Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 AM

Glock Sales

Saw this article on Bloomberg.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...ump-presidency

While all gun manufacturers have seen sales declines with a republican in the White House, 35% seems huge. Can’t help but think that striker fired competitors are a decent part of that. Not hating on glocks. They make a great weapon, but up against the new CZ P10c, VP9, p320, PPQ and new MP 2.0 they are starting to show their age. Hope the 19x and new glock .45 can help them get some market share back.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Glock has a heritage, and a very prolific name. Competitors may sell a decent number, but Glock captured the market first (even though HK was building plastic guns before they were.). Unless Glocks get super expensive, or the completion gets a whole lot cheaper, dont expect Glock to be hurting for sales.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivryn View Post
Hope the 19x and new glock .45 can help them get some market share back.
Doubt it, as neither is anything revolutionary. They just raided the parts bin as usual. In addition, they did debut 2 totally new pistols (42/43) that likely skewed their numbers prior to the elections. You would have to see many years records to be able to ascertain for sure, with them being a private company that wont happen.

I do own a number of Glocks (5), but it is a 99.9% probability that I will never buy another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 11:48 AM

I think the decline in sales is due to people not panic buying any more.

Remember how Obama and his democrap cronies caused gun sales to skyrocket during the last decade?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:50 AM

I attempted a quick search of U.S. handgun market share by manufacturer, but I couldn't find easy-to-synthesize numbers. S&W/Remington/Ruger/Sig/Mossberg are the top 5 (2017 data) in overall firearm sales.

So, speculating aloud here, I wonder whether Sig's recent success in the Army's pistol competition and subsequent choice by more law enforcement has eaten into Glock's market share. I don't know.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Glocks will always be popular. However it must be realized that the competitors are finally catching up.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivryn View Post
Saw this article on Bloomberg.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...ump-presidency

While all gun manufacturers have seen sales declines with a republican in the White House, 35% seems huge. Canít help but think that striker fired competitors are a decent part of that. Not hating on glocks. They make a great weapon, but up against the new CZ P10c, VP9, p320, PPQ and new MP 2.0 they are starting to show their age. Hope the 19x and new glock .45 can help them get some market share back.
Um, the "new" Glawk 45 isn't a .45

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 10-16-2018, 02:02 PM

Glocks are cheap, ugly, and functional, but very 1980's tech. there are some new things on the market, other companies are innovating, etc.

I also think that the resent panics/scares have caused everyone that was on the fence about being a gun owner into being one. the people that buy variety are the people like us, who are taking time out of their day to talk about, read about, and shop for new stuff. People like my FIL who never really cared still don't. He got his first AR because I gave him one, but he's good with one.

on the fence, 1 box of ammo a year, gun sits in the drawer people are all stocked up.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:21 PM

Well it is no secret that gun sales in general are down.

Glock was the top of sales for years because of their marketing/le sales department. Sooner or later the market is going to look at glock perfection and yawn. I get the if it ain't broke don't fix it but glock needs to come out with something new.

To me when I see a glock it is like looking at an old 38 special revolver. Nothing special or nice to look at but it gets the job done.

For the record I do not own a glock.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
Glocks are cheap, ugly, and functional, but very 1980's tech. there are some new things on the market, other companies are innovating, etc.
We are now into the 5th generation of Glock pistols, and yet they STILL haven't done anything about their lousy ergonomics. About the only thing they still do that others don't is completely disassemble without anything more than a punch. Virtually everyone else makes a pistol that is just as reliable, yet doesn't feel like a 2x4 when you grip it nor does it point to the sky.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:49 PM

My Glocks function flawlessly and hit what I aim at. Whats to improve? While I much prefer my 1911's , glocks feel fine in my hand
Old 10-16-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
We are now into the 5th generation of Glock pistols, and yet they STILL haven't done anything about their lousy ergonomics. About the only thing they still do that others don't is completely disassemble without anything more than a punch. Virtually everyone else makes a pistol that is just as reliable, yet doesn't feel like a 2x4 when you grip it nor does it point to the sky.
I have never understood this. Aftermarket frame makers like Lone Wolf, have showed it is possible to make a Glock comfortable. But the OEM frames still end up being the same plastic grip many know, and despise generation after generation.

I also dont understand the refusal for a manual safety option on commercial pistols. Foriegn military contracts get them, the MHS trials got a few, but the commerical market is not even offered one.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ, the Gen 5s are fantastic guns and the ergo "problems" actually make the gun run very quickly and also makes manipulation very easy and the angle of the grip is very good to help naturally lock ones wrist. They are very good and I would say the best non-custom guns out there and for sure my first choice in the sub $1000 tier of guns.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 10-16-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I much prefer the Glock grips and trigger, 2 common complaint points, to any of the striker competition.

Do some feel better? Sure. But none shoot better in my hands.

