Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Gsg 1911/22

Any body here have or have had one ?

Thoughts, opinions........
Old 06-12-2019, 09:36 AM

I have one. It’s a fun little range gun, and I occasionally carry it for snakes and pest when out in my garden. I’d look for on used, they can be found fairly cheap around here.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 PM

I own a GSG 922 which is the Commander length slide/barrel and full size grip frame. I have owned mine for a few years now. It is a fun gun, but I just can't shoot it well. I own and shoot a number of 1911s, and have no problems hitting with them, but just don't do well with my 922. I have no answer for this.
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 09:52 AM

I've had one for a year or so and I like it a lot. It looks, feels and aims just like my RIA 1911 standard in 9mm. It disassembles like a 1911 other than one little screw and a pin to hold the barrel. I have around a thousand rounds through it and it has performed well. The feel, look and weight is very similar to my RIA.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:08 PM

I've had mine for about 2-1/2 years. It's a fun pistol and accurate too. FWIW, I installed a kit from CW Accessories that included a steel guide rod and eliminated the barrel fixing screw. Now it can be field stripped without tools.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:40 PM

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiesdad View Post
Any body here have or have had one ?

Thoughts, opinions........
Okay ... found them ... these apply *only* to the Sig-branded pistol made by GSG ... the GSG-branded pistol may not have this problem.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...ig#post9817306

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...ig#post9240849

To elaborate: when *I* handled and shot the Sig-branded, GSG pistol, I liked it well enough for student use ... and since my most frequently shot .22LR pistol at the time has a magazine safety ... I didn’t notice it. } -; (still ashamed). If the pistol is for plinking or other target practice, it might be fine ... IDK ... but for *M1911* familiarization, that mag safety is a fatal flaw in the manual of arms. The correct way to make an M1911 safe, as at least three practical pistol sports safety protocols indicate, is to remove the magazine, inspect the chamber, aim at a target and press the trigger.

Since my teaching asso’c pointed out the flaw, I figured out the magazine safety could be easily disabled: but I won’t use, for teaching, a pistol with anything *called* a “safety” that I’ve disabled. j -: The design appears dry-fire safe (remarkable in .22LRs): and I should check whether my “CoolFire” device will work on it!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 AM

^ The gsg has the mag safety as well. They are exactly the same gun.

Had a GSG. Total junk. Awful accuracy compared to my ruger Mk3. Constant malfunctions. Bought the hop up parts everyone talks about. Still garbage. Was able to sell the hop up parts on ebay and sold the gun for half what I paid.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:27 PM

I have one of the older ones a buddy sold me for cheap. I upgraded several of the components and accuracy improved some and reliability is not 100%, but okay for plinking. My buddy bought a new one last spring and it runs reliably. Accuracy is so-so and he loves it.

When it comes to quality, accuracy and reliability I think you get pretty much what you pay for. While it is a fun gun to shoot for the price, especially if this is going to be your only .22 auto, you would be better off spending a little more and getting a Ruger, Browning or S&W.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92gli View Post

Had a GSG. Total junk. Awful accuracy compared to my ruger Mk3. Constant malfunctions. Bought the hop up parts everyone talks about. Still garbage. Was able to sell the hop up parts on ebay and sold the gun for half what I paid.
I have both the GSG 1911-22 and the Ruger MK III 22/45. It took me about 2 minutes to remove the mag safety from the GSG and about 15 minutes and $10 to remove it from my MK III.

The GSG has fewer malfunctions (very few-none unless it is dirty) than the MK III and the accuracy is very similar with a slight edge to the GSG. I like the GSG because it is almost identical to my "real" 1911.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:09 AM

I had one for about 2 years. It was 100% reliable and as accurate as a Ruger mark3, or my S&W Victory 22. I used it with and without a supressor with no change in POI.. My only concern is the slide material is subject to excessive wear at the slide lock point. I did fire over 2000 rounds thru mine.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92gli View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
I have one of the older ones a buddy sold me for cheap. I upgraded several of the components and accuracy improved some and reliability is not 100%, but okay for plinking. My buddy bought a new one last spring and it runs reliably. Accuracy is so-so and he loves it.

When it comes to quality, accuracy and reliability I think you get pretty much what you pay for. While it is a fun gun to shoot for the price, especially if this is going to be your only .22 auto, you would be better off spending a little more and getting a Ruger, Browning or S&W.
I had one as well. Very soon realized the material the gun is made of makes this a piece of junk I was extremely happy to get rid of.

