I never thought I'd type this. 2011>1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-26-2019, 02:21 PM

I never thought I'd type this. 2011>1911

I will be 47 years old in July. I have shot and carried a 1911 for all of my adult life. My wife purchased a Wilson Tactical Supergrade for me for my birthday and at that moment I thought I was holding the ultimate self defense pistol. I was wrong.
My good friend shoots 3-gun and we practice together quite often. A few months ago he started running a STI DVC 3 Gun. It was all he could talk about. **** Nally I gave in and asked to shoot it. I was immediately surprised at how well it shot. It was incredibly accurate and soft shooting. Through the next few days I put around 700 rounds through it personally. I experienced zero malfunctions and consistent accuracy that was above normal.
He allowed me to take the gun home to examine it further. I disassembled it and my Wilson side by side. I was shocked at the results. Slide to frame fit was the same between the two, absolutely immeasurable. Barrel fitting and barrel bushing lock up was also equal. Both felt as they were sliding on glass with the edge going to the STI. The triggers on both were great. The STI exhibited less take up and broke like a glass rod at 2.34 lbs.
The real surprise was accuracy. From the bench, I cannot find ammo that will produce more than a 5 shot, 1" group at 25 yards with the STI. The same cannot be said of the Wilson.
I carry the Wilson in a Kramer #3. I carry the STI in a Savoy IWB. Both conceal well. At the end of the day, I'm left wanting a dedicated carry gun in the 1911/2011 platform. As it stands, I'll be ordering a Staccato P HOST.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2hnt View Post
I'll be ordering a Staccato P HOST.
Most likely my next gun too.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Well duh the 2011 is gonna win lol! Whole deal is a 1911 is for carry/smaller gun and 2011 is for anything else. Kinda surprising the STI he has is that good, I've only handled two in person that were comparable to Wilson's but to be fair the newer SGs are really not that different from the normal ones.

STI makes a good gun for sure but in my opinion they lack a little refinement overall. They perform great though, I'm having a 2011 made for me to take over my CZs roles as competition guns.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 03:42 PM

I just ran my STI-CC 45 vs my WC-CC 45 in the FAST drill this morning.

I ran the STI-CC stone cold as soon as I set up the target's...The WC I ran about an hour later after I put the STI away. Guess which one was fastest? Both were perfectly accurate, all hits per the drill spec, 8" circle on body and 3X5 index card on head.

STI-CC: 6.9 (stone cold first drill)
WC-CC: 9.1. well warmed up.

The STI has a rubber grip and the comp chamber is bigger, which I believe makes it an intrinsically faster gun (BTW, it is much lighter than the WC-1911. It might even have an aluminum frame - that is what "little" frame it has). Not sure why there is a 2 sec difference though, given the 1911 is heavier I would have thought these 2 gun's would be fairly close in a drill like this. Likely I just had a bad run with the WC - it was 96 degrees in the pistol pit's and I was more than "warmed-up" by then :-). Next time out I'll shoot the WC-CC cold and see if I can close the gap, at least most of it.

I do love both gun's though, would be proud to carry either, and I want to give the WC a fair shake to redeem itself.

Nothing like a comped-45 as the perfect sweet-spot btwn speed and ballistic-punch.

2011's are awesome only issue is you have to keep the mag's tweaked. Ditto for my Infinity which is also an awesome shooter - and sport's 150$ mag's - they should be self-tweaking for that price- LOL!.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 06-26-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
I just ran my STI-CC 45 vs my WC-CC 45 in the FAST drill this morning.

I ran the STI-CC stone cold as soon as I set up the target's...The WC I ran about an hour later after I put the STI away. Guess which one was fastest? Both were perfectly accurate, all hits per the spec, 8" circle on body and 3X5 index card on head.

STI-CC: 6.9 (stone cold first drill)
WC-CC: 9.1. well warmed up.

The STI has a rubber grip and the comp chamber is bigger, which I believe makes it an intrinsically faster gun. Not sure why there is a 2 sec difference, likely I just had a bad run with the WC - it was 96 degrees in the pistol pit's and I was more than "warmed-up" by then :-). Next time out I'll shoot the WC-CC cold and see if I can close the gap at least some.

2011's are awesome only issue is you have to keep the mag's tweaked. Ditto for my Infinity which is also an awesome shooter.
The square grip helps immensely as does the larger magwell.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
The square grip helps immensely as does the larger magwell.
Yep, the competition magwell is really, really, fast...

The square grip facilitates hitting the mag release faster. Was there any other reason you feel the square-grip helps the time's?
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Whole deal is a 1911 is for carry/smaller gun and 2011 is for anything else.
I carry a 2011 most of the year in a AIWB holster.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:13 AM

Thats pretty sad when a 3k semi-custom pistol kicks the snot out of a 5K semi-custom pistol. Were both pistols 9mm?
Old 06-28-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace View Post
Thats pretty sad when a 3k semi-custom pistol kicks the snot out of a 5K semi-custom pistol. Were both pistols 9mm?
His Supergrade is 45 acp and the DVC 3-Gun is 9mm. This probably isn't a fair comparison as they have different purposes as the STI is meant for competition.

Different calibers, different grip thickness, different recoil impulse, different barrel length, different magazine capacity etc.

