1911Forum banner

Colt Defender vs Kimber Pro Carry II

27K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  ferretray 
#1 ·
I have been looking at buying either a Colt Defender or the Kimber Pro Carry II. I have never owned a Kimber, but have come to the conclusion that the Kimbers are fine firearms per Kimber owners I have talked with.

I have owned seven + Colts over the last 25-years and I have yet to own one I didn't like.

The prices on both were within $25, so price was no issue. I liked the night sights on the Kimber, but I like the hammer better on the Colt. I don't particularly like the grips on either, so that was a wash.

I ended up going with the Colt, even though I think I would have been happy with either. The reason I went with Colt is because of the many that I have owned and liked and that there always seems to be a "buyer" for a used Colt in fine condition if you want to buy something different. That may be the case with the Kimber also, but seems to be a lot of them out there.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the Defender yet. I found the guide rod set-up a bit odd when reassembling it during my first inspection and cleaning.

Another Colt-guess you can't have to many!

KEN

See less See more
#2 ·
The reason I went with Colt is because of the many that I have owned and liked...
That's the strongest reason to do anything... personal experience. Mix it up next time and get a Kimber, though. :) Uh oh... did I say that in the Colt forum? :eek:

#4 ·
Just me, but I wouldn't own any Series II Kimber even if it was a gift. Either a Colt or a pre-Series II would work for me.

#5 ·
I've been eaten alive for making that comment. Good to know I'm not the only one to give this advise.

#9 ·
You made the same choice that I made last month & I'm quite pleased with it. Why? Because it's a Colt :) There was a Commander right next to the Defender in the case for the same price- I liked it but it was blued & would've been a rust bucket with full-time IWB CCW). Those Kimbers sure look sweet though.

Yep, the Hogue's have to go ($14 set of grips on a $1,000 pistol? Good grief!). I made a quick set of ultra thin grips right away, then made a thicker set that makes the gun feel like a Glock :barf: & now I'm making a really nice set of ultra thins for it. The Defender is pretty close to the same size & weight (loaded) as the P239 I carried for 8 years, but it carries a LOT more comfortably (Why? Because it's a COLT :) ).

I sleep easy not wondering if I *should* have bought a Colt too :D

#11 ·
The finger groove grips are not appealing to me. I think I will buy some nice coco bola grips with the colt logo. I know a guy who carries these at the local gun shows, which allows me to pick the color.

I am really excited about the defender and look forward to my first outing with it this weekend.

Thanks for all the great comments! Any tips on defenders appreciated.

KEN

#12 ·
Any tips on defenders appreciated.
Ken, I(Colt's) changed the grip safety to a Wilson Combat Drop-in...for me it makes more comfortable shooting. Also, I use a small awl when I put it back together to make sure I get the link in right. I'm not mechanically gifted:( and had tough times getting it back together when I first stripped it. Now, I just pull back the slide and spear that link:rock:.

Shoot many different types of ammo and find out what it and you like.

Here's mine. Preston

#13 · (Edited)
I sold my Pro Cary II in unfired condition. I wanted a Colt when I purchased it and just didn't feel comfortable with the reputation of Kimber. I made up for it and purchased a Defender and a New Agent. No regrets whatsoever. Still trying to justify the purchase of the CCO after that. I added some Esmeralda grips to my Defender. I was so impressed with her craftsmanship I bought a pair for my New Agent as well.

#16 ·
Preston,
I like how your grip safety looks, but will fire mine for at least several hundred rounds before considering any changes.
Better take a Bandaide to put over your thumb knuckle. The factory grip safety seems ok just holding the pistol, & even if you smack the muzzle sharply upward a few times it seems comfortable. After I fired one full magazine, it was very close to drawing blood. The offending edge is the little shiny/lighted spot on the upper portion of the grip safety in the pic in pjsjr's post above (though his aftermarket part doesn't look like an offender).

#18 ·
Howdy,

Well I took out my Defender to check it out after getting back from the factory. I'd sent it in to repair the 'Woodpeckering' or chipping in the feed ramp caused by metal magazine followers.

Now, I couldn't get a single round to feed without pushing the slide into battery with my thumb? It wouldn't chamber a round. It's far worse than when I sent it back. It had never done that before sending it back. I just never could get it to run right.

Not having a lot of time I traded it in on a Kimber CDPII Ultra. I just couldn't get myself to go around with repairs again. The mags were new Tripp Cobras.
I certainly hope the Ultra does what its supposed too.
Does anyone know if the 'cartridge' recoil spring assembly in the Ultra will interchange with a Kimber?
THANKS

#19 · (Edited)
Colt or Kimber Pro Carry II

I just fired my Kimber Pro Carry II yesterday. Put a hundred rounds of Magtech through it for breaking it in, and to see how that "match Grade Barrel" did. I have to say I was impressed! The weapon was extremely accurate, at least at 25 yards, and with me firing my new Kimber and the HK45 my buddy also just bought, they both shot about the same tight group. That impressed me, and I am very happy. There were no malfuntions while firing, however when using a friends aftermarket magazines, dropping the slide when loading gave me a problem about three times. Non with the Kimber mag or any while shooting from any of the magazines there. I was nervouse as well when I had to make the choice, ONLY after reading forums. That made me kinda angry with myself, as I had fired friends Kimbers for years with no problems, but glad (so far) with my decision. I have, and always will, liked Colt 1911's as one should. I am sold however with my Kimber Pro Carry II, until she fails me, because of the accuracy and comfort. Good luck, and know I feel you will make the right choice no matter which way you go. Just don't put more weight into forums and more into actually trying both out.:cool:

#20 ·
I bought both a Kimber UCII stainless and a Colt Defender. Made some changes to both. Like both. Like the Colt MUCH better. Kimber had problems with slide stop out of the box. The narrow grip safety does sting at times. Colt grip safety was absolute trash and hurt. Wilson drop in is excellent. Both are accurate and reliable. Colt feels much better and after nearly 4k rounds through each gun, the Colt frame appears to be holding up better. I like the Colt recoil spring set up better as you can easily change out both springs yourself. Kimber setup requires you sent it to them to replace the small spring and that costs money every 3k rounds or so. Colt firing pin block safety is much more robust and not as prone to inadvertent damage or having timing issues. The Kimber system, in my opinion, sucks. an ill fitted grip safety can get it out of time. An ill fitted MSH also can get it out of time.

#21 ·
I could be mistaken but I believe Colt was the first handgun manufactuer to design and produce a 3" 1911 pistol when they brought out the Defender.

And if memory serves, it was quite a few years ahead of the Colt sub-compact clones like Kimber, Para, etc. so Colt has a experience with this pistol.

So, IMHO, I'd choose the Colt over the Kimber.

I have a New Agent that has been GOLD and I love it.

Just my two cents worth...

#23 ·
Have both guns mentioned...

I have both the Colt Defender and the Kimber Pro Carry II. I like them both, and both have worked well for me. The Defender has the advantage in concealability, of course. But the 4 inch barrel Kimber with full length grip is probably more pleasant to shoot. I only shoot the Colt enough for familiarity, and do most of my .45 shooting with full size 1911s and Sigs.

If you want a very concealable .45 that will probably work reliably, the Defender is a good choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.