Current Wait Times on Les Baers - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-31-2015, 09:03 PM

Current Wait Times on Les Baers

I am looking to graduate with my MBA sometime in mid 2016 and would like to reward myself with a nice gun purchase (Ed Brown, or Les Baer.....leaning toward the Les Baer). What are the current wait times? Going through the photos, I see some waited as long as 14 months to finally get their gun. Also, on Les Baer's website, it says there is no express warranty.....but I assume they take will care of problems should they arise, no?

TIA

Also, I saw a pair of wooden grips with a metal logo inlay which were stunning. Can you add these sorts of grips, or are certain grips only sold with certain models?

Old 01-31-2015, 09:36 PM

First of all, congrats on the MBA!

The gun in your post has had some custom work done. The grips, sights, barrel crown, and heavy machine chamfer are most notable....dont think any of those came stock. Looks like 20LPI on the front strap too.

Not sure on current wait times, but call crazy john now....he will hook you up.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:05 PM

Wow, that is a stunning Mono. Definitely didn't come from LB like that. As far a wait times, I ordered a UTC January 5 2013 and am still waiting. Both [email protected] Haven, and Hammond Guns & tackle, are known to have them in stock. If you want a naked slide, or no FCS, you might get lucky w/either of them, or you might be in for a wait.

EB turn around was 3mo prior to SHOT, they maybe longer now. I ordered a ECII in July and had it 90 days later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 10:09 PM

Les will not put anything on one of his guns that he does not sell. If you want a crowned barrel or custom sights, you will have to get a smith to work on your gun. John stocks Les Baer’s, so you should be able to pick up most models without a wait. I have several Les Baer’s and a new Ed Brown. Les Makes a good gun for a decent price. Ed Brown guns are more refined and cleaner on the inside as well. That’s what and extra 1000 will get you. Both guns shoot great and are more accurate than I am.
If you want custom work done, I recommend Alchemy customs. They have worked on three of my 1911s.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 PM

That gun belongs to JoeyMac,(https://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...=472224&page=2) those are Sarge's grips but I forget where he got the medallions. Send hime a PM and I'm sure he'll share the info.

Like others said, get a bone stock Baer from either CJ or Jerry Hammond and then send it off to ACW to get customized.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:21 PM

LOL, that's mine!

Funny thing about that gun... I ordered two Les Baers around the same time. The Monolith took 5 months and the Stinger took about 15. So the answer is... perhaps it depends on what gun you order. I suspect he builds guns in batches and maybe 4.25" Commanches are less popular so they take longer to fill a run. (?)

It came as a Blued Monolith and when I ordered it from Les Baer I also contacted a quality 1911 custom smith to order the work for it. That way, when it showed up all I had to do was break it in and I was already in line with a pistolsmith. Pretty much any decent pistolsmith will have a backlog to work through.

So the Monolith certainly isn't stock, and I'm not sure Les Baer wouldn't fix anything on that gun under "warranty". It's got a handful of custom work from Alchemy, a refinish, and custom grips. Sarge made the Maidou Burl grips and inlaid some sterling silver medallions that I supplied. In hindsight, I probably would have ordered a new grip safety and Wilson one piece MSH/Magwell - but that's about it. Les Baer makes a solid hand-fit 1911 and if you want it more than semi-custom, Alchemy can really kick it up a few notches.

Shoot me a PM with any questions you have. I'll try to remember to check here regularly
Old 02-01-2015, 12:38 AM

Les Baer can be finicky about any warranty work. Catch him on a bad day and you'll get an ear full.

Alchemy Custom is the go-to gunsmith for Les Baer 1911's. Rob and Jim both hail from Les Baer's shop. They do awesome work.

Happy shooting and be safe.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:53 AM

I ordered a Monolith in early Feb of last year. I was told 10 to 14 months. Well it wasn't 10 and 11 is not looking good. But I am quite excited to get it.
Below is a link to the thread where I asked the same question. Concencus seems to be over a year.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=477549
Old 02-01-2015, 01:14 PM

That mono is fantastic. Love it
Old 02-01-2015, 01:58 PM

I lucked out, my GB guy had a PII and a UTC come in 3 weeks apart. I bought them both. Also bought a Springer Gov that going to Rob's and a ROC. Yeah, it has been a spendy month but sold an 80 series Colt and I had a bunch in the gun money account. Note I said had. Never spend more than you'll miss.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyMac View Post
LOL, that's mine!

