffee and a warm fire rolling.....and the MackBook open to reloading & shooting sites.

Therapeutic even in the beginning planning stages. That's good & welcome stuff.

Last edited by DubfromGa; 03-28-2020 at 09:47 AM.