ignition parts issue - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 PM

ignition parts issue

I bought a RIA officers model a couple years ago and did a trigger job using the marvel jig. After about 2-300 round the safeties started to fail and would fire without the grip safety pushed in and would also fall on the hooks with the safety on. It has sat in my safe over a year. I did not send it to RIA as I have worked on it and they should not be on the hook for it. This last weekend finally replaced the ignition parts with a Wilson Combat edm cut hammer, egw sear and a caspian strut and trigger. Now the gun is back kn working order. When looking closely at the stock sear the edge looks badly hammered and rounded over. This has got me wondering if these parts are just surface hardened like and AR15 trigger? Any of you guys have a similar experience. I have made a concious not to use premium parts next time to be safe.

Now i guess i need to plan one refinishing it and replaceing the sights.

Last edited by hzhardy; 06-09-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 PM

Sounds like a bad heat treat job to me.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:09 PM

I'm going to guess ...but are sure your over travel screw was adjusted with enough clearance that the half cock notch wasn't banging the sear nose with every shot?

..L.T.A.
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
I'm going to guess ...but are sure your over travel screw was adjusted with enough clearance that the half cock notch wasn't banging the sear nose with every shot?

..L.T.A.
original trigger bar did not have an over travel adjustment.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:08 PM

I recently did a trigger job on a Citadel fullsize 9MM gun. So far So good but I do wonder how long it'll last. I took the hooks down to about .022", and installed a Colt sear spring. It isn't a super crisp trigger but it's much better and lighter than it was. I've probably run 5 or 600 thru it so far. I figure a hammer and sear won't cost a lot if it does wear right away.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:37 PM

Both my 10mm and my TCM have exceptional triggers doing nothing. Curious to why the trigger job to start with.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhopper View Post
Both my 10mm and my TCM have exceptional triggers doing nothing. Curious to why the trigger job to start with.
i had bought the marvel jig to do my two caspian builds, so it was a victim of oportunity.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:53 PM

I had a similar problem with the grip safety on GI 45 CS.
Ended up just needed a little coaxing of the main spring.
I also have a C&S disconnect and sear that need fitting some day OEM is still in it now.
There is way too much choice in parts for 1911s today.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysGone View Post
I had a similar problem with the grip safety on GI 45 CS.
Ended up just needed a little coaxing of the main spring.
I also have a C&S disconnect and sear that need fitting some day OEM is still in it now.
There is way too much choice in parts for 1911s today.
You can't beat a good set of barstock parts. I spent around 100 dollars on this project. Now I want to blue it and install a new set of sights along with an ambi safety from Caspian.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
My Citadel was horrible, had to have work done. You just got lucky.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:19 AM

No offense, but sometimes it takes using a premium trigger job to realize how crappy the factory sets are. None of my semi auto guns will ever match my revolvers and bolt gun triggers, but i would not want triggers like that on a semi auto carry piece.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:23 AM

Is the price of the gun related to the quality of the gun...or is that just my imagination. Na, it's just my imagination. Harbor Freight stuff is just as good as Snap On, everyone knows that.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
Is the price of the gun related to the quality of the gun...or is that just my imagination. Na, it's just my imagination. Harbor Freight stuff is just as good as Snap On, everyone knows that.
No one here is comparing a RIA to a les baer, so what is the point of your post. I know were my RIA sits on the totem pole, but I also have premium guns either built with premium parts or bought from premium manufactures. The whole point of this thread was to let people know the factory parts in these guns maybe surfaced hardened and not able to be worked on.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:46 PM

There have been quiet a few of us that have had really good triggers on our RIA's. If your suspicians are spot on, wonder what the round count would be before it would be noticeable. I probably have colse to 3k on the 10 and around 2k on the TCM.

I have had to use my True Radius jig on my Kimber to try and get it better but it is still along way from the Rocks. Didn't feel the need on them. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers either as I have bought premium parts for other guns like the Kimber. Steve
Old 06-11-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
There have been quiet a few of us that have had really good triggers on our RIA's. If your suspicians are spot on, wonder what the round count would be before it would be noticeable. I probably have colse to 3k on the 10 and around 2k on the TCM.

I have had to use my True Radius jig on my Kimber to try and get it better but it is still along way from the Rocks. Didn't feel the need on them. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers either as I have bought premium parts for other guns like the Kimber. Steve
AR15's and M16's have logged tens of thousands rounds down the tube with no issues with only surface hardening the hammers and triggers. If the parts are never touched with a stone to remove the hardening they should last a lifetime. Now mine could be a fluke as well which should have been hardened through, but either way I believe it is best to use aftermarket parts to modify and save your originals for when you need warranty work or choose to sell it.