Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy View Post
Curious...

How gun friendly if your country?

What ďprocessĒ, if any, does one need to go through to buy handguns?

Thanks, and very nice collection you have there...

Switzerland has the reputation to be a very gun friendly country, especially compared to neighbouring countries in Europe.

However new gun laws are being introduced under the pressure of the European Union with whom Switzerland has bilateral commercial trade accords.

You need to apply for a gun permit at the bureau of arms for each gun. Cost is $ 50 per permit. For that you obviously need a virgin criminal record. You may put up to three guns on the same permit but those have to be bought the same day from the same seller. That leads to some regrouping amongst sellers at gun shows, and also to some compulsive buying, to fill the third line and amortise the permit.

We used to be allowed to carry, concealed only, but that now requires another permit which is nearly impossible to get unless your profession requires it. Private transaction used to be allowed without permit but thatís no longer the case.

As striker mentioned we are still allowed to acquire and possess full auto weapons for collection purposes, or professional needs. Those require an exceptional permit, which has a few more conditions required, such as already having a small collection, a bolted safe, bolts have to be stored separately and another permit is required to shoot them.

This limits interest in them and they are therefore fairly cheap here, say $ 2-2500 for an M16, $ 1500 for a Glock 18, HK MP5 start at $ 2000, a Thompson starts at $ 1800 etc..

Oh one last point, the Swiss army is a militia / conscripts army. The particularity was that service was spread over years, you started with basic training for four months (plus another three if you go to under officer school), then youíd have a repeating or training three weeks course every year until a certain age, depending on your grade. I think it used to be close to 40 yrs for private, and up for officers.

At the end of you service you have the possibility to keep your service rifle (for private) or pistol (for officers). Therefore attics and gunshots are littered with old straight pull rifles, Stgw 57 and 90 (full auto bits are removed) Swiss revolvers, Lugers, P210 and 220. Nowadays and with the end of the Cold War 30 years ago, the Swiss army has been drastically reduced and professionalised, went from 600í000 potential soldiers including reservists to abt 150í000 today. Itís still conscripts but shorter and a lot more kids get away without having to do it. Which in a way is a shame, as itís good life introduction for the 18 yr old knuckleheads (my son in law was sadly exempted, it would have done him a world of good).
Old Yesterday, 02:01 AM

9 mm semi automatic pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdellis49 View Post
Fantastic collection They are all very nice. Looks like you have the trigger solved on the Glock. I'm always amused at those that suggest the Glock isn't accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Mechanically they are 1/2 of a good 1911 and ease of shooting far less. Most guns can produce great groups if you take a year for each shot at 15-25 yards, but the difference is how hard it is to do or when you step back to 93 yards like I did today.

I agree that the Glock can shoot a lot better than people credit them for. And itís extremely efficient at close range rapid fire.

I donít shoot handguns past 50 m with the exception of a long barrelled S&W .44 Mag, rested at 100 meters

Iíve increased my 50 meters practice and I should add the Glock to the rotation

Last edited by CLASSIC12; Yesterday at 10:39 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Just that collection of pistols alone would be the envy of anyone even remotely interested in firearms. I'm not only jealous of all the Italian-made Berettas, but also the tangent-sighted Hi-Power which to me is THE classic Hi-Power look.

Since this is a 9mm service pistol-themed thread, and since there ain't anything else to do but stay home and sit in front of a computer all day here are my submissions:

1940 Mauser P.08

1998 Beretta M9 Special Edition

1990 Browning Hi-Power MKIII

1993 Smith & Wesson 915

1980 Beretta 92S

And Iím jealous of that M9 with the proper markings, I donít think they were imported here, I would have gotten one.

Yep, fighting the boredom, and the forum is great for that, thanks for posting yours.
Old Yesterday, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post

Thanks for posting. What is the 2nd one ? And whatís the story of the P220 with Browning markings ?

And Iíve never seen a box for a MAB, what does the lid look like ?
Old Yesterday, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
SIG P210-1 army - 1949

SIG P210-2 army - 1956

SIG P210-4 BGS - 1951

SIG P210-6 - 1985

Walther P38 - 1977

Obviously there are quite a few Iíd still like to get, a Mauser C96 red nine, a German Luger etc..

Thatís a great collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
We used to be allowed to carry, concealed only, but that now requires another permit which is nearly impossible to get unless your profession requires it.
Well that sucks. Fortunately Switzerland is a safe enough country that arming yourself in public isn't nearly as critical as it is here in the USA. At least when I traveled there 20 yeas ago it certainly seemed to be.

And not to speak for fnfalman, but I believe that 2nd pistol is a Bernardelli PO-18. And the SIG P220 was imported into the USA by Browning Arms for a time, and they called it the BDA.

Funny how many of us are now starting to look at these older metal-framed 9mms as classics. I certainly like looking at them more than I do any modern poly-framed gun.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Great collection!--------------- In 9mm's I'd like a Polish Vis. I dig 'em.
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Well that sucks. Fortunately Switzerland is a safe enough country that arming yourself in public isn't nearly as critical as it is here in the USA. At least when I traveled there 20 yeas ago it certainly seemed to be.