However, if you want to use the STI for self-defense, I say heck yeah

There isn't a negative aspect for either pistol. Both are winners.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:39 PM

My local shop showed me the Staccato-C, P, and DVC-C. The Staccato-C duplicated several other guns I already had in .45. So I went back to the shop with plans on buying the DVC-C. I really didn't see where the DVC-C was worth a grand more the the Staccato-P. So the owner gave me the Staccato-P for $1800 OTD. I stopped on the way home and put 120 rounds through it. It shot like a dream. Accurate, 100% reliable, & very soft shooting. I love this gun.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2hnt View Post
I will be 47 years old in July. I have shot and carried a 1911 for all of my adult life. My wife purchased a Wilson Tactical Supergrade for me for my birthday and at that moment I thought I was holding the ultimate self defense pistol. I was wrong.
My good friend shoots 3-gun and we practice together quite often. A few months ago he started running a STI DVC 3 Gun. It was all he could talk about. **** Nally I gave in and asked to shoot it. I was immediately surprised at how well it shot. It was incredibly accurate and soft shooting. Through the next few days I put around 700 rounds through it personally. I experienced zero malfunctions and consistent accuracy that was above normal.
He allowed me to take the gun home to examine it further. I disassembled it and my Wilson side by side. I was shocked at the results. Slide to frame fit was the same between the two, absolutely immeasurable. Barrel fitting and barrel bushing lock up was also equal. Both felt as they were sliding on glass with the edge going to the STI. The triggers on both were great. The STI exhibited less take up and broke like a glass rod at 2.34 lbs.
The real surprise was accuracy. From the bench, I cannot find ammo that will produce more than a 5 shot, 1" group at 25 yards with the STI. The same cannot be said of the Wilson.
I carry the Wilson in a Kramer #3. I carry the STI in a Savoy IWB. Both conceal well. At the end of the day, I'm left wanting a dedicated carry gun in the 1911/2011 platform. As it stands, I'll be ordering a Staccato P HOST.
You are about to get a fantastic gun, I just got a Staccato P Host two weeks ago. It immediately became my favorite. While not a direct comparison at all I shoot it better than eithe of my other favirites, a Nighthawk Predator II .45 or Les Baer Boss Government .45. Lighter, faster, feels made for my hand. Unfortunately I now long for one of the DVC models.

One thing, STIs come sealed in a package and coated with a protectant that makes it advisable to clean and oil up before first use.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
My local shop showed me the Staccato-C, P, and DVC-C. The Staccato-C duplicated several other guns I already had in .45. So I went back to the shop with plans on buying the DVC-C. I really didn't see where the DVC-C was worth a grand more the the Staccato-P. So the owner gave me the Staccato-P for $1800 OTD. I stopped on the way home and put 120 rounds through it. It shot like a dream. Accurate, 100% reliable, & very soft shooting. I love this gun.

I picking one up from STI on Monday to take with me to the border next weekend. I'm going to carry it all week down there and then put 500 rounds through it for reliability testing.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:11 PM

My girlfriend bought me a Staccato P for my upcoming birthday and got herself the Staccato C. Waiting on both to come in. I ordered four cases of various ammo which should be here Tuesday. Waiting for the guns to ship to my FFL. Ordered extra mags as well. We’re ready.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpaxton View Post
His Supergrade is 45 acp and the DVC 3-Gun is 9mm. This probably isn't a fair comparison as they have different purposes as the STI is meant for competition.

Different calibers, different grip thickness, different recoil impulse, different barrel length, different magazine capacity etc.

However, if you want to use the STI for self-defense, I say heck yeah

There isn't a negative aspect for either pistol. Both are winners.
He’s comparing build quality not recoil.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I picking one up from STI on Monday to take with me to the border next weekend. I'm going to carry it all week down there and then put 500 rounds through it for reliability testing.
Trace, I know you’re a competitive shooter, are you loading up defensive ammo up to Major speeds? If I was spending a bunch of time near the border I’d prefer to be shooting 9x23 PF. Lots of sticky situations you can get yourself into down there.

Gods speed and be safe.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
Trace, I know you’re a competitive shooter, are you loading up defensive ammo up to Major speeds? If I was spending a bunch of time near the border I’d prefer to be shooting 9x23 PF. Lots of sticky situations you can get yourself into down there.

Gods speed and be safe.
IF I have to use a firearm down there, I hope to be able to get to my M4. Our only approved 9mm round right now is Hornady 135 grain +p Critical Duty. We have not been impressed with real world performance either. Plenty accurate, but we've been able to interview way too many folks that have been shot with it.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
IF I have to use a firearm down there, I hope to be able to get to my M4. Our only approved 9mm round right now is Hornady 135 grain +p Critical Duty. We have not been impressed with real world performance either. Plenty accurate, but we've been able to interview way too many folks that have been shot with it.
Interesting. As Lucky Gunners Ballistics test shows it as a "winner". Is 9mm not living-up to the end all be all the FBI just claimed it to be? Nothing against 9mm, I just don't buy into the "all calibers are now equal" theory. I guess more real world shootings & time will tell.

https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-135-...rounds#geltest
Old 06-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
Interesting. As Lucky Gunners Ballistics test shows it as a "winner". Is 9mm not living-up to the end all be all the FBI just claimed it to be? Nothing against 9mm, I just don't buy into the "all calibers are now equal" theory. I guess more real world shootings & time will tell.

https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-135-...rounds#geltest
Critical Duty 135gr isn't living up to expectations.