Far as I'm concerned, Glock doesnt need to change. It does what it does well.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
I beg to differ, the Gen 5s are fantastic guns and the ergo "problems" actually make the gun run very quickly and also makes manipulation very easy and the angle of the grip is very good to help naturally lock ones wrist. They are very good and I would say the best non-custom guns out there and for sure my first choice in the sub $1000 tier of guns.
This is about all I can say about Glawk "ergos"...
Attached Thumbnails
96227611-612x612.jpg  

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 10-16-2018, 04:11 PM

My Mom and my Dad both carry Glocks. Both have had problems with their guns malfunctioning. While we're pretty sure my Mom was limp wristing, my Dad had to order all kinds of after market parts just to get his gun running. With very little support from Glock customer service(we were all surprised at how little they cared if the problem got fixed or not). My Ruger SR1911 has been more reliable than both of their Glocks. For Glock having such a reputation for reliability and being "so much better than those dinosaur 1911s", I'm not impressed.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:12 PM

I think the people who really love Glocks have got what they want. You can only have so many of the same thing. I also think a lot of people who "like" Glocks are realizing they are NOT perfection and there are better guns out there. And there are at least a few that kinda gave up on them with the Gen 5.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAYHEM* View Post
I also think a lot of people who "like" Glocks are realizing they are NOT perfection and there are better guns out there.
Glocks might not be perfection but the Gen 5 series are about as close as Glock has come to perfection. The Glock 19 Gen 5 might be the best gun ever made outside of the 1911. Iím getting a Gen 5 MOS 19 and putting an Aimpoint Acro red dot when they come out.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:52 PM
Adminstrator

Quote:
Glocks will always be popular. However it must be realized that the competitors are finally catching up.
Catching up and surpassing...
Old 10-16-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Posted by dsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW McVay View Post
Catching up and surpassing...

Id say they passed em a long time ago. They didn't add backstraps and single stacks, etc. because they wanted too.

I would be much more interested in the financial breakdown of Civilian vs. LEO sales in this so called 35% percent drop in revenue due to "panic buying" as reported. Course this is Bloomberg reporting, they still believe that there is shoulder things that go up.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Administrator

I do have to admit, since I bought my S&W M&P 2.0 Compact it has gotten plenty of range and CCW time while my Gen4 Glock 19 has been merely sitting in a lockbox beside my bed doing absolutely nothing. The G19 would certainly do its job in the event of a break-in, but it's no longer the gun I prefer to shoot and carry. I think I've put maybe 200 rounds through it at most in the past year. The S&W, at least 10x that number.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Absolutely agree. It is funny how people think that Glock is incapable of changing their designs and ergos, or respond to the market or specific procurement needs. That's after they changed what they needed to change to win an FBI contract, or after they produced, on demand, a thumb safety offering, and more reliable and safer than that of its competition, for MHS trials, or whipped up a new offering in less than a year on a basis of unexpected commercial success of another model. Gen 5 is nothing revolutionary but it is indeed their best gun and smoothest release to date. I think it is pretty obvious: it is not that they can't, they don't want to change things. They don't want to change the grip shape; there has been a lot of very impressive shooting done on very large scales with that grip. They don't want to change their trigger design; they thing that double action striker trigger is safer than single action. There is absolutely nothing on this market that tells them they need to. They haven't lost that much. They defended the FBI deal. The Army contract was lost by Beretta, not Glock. They've not lost any big LE contracts, whereas much improved M&P 2.0 hasn't gained anything while the "superior engineering" of HK seems positioned to lose one of the largest US agencies.

So, despite what that article says (btw, they listed world sales data, not US, so we can't even deduce what's US market shares are), Glock is doing fine. I absolutely wish that they improved many things about their guns but even as is they are still the dominant striker poly force.

Last edited by YVK; 10-16-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPREDATOR View Post
Glocks might not be perfection but the Gen 5 series are about as close as Glock has come to perfection. The Glock 19 Gen 5 might be the best gun ever made outside of the 1911. Iím getting a Gen 5 MOS 19 and putting an Aimpoint Acro red dot when they come out.
I can think of a LOT of pistols I'd rather have than a Glock. In fact there are Glock clones everywhere now and I'd rather have most of them over the Glock.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Adminstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVK View Post
...and more reliable and safer than that of its competition, for MHS trials,
Evidently, that's not what the Army thought.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:51 PM

What Bloomberg failed to take into account, is the huge markup on Glock pistols. I do believe that Glock admitted under oath that a Glock pistol costs under 100 dollars to manufacture. I recall at least one LEO forum member saying the LEO volume price per pistol was like 68 bucks.

The Glock has remained the same price for decades. If anything, they are cheaper now than they used to be if you take inflation into account. If you consider inflation, Glock has been losing money every year on the market price of their guns. It just doesn't phase them as the guns cost so little to make.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944