Funny thing about that gun... I ordered two Les Baers around the same time. The Monolith took 5 months and the Stinger took about 15. So the answer is... perhaps it depends on what gun you order. I suspect he builds guns in batches and maybe 4.25" Commanches are less popular so they take longer to fill a run. (?)

It came as a Blued Monolith and when I ordered it from Les Baer I also contacted a quality 1911 custom smith to order the work for it. That way, when it showed up all I had to do was break it in and I was already in line with a pistolsmith. Pretty much any decent pistolsmith will have a backlog to work through.

So the Monolith certainly isn't stock, and I'm not sure Les Baer wouldn't fix anything on that gun under "warranty". It's got a handful of custom work from Alchemy, a refinish, and custom grips. Sarge made the Maidou Burl grips and inlaid some sterling silver medallions that I supplied. In hindsight, I probably would have ordered a new grip safety and Wilson one piece MSH/Magwell - but that's about it. Les Baer makes a solid hand-fit 1911 and if you want it more than semi-custom, Alchemy can really kick it up a few notches.

Shoot me a PM with any questions you have. I'll try to remember to check here regularly
That's a beautiful gun!
Do you have any pics of the Stinger?
AC
Old 02-01-2015, 10:14 PM

Your Mono is a beauty. What was your down time having the work done at Alchemy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyMac View Post
LOL, that's mine!

Old 02-02-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawgrass View Post
That's a beautiful gun!
Do you have any pics of the Stinger?
Mostly Stock. Just added a FLGR and some new shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs View Post
Your Mono is a beauty. What was your down time having the work done at Alchemy?
I think start to finish was something like 9 extra months once I sent it to Alchemy and I can't speak to his current wait times. I can't remember because I was overseas when the pistol came from CJ and then overseas again when it got back from Alchemy. But I had gotten in line when I ordered the pistol from CJ so that made things easier. Things just worked out.

1911 work and orders is alot like plaing the NFA game. Know what you want, order it and forget it. Be surprised in a bunch of months later.

Last edited by JoeyMac; 02-02-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Rust View Post
Wow, that is a stunning Mono. Definitely didn't come from LB like that. As far a wait times, I ordered a UTC January 5 2013 and am still waiting. Both [email protected] Haven, and Hammond Guns & tackle, are known to have them in stock. If you want a naked slide, or no FCS, you might get lucky w/either of them, or you might be in for a wait.

EB turn around was 3mo prior to SHOT, they maybe longer now. I ordered a ECII in July and had it 90 days later.
Rust, is that a typo? Waiting on a UTC order for over 2 years?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:45 PM

BEAUTIFUL piece you have their Joey. Good god!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightlines View Post
Rust, is that a typo? Waiting on a UTC order for over 2 years?
Doh, good catch! Jan'14, how do I edit the post?

Last edited by 1911Rust; 02-02-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 AM

That's a good looking Stinger JoeyMac.
Thanks for the pic. Single or ambi?
AC
Old 02-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Single with slim grips & 20LPI for carry.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:23 PM

I am at 13 months as of today on my Ultimate Master 1.5". My dealer ordered 5 at last years shot show, and I bought the first.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:59 AM

I ordered an SRP, single side safety, no FCS, 1.5" guarantee and it took a little over 21 months to finally get to my hands. Ordered in May 2013, arrived Feb 2015.

It was a wait to be sure, but it was worth it in the end. 500 flawless rounds (no exaggeration either) across 6 different shooters with varying degrees of skill.

Bottom line, Baer pistols are definitely worth the wait. I have 2 (my other is a custom carry), and both are phenomenal guns.

Last edited by ClefairyTorii; 03-04-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 AM

I waited 11 months for my P2, it was worth the wait.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterinpa View Post
..............would like to reward myself with a nice gun purchase ...........leaning toward the Les Baer). What are the current wait times? ......................
The best way is to decide what you want to order and call Baer to see what the wait time it or, as wrx04 said, call Crazy John to see what he's got in stock and get it faster.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:14 AM

The irony is perhaps you should place your order for the Les Baer at the same time you submitted your grad school applications.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:04 PM

It turns out that if you ordered 13 months and 4 days ago, the wait time would be 13 months and 4 days. What a beautiful machine this is!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-10-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
It turns out that if you ordered 13 months and 4 days ago, the wait time would be 13 months and 4 days. What a beautiful machine this is!
[IMG][/IMG]
There is hope for me yet!

13mo, 23 day, & counting.

Last edited by 1911Rust; 03-10-2015 at 09:17 PM.