Unfortunately the form is very attractive and not many options for a 1911 size 22 in this price range but once again the material it is made of is extremely soft and not very durable. I forget what it is called but extremely cheap.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:16 PM

Pot metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
I had one as well. Very soon realized the material the gun is made of makes this a piece of junk I was extremely happy to get rid of.

Unfortunately the form is very attractive and not many options for a 1911 size 22 in this price range but once again the material it is made of is extremely soft and not very durable. I forget what it is called but extremely cheap.
My SigSauer-branded 1911-22, made by GSG, has a pot metal frame. Guessing that “pot metal” is the term which you were trying to recall. Perhaps “zinc” as pot metal is generally a zinc alloy. The pot metal frame didn’t bother me: the energy of a .22LR was never going to wear out even such a frame.

For $300, I didn’t expect a regular M1911 with a .22LR barrel: just a pistol that shoots accurately and has the shape and manual-of-arms of an M1911. It was the MOA where it falls down for me. Though plenty accurate for the “FIRST Steps” course of fire (it shot dime-sized groups at the required distance): the magazine safety wrecked it. And I had better .22 options already. The thing has been in the bottom layer of my teaching case as a B.U.G. for years: a complete waste ... unless it’ll run my CoolFire.

Last edited by tgt_usa; 07-12-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgt_usa View Post
My SigSauer-branded 1911-22, made by GSG, has a pot metal frame. Guessing that “pot metal” is the term which you were trying to recall. Perhaps “zinc” as pot metal is generally a zinc alloy. The pot metal frame didn’t bother me: the energy of a .22LR was never going to wear out even such a frame.

For $300, I didn’t expect a regular M1911 with a .22LR barrel: just a pistol that shoots accurately and has the shape and manual-of-arms of an M1911. It was the MOA where it falls down for me. Though plenty accurate for the “FIRST Steps” course of fire (it shot dime-sized groups at the required distance): the magazine safety wrecked it. And I had better .22 options already. The thing has been in the bottom layer of my teaching case as a B.U.G. for years: a complete waste ... unless it’ll run my CoolFire.
Zinc Alloy, yeah I think that's what it was. Anyway there was a screw I think that by default had to be used when dissembling this gun, Anyway because they use Zinc Alloy it was a known issue that this screw eventually would no longer hold because of the Zinc Allow will eventually fail. Sure there were kits you could buy to avoid this but here again a cheap gun which requires more investment because it simply was made from extremely cheap materials in the beginning.

I admit it I bought cheap which I typically do not. Problem was the 1911 22 options are a bit limited unless your willing to get a conversion so I gave it a go.

I learned my lesson once again, never cheap out because I'm never ever happy when I do. YMMV

Last edited by Dddrees; 07-13-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:19 AM
Administrator

I checked our records and we've sold about 100 of these in the past 3-4 years . Very few complaints . Like any semi auto 22 , the choice of ammo will be important to reliability .
Imo , for under $300 these are sold as plinkers , not match quality .

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 07-13-2019, 07:13 AM

I had two of them. First was a GSG branded model. Reliability was so-so compared to my other .22 pistols (3 Rugers) and accuracy was not even close to the Rugers but ok as a plinker. I sold it when they started having problems with cracks in the Zamak slides. My second was a SIG branded model that came free in a package deal when I bought a SIG Scorpion 1911. I decided to have some fun with that one and changed the MSH, Trigger, Grip safety, hammer and sights to replicate a 1911A1. It came out pretty neat, but the accuracy, and reliability were still just ok. I sold it for another project and have no desire for another.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 PM

I have one that I got as a prize in a charity event. It is an okay, gun. Not made with quality in mind. It does not like standard velocity ammo which is about all I shoot in 22lr. It was somewhat unreliable with high velocity, but I found it loved the mini-mag 22lr ammo.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:45 AM

Nothing wrong with my GSG. It’s great when you get something cheap and it works. I got an adapter and put my suppressor on it too.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:28 AM

I had one their conversion kits a couple of years ago but it didn't come anywhere close to the accuracy I needed. Now have an Advantage Arm conversion kit and love it.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:47 PM

I had one of the first that came out, zero issues. Sold it for something else...
Just bought a new one two weeks ago for $210 shipped- screaming deal.
I’ve only put about 100 rounds through it but again, with no issues.