New Defender FTF - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 PM

New Defender FTF

New Defender with about 200 FMJ through it in Colt mags (coated followers) with no issues (other than twice when I could feel the slide cycling very slowly during recoil - it almost "slapped" itself back in place, but it did cycle).

230 Hydrashok and 230 Golden Saber are a no go. Frequent FTF in stock Colt mags and (maybe worse) with a Wilson 47D. Frequent as in 10/50 rounds. Brass to the face as well... FMJ and HP. No limp wristing. I like this little guy... but for a CCW piece, I really need reliable feeding with the HPs.

Suggestions?

If the answer is "sell it and get a lightweight Commander", I can live with that, but if it's an easy fix... I like the holster I already bought for the Defender
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 AM

Sounds like extractor tension is the problem.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 AM

Would you be against experimenting with other HPs? I have had some pistols that like one over another and think it an easy solution.

I tentatively ask without the intention of starting another HP bullet arguement.
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 AM

Would extractor tension only effect JHP?

I am not opposed to another type of bullet, but have already tried 2, and it gets expensive! I have 10 boxes of GS, so it would be great if it worked... I had always found it to be a good feeder....

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:30 AM

If its only FTFeed, IMO it is probably magazine related. Try shooting a couple of rounds without the magazine in place. If it cycles, it is not an extractor problem. I have had some FTFeed problems with my new CRG with the 2 Colt marked CM magazines. They would either nosedive or 3 point jam with the full 8 rounds loaded. With 7 rounds loaded in the magazines, it was better but not 100%. I am going to buy some Tripp super 7 kits and see if that works. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumach View Post
I am not opposed to another type of bullet, but have already tried 2, and it gets expensive! I have 10 boxes of GS, so it would be great if it worked... I had always found it to be a good feeder....

Thanks!
Yes, 10 boxes surely negates my suggestion!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 AM

Ok - magazines... I have tried factory and Wilson 47. What else do I need to try? I have some CMC Power mags, and a Mecgar OACP mag, but they both have uncoated steel followers (don't want to scratch the aluminum).
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:

230 Hydrashok and 230 Golden Saber are a no go. Frequent FTF in stock Colt mags and (maybe worse) with a Wilson 47D. Frequent as in 10/50 rounds. Brass to the face as well... FMJ and HP. No limp wristing. I like this little guy... but for a CCW piece, I really need reliable feeding with the HPs.
Easy fix as far as brass to face goes.....a needle file is required to slightly alter the angle of the ejector nose. Be careful now...a little filing goes a long way. Before you file, make sure your extractor tension is right on.

Do not use Wilson mags, use Colt mag or Kimber officer mag with skirted no tilt followers only.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 AM

I would put a new recoil spring assembly in if you haven't since you have tried different mags. Then I would try 230gr FMJ. Cheap stuff like from Wally World. I think it is Federal now but used to be Winchester. After that look at the ejector and extractor. If you don't feel good about doing it then find a good gunsmith. Should not cost that much.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:56 AM

defender

Run some more fmj. It helps nock off sharp edges and smooth out the action..check extractor tension .. it makes a big difference with brass to the face.. I am on the same boat. I just picked up a new defender two weeks ago. . but I learned from my first defender.. run more fmj then try your hd rounds...
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 PM

+1 for The Kimber mags with the skirted follower. I buy the cheaper blued Kimber mags for about $20 each.
Wilson 47d mags don't have enough spring tension in the front of the follower, so it sags. The new Wilson ETM mags are much better.
My Defender fed hollow points right out of the box. Anything and everything. Give it another 200 rounds of ball and see how it performs.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM

1, make sure the slide stop works easily and is effective locking slide back on empty magazine. (all magazines you use)
2, make sure the grip you use, allows ZERO contact with slide stop, either side, while firing.
3, confirm pistol will hand cycle a full magazine, including slide locking back after last cartridge.
4, perform extractor tension test, (several on YouTube)
LIVE FIRE EXTRACTOR TEST
5, EXTRACTOR TEST.. Load one round and chamber using magazine. Release and remove magazine, FROM YOUR LOADED WEAPON, fire the
round. (should eject clear and predictable)
REPEAT TEST.
Other factors, use a lot of lube on rails. Check to make sure magazine lips are not in contact w/ ejector. Replace factory recoil spring.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 PM

My 2011 vintage Defender feeds my handloads flawlessly. It has never chambered a factory round. My carry load is a Hornady 185gn XTP hollow point loaded into new Starline cases with a taper crimp,and enough Accurate #5 to get 1050 FPS. There is no sign of metal wear on the aluminum feed ramp from using the XTP JHP bullets
Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhShot! View Post
+1 for The Kimber mags with the skirted follower. I buy the cheaper blued Kimber mags for about $20 each.
Wilson 47d mags don't have enough spring tension in the front of the follower, so it sags. The new Wilson ETM mags are much better.
Exactly....Wilson 7rd officer mags do not have enough spring tension to keep the bottom cartridge from slipping off during recoil with compact 1911s.

Last edited by zdragon52; 10-30-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks all!

I called Colt and explained the issue. I got a live technician on the phone within one minute. They sent me a FedEx call tag, and promised to have their smiths get it feeding the ammunition of my choice, and test it with that ammunition.

That's some great customer service from a legendary American company.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 PM

Try the Wilson 8rd officer mags, they work great. (47DOX)
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 PM

Just another opinion but I have a Commander that much prefers WC ETM 500's over the 47 d's and the pistol will take everything I've fed it. If you don't like the big pads you ca buy smaller.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks all!

I called Colt and explained the issue. I got a live technician on the phone within one minute. They sent me a FedEx call tag, and promised to have their smiths get it feeding the ammunition of my choice, and test it with that ammunition.

That's some great customer service from a legendary American company.
Sweet!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 PM

fsumach,

Let me know how this all turned out... I took my Defender out for a spin a couple weeks ago to put a box of 50 through it along with 2 magazines of my carry ammo. Well, I'm running the gun with Winchester Ranger and OEM mags and KimPro mags.. up to that point I've had great success with that combination. Well I started having FTF.. about two every magazine. I cleaned up the gun and out it away and decided to test some before I decided to carry again. I took it out today, and again, FTF with Rangers and Win FMJ. So I'm going to give another 200 rounds of FMJ after I order some Wilson mags and see where I'm at. I hope to get this fixed as soon as possible. Been carrying my Commander.. which I like a lit.. but that Defender is like I'm not carrying anything at all being so light weight.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 PM

I haven't tried defensive ammo in mine. Mine loves ball ammo so that's what I carry.. when my life depends on it ...I need 100% dependability
Old 11-17-2013, 10:34 PM

I even tried 50 rounds of FMJ.. and had FTF in every mag.. at least one per magazine, sometimes 2.. even three once.. just really disappointed because it had been flawless since I got it in January. Nonetheless I'm glass I ran into the problem at the range and not in a really bad situation.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Gentlemen (and Ladies) I suspect some really simple points just need checked. 1.) Clean and lubed to start with. 2.) Check and adjust extractor tension (do a search here or web - ALL 1911 Owners should know how!). Check for any burrs/roughness on the breechface, extractor hook. 3.) Yes, 1-200 rounds of Ball is a good idea for ANY new carry gun. 4.) Rare, but possible Department - I have seen some mag catches that held the Magazine a touch low - try a different one if you have one.

Otherwise, let Colt figure it out - that's part of their Limited Lifetime Warranty. CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 11-20-2013, 04:15 PM

set extractor tension perfectly, as per instructions just about anywhere.
check for any obvious roughness or burrs and remove.
clean and lube liberally. Insure recoil assembly is up to the task. Shoot a lot more 230 grain fmj through it. I use metal form mags with full skirt with great success. New mag springs are cheap insurance and they do wear out.
If all that fails let Colt have at it. They are doing a good job with warranty, but I'd bet it won't be needed. Good advice up there about keeping ones hands away from slide stop, too.
Best,
Old 12-02-2013, 01:25 PM

Well... I got it back from Colt on Friday. They noted they "repaired for function - hollow points". Cleaned and lubed. Hit the range this morning with 230 GS and factory Colt mags.

On the second mag it started the ftf episodes again. I tried the Wilson 47 again and it was better, but I only had enough ammunition left to shoot a couple mags with the Wilson.

How can I send it in... have them keep it a month... and not be fixed at all? This shakes my confidence... almost like they didn't even test it at all...

It is not shooter induced. I have experience with 1911s and no issues.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 PM

In defense of Colt, I gave them another call and they are taking it back to ensure it works... I am disappointed in the gun so far - but impressed with Colt's willingness to take it back home and keep working to make it right. That means a lot.