Looking At A Taurus PT1911? Any Thoughts? Insights? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-31-2016, 01:22 PM

Looking At A Taurus PT1911? Any Thoughts? Insights?

A buddy has a PT1911 LNIB for sale at a decent price. Just wondering about their 1911's. I know they are NOT kimber or Colt quality. But they're dang sure NOT Kimber or Colt money either!

Does anyone here own one? Any issues?

Any Help or Imformation would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:56 PM
Banned

There have been problems (off and on) with the QC of Taurus. As with any other manufacturer, some are good, some are bad. From what I have been led to understand, their quality has been improving lately. I can't tell you from personal experience, but i have heard both "horror stories" and fairly good reports about their efforts to produce a 1911-pattern pistol. I know this may not be what you wanted to hear, but it is the information that I have.

i wish you and your friend the best, and may he find his heart's desire in his search.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:00 PM

I used to own one. It was ok. Liked some of the features like checkered front strap. However, my RIA was nicer for less $. I learned the hard way to save a little more for a nicer pistol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2016, 04:55 PM

I bought one when they first came out. As a matter of fact I had the first one in my group of shooting friends and relatives to have one. It was $499 as I recall back then. Anyway mine was O.K. Many of my friend and relatives shot mine and decided to buy one. Sadly most of them had problems with theirs like ambi safeties falling off etc. and to make matters worse I guess Taurus was not good to deal with about getting things fixed.

Old news now and I don't know what they are like today. Still have mine and every now and then I do still shoot it but am careful who I go shoot it with. We need a picture. I wonder if they still have the lock on the top of the hammer?

You might want to go and read some in the Taurus area of the forum to see what problems, if any, people have been having in recent years.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:25 PM

I have Colts, a Kimber and a couple other brands along with a Taurus I picked up at a great price. The fit and finish of the Taurus isn't as great as the higher priced models, but it has been dependable and shoots straight.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:26 AM

I have had a few though the shop. Not real good quality.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:26 PM

If you check out the Taurus board you'll see horror stories about their customer service,something to bear in mind.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM

Taurus 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToyz View Post
A buddy has a [Taurus] PT1911 LNIB for sale ... Just wondering about their 1911's.

Does anyone here own one? Any issues?
Yes, I have one. It is a fairly early one. For a few months I used it as a CCW. It's pretty low round count. The only issue so far: the attractive, black finish just peeled off, leaving black stains on my clothing and skin. My sweat is pretty caustic; couldn't leave the metal unprotected. So I had it gun-coated. While it was in hospital, its place in the holster was taken. But it has a nice trigger; so it became the frame for a .22LR conversion used for teaching.

Last edited by tgt_usa; 02-01-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:24 PM

Nope
Old 02-04-2016, 03:07 PM

I owned the 9mm version for about a year. I traded it for a CZ 75B when an opportunity arose. I just consider the CZ75B to be a superior firearm.
I could not fault the Taurus 9mm 1911. It functioned without issue with a variety of ammo types. It was not near the rattle trap of my RIA .45 acp 1911 government model (however it functions great as well). The Taurus shot where I pointed it and went bang when I pulled the trigger. Some of my acquaintances with vastly more expensive 1911s could not say that.
As to service, never needed it for my 1911. I did on a 709 I owned. Sent it off 3 times, came back 3 times and I traded it in after the third time with the repair tape still on the grip. That particular firearm was the first generation of that series. I had lots of FTEs with it. I hear that model is much better.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 AM

No good, there are many better options
Old 02-05-2016, 12:58 PM

Haters... how much? SS or not? They are fine for the $$$. 1000+ rounds through mine no issues... I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find "horror stories" on CS from every manufacturer. If you don't believe me, jump on over to the SIG, Kimber, or even Colt specific forums. You're always gonna get the guys who say they held em' and didn't like em' but never say why... Hell if I worked in a gun shop and fondled Wilsons all day I wouldn't like em' either. you think Ferrari salesmen like it when a Porsche come in? Sure they think those are meh too...
Old 02-10-2016, 11:20 PM

I have a stainless PT1911 and I have had zero problems. It is what it is. It shoots straight and eats everything I feed it. It was my starter 1911 last year.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:22 AM

They are great for the price. Mine runs flawlessly, and has the features I wanted. Slide to frame fit is tight, trigger is really nice. Another option in the same price range is Metro arms or Mac American classic.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:12 PM