And not to speak for fnfalman, but I believe that 2nd pistol is a Bernardelli PO-18. And the SIG P220 was imported into the USA by Browning Arms for a time, and they called it the BDA.

Funny how many of us are now starting to look at these older metal-framed 9mms as classics. I certainly like looking at them more than I do any modern poly-framed gun.
Itís still one of the safest country
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

MY most cherished 9mm is my STEYR GB (Gas Brake). I'm fond of all the 9's I own - but because the GB is Exotic & Expensive - it gets special treatment & light use.
Mine is one of the late model GBs - identified by its small hammer spur. I exercise it less than my other 9s - because spare parts are nearly unobtainium. I think it is amazing, because it digests any type 9mm ammo, it is very comfortable in the hand, & enjoyable to shoot. It holds 19 rounds, & I have a second magazine (a total of 38 shots is enough anywhere).
The only peculiarity mine has - is its tendency to Double Tap during rapid fire - sort of a "bump fire" effect - possibly due to weakening trigger return spring. It does not do this during carefully aimed firing - so NOT a problem.
I think it has a very attractive & sleek design. Its 2 piece, center welded steel frame (with tough wrinkle paint) saves weight, It is extremely easy & quickly taken down for cleaning, which should be done more often than others - as the gas portals in the barrel allow more carbon into the slide & action - If allowed to get very dirty it is harder to clean - but it is my easiest 9 to take down & clean.
It is extremely accurate (even with military sights) Because the barrel is fixed to the frame (like a giant Walther).
I feel very fortunate to have it, & will buy any others I can afford - there were even factory cast aluminum grips available at one time.
Attached Thumbnails
beast #1.JPG   Beast #2.JPG   GB 4.JPG  
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

CLASSIC12, I don't have anything like your beautiful collection, but obviously our tastes in pistols are similar. Reference your pre B CZ75, I had two. They were boringly reliable pistols, but they were not among my most accurate pistols.

I read some time ago that the EU was applying pressure for more restrictive firearms regulation in Switzerland. The EU was apparently at least partially successful as it appears you now have to get licenses upon licences to enjoy your hobby. I appreciate hearing about the current state of firearms law in your country. Many politicians here in the US are pushing for the most restrictive gun control possible. Some states here in the US have passed very restrictive firearms legislation. Total and complete elimination of the "gun culture" seems to be the goal of about 50% of the American electorate.

I live in Wild West Arizona, but even here, politicians on the Left continually push for more restrictive gun control. I suspect that at some point, we will have to have licenses upon licenses, if we are allowed to have firearms at all...
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Funny how Switzerland has virtually no gun-related violence yet they saw fit to increase restrictions anyway. It just proves that no matter where in the world you live, there are people who are opposed to private ownership of guns just out of principle.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

Classic12, that is a beautiful collection.
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

Great collection, way to go
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting. What is the 2nd one ? And whatís the story of the P220 with Browning markings ?

And Iíve never seen a box for a MAB, what does the lid look like ?
The second one is the Bernardelli P-018 Compact. The P220 was a first generation with the pig nose muzzle instead of being squared off like the later P220s. Itís pre P-75. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, SIG Sauer did not have a presence in the USA so a bunch of P220 in 9mm, .45 and .38 Super were imported under the Browning banner with the model being known as the BDA (Browning Double Action). The bulk were .45, with a handful being 9mm and just a few in .38 Super.

There was also a company in Southern California called Hawes that also imported P220s and these had their name as the importer but marked as SIG Sauer P220.

As far as the lid for the MAB goes, here are some photos

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

There are mighty fine looking handguns in this thread.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

Please excuse my poor photography , but I do have a few 9mm pistols too.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010046.JPG   P1010045.JPG   P1010044.JPG   P1010043.JPG   P1010013_03.JPG   P1010015_02.JPG  

P1010014_03.JPG   P1010012_04.JPG   P1010010_01.JPG  
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

mkk41, Your photography looks fine to me. Now where's that LIKE button
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

mkk41 --------- Hey! you have a Vis. How do you like it?
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
mkk41 --------- Hey! you have a Vis. How do you like it?
Well , being of Polish descent myself , of course I love it!

I've had a few over the years. When I find a nicer one , I'll sell the lesser one.

I actually had an early Polish Eagle at one time , a pre-occupation pistol. It was beautifully made and finished as nice as any Colt.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
Well , being of Polish descent myself , of course I love it!

I've had a few over the years. When I find a nicer one , I'll sell the lesser one.

I actually had an early Polish Eagle at one time , a pre-occupation pistol. It was beautifully made and finished as nice as any Colt.
I see that Spain is well represented.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM

Some very nice 9mm pistols. Here are some of mine.

CZ 75 and CZ 75B
[IMG][/IMG]

HK P7M8 / P7M13/ and a P7 M10 that I sold last year. I'm keeping the M8 and M13 pistols.
[IMG][/IMG]

Walther P1 that I sold last year.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I see that Spain is well represented.
Astra and Star make some very nice pistols. The design of the 600 might be , odd , but the machining and workmanship is excellent.