Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp35 View Post
What size height are your sights?
Mine shot low also and I changed out the sights.
I have no idea. They are the factory installed tritium night sights.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 AM

I finally got my second EMP, selling my first one after frustration at not being able to find a holster for it. The problem early on was the holster makers did not have an aluminum mold for the EMP. Unfortunately there appears to be only one maker of the "dummy" guns and they do not always choose to produce them for all models. Now that the EMP is popular one is being made. Sam Andrews of Andrews Custom Leather, in Florida made mine in a great cocked and locked thumbstrap OWB configuration. Fits perfectly, rides high and is fully lined. Logman did an extra set of mags for me and now it conceals perfectly.
As to the question of shooting 1" high or low, 30 years of law enforcement training tells me a kill shot is a kill shot.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0712.jpg  

Last edited by JMBnut; 10-27-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: wrong attachment
Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 PM

I had no problem getting a holster over 3 years ago for my EMP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBnut View Post
Sam Andrews of Andrews Custom Leather, in Florida made mine in a great cocked and locked thumbstrap OWB configuration. Fits perfectly, rides high and is fully lined.
This is certainly a fine looking holster. If a thumbstrap is not a need, the EMP fits perfectly into any well made 1911 3" holster. It might even work well with this size holster with a thumbstrap, but I cannot attest to that.

Mine rides in a Milt Sparks VM2 1911 3" very well.

MP
Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 PM

I find it hard to believe that you couldn't find a holster! Crossbreed, TT Gunleather, Milt Sparks, 5-Shot, etc. I'm sure all had them. Any 3" 1911 holster will fit.
1911 Addicts
Old 10-27-2011, 08:03 PM

My crossbreed holster, meant for fullsize models, fits the EMP perfectly...
Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 AM

I have to agree with the above posts..

My EMP fits perfectly in my K&D holster that was made for my Kimber CDP Ultra.

It also fit fine in a UBG IWB holster made for a 3 inch 1911..

Although I did have to have another mag holder made.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 AM

All those holsters look great! I do know from experience that the EMP total package is slightly smaller than the original 1911. After retiring from law enforcement I worked with Sam Andrews building holsters..... hundreds for the 1911 platform in different configurations, ie: OWB, IWB, thumb strap and w/o strap, and I am familiar with most variants of the 1911. I'm sure that most holsters built for the 3" 1911 will fit for the EMP but for the exact fit the holster should be molded to the exact weapon. I have Kimber, Sig, S&W and Colts and believe me they all fit differently in basic 1911 holsters. Just some added info.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ttie1 View Post
I have no idea. They are the factory installed tritium night sights.
I (and most) don't care for the factory sights and bought aftermarket. If you knew the height, you could order ones that are correct for your shooting style.
If you you wanted to go that route.

Most, including me, use .375" rear/.140" front.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
You don't have to have a light trigger, but one that is properly fit is WORLDS above the standard EMP trigger. I suspect mine to be 3-4lbs and it's so crisp and smooth. It really does break like glass, it's just fantastic.
So are you saying that an aftermarket trigger takes up most of the creep?

I have had a trigger job done using factory parts and it brakes very cleanly at 4lbs, but still has the standard creep. Or do you need aftermarket internals?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
So are you saying that an aftermarket trigger takes up most of the creep?

I have had a trigger job done using factory parts and it brakes very cleanly at 4lbs, but still has the standard creep. Or do you need aftermarket internals?
Hmm....I wonder if you are equating creep, with needed pre-travel. Pre-travel of .030"-.060" is normal for all 1911's. After the pre-travel the feel should be a clean break.

LOG

Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 PM

I finally got to go to the range today after having my emp for a month now. All I have to say is that it was a dream to shoot. Nearly perfect, had a couple of jams but it was because i was using some cheap steel crap, but with brass it was perfect. I think i need to tune the extracter cause it was flinging brass close to my face. Can anyone give me a link to show how to tune it. I got my a&g custom belt, love it, and I can't wait to carry the emp tomorrow after she gets a good cleaning tonight. She was perfect with federal hst's and had only a couple of ftf with ranger t's. I can't wait to go to the range again! Thanks to everyone that helped me choose this beautiful weapon. And sorry about the long read.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggerpete View Post
I finally got to go to the range today after having my emp for a month now. All I have to say is that it was a dream to shoot. Nearly perfect, had a couple of jams but it was because i was using some cheap steel crap, but with brass it was perfect. I think i need to tune the extracter cause it was flinging brass close to my face. Can anyone give me a link to show how to tune it. I got my a&g custom belt, love it, and I can't wait to carry the emp tomorrow after she gets a good cleaning tonight. She was perfect with federal hst's and had only a couple of ftf