I will have to admit, as someone who owns a Colt special combat government 1911, I purchased a stainless Taurus 1911 9 mm, for my girlfriend and have been pleasantly impressed by it. Its got a tight fit, nice trigger and after around 700 rounds shoots very well. I have also heard of the horror stories from this gun. It seems like most of them were the 2011-2012 model. The newer style seem to be better.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:36 PM

You will have a 50/50 chance of a Taurus working. 100.00 or so more will buy a Colt or Springfield.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:35 AM

I think the odds are far better than 50/50. All makes and models can have issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Taurus1911_0270.jpg  

Last edited by K9s; 02-13-2016 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:21 AM

Pt1911

I have had 4 of the Taurus PT1911's and still own 2 of them. All have performed like they should and I have had zero problems out of them.

All of mine have had production years of 2010 or older. It is my understanding that many of the newer units were having issues but I have not experienced any thru mine.

You can find out the production year of the pistol by going to the Taurus website and entering the serial number. Scroll to the bottom of the page and find the header for Customer Care. Then click on the "Find My Model" link.

BK
Old 02-14-2016, 07:05 PM

i have one in 9mm

great gun for the $
Old 02-25-2016, 03:41 PM

I'd buy another Taurus over a Kimber. Not worth the extra coin.

My Taurus has never let me down.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:43 PM

I've been messing with the 1911s since 1958, Currently own a number of them from Colt, Para, Springfield and Taurus. Like them all and shoot them all. At one time I had 3 Taurus's, a first or second year of manufacture 45 with the Straight 8 sights, a .38 Super and a 9mm. Sold the .45 to a young fellow who wanted one but didn't have a lot of cash, and he's very pleased with it. All of them were accurate and reliable, the 9Mm and .38 Super will stay in my stable, they are accurate and very reliable. Did have one Kimber, but had functioning problems with it so traded it for a Springfield and now happy.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:32 PM

I've had one for a while now, and while I haven't had any problems with it (eats what I feed it, shoots accurately and consistently etc) it's just "okay". The overall "feel" of the weapon is like a bunch of parts have just been put together, but not FIT together. The OP brought up a good point though, it didn't cost anywhere near what some of my others did either. Bottom line for me is that for the $$$ you're paying, you're getting a decent 1911 that does what you need it to do. If you have the money, or want the fit/feel of a premier 1911, then pass it by, but if $$$ are tight, or you are just wanting a mediocre 1911 to add to the stable, then I don't feel any need to steer anyone clear of it. For what you pay for it, if you decide to upgrade later, you will get most of your $$$ back anyway.
Good luck!
Sarge
Old 02-28-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
I've had one for a while now, and while I haven't had any problems with it (eats what I feed it, shoots accurately and consistently etc) it's just "okay". The overall "feel" of the weapon is like a bunch of parts have just been put together, but not FIT together. The OP brought up a good point though, it didn't cost anywhere near what some of my others did either. Bottom line for me is that for the $$$ you're paying, you're getting a decent 1911 that does what you need it to do. If you have the money, or want the fit/feel of a premier 1911, then pass it by, but if $$$ are tight, or you are just wanting a mediocre 1911 to add to the stable, then I don't feel any need to steer anyone clear of it. For what you pay for it, if you decide to upgrade later, you will get most of your $$$ back anyway.
Good luck!
Sarge
Ryan: Did you find yours to be "in spec?"

A few years ago, I let someone talk me into selling him a set of your grips.

It took me over an hour of work with a dremel, Swiss files, and sandpaper (plus some refinishing) to get them to fit on the gripframe, and allow the ambi safety to function.

Obviously; there was nothing wrong with the grips...

Ever since then; I've refused to wotk on anything made by taurus.

Rick
http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
IDPA Certified Safety Officer
Old 02-29-2016, 12:12 AM
Banned

While I can't speak of the PT1911, I have 2 of the least expensive pistols that TAURUS makes, the PT111.
My GF and daughter both have 1 and they have been excellent. Never a problem, they eat everything and are accurate.

We got them for $199 each.

I'll buy a TAURUS.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:09 PM

I have one and actually it has been a pretty good pistol. I have about 500-600 rounds through it with 0 problems. It is not quit as accurate as some of my higher end 1911s but it is plenty "combat accurate" . I like the feel of the grips, they are very thin and fit my hand very well. My son and I went to a training class this weekend and we actually carried it as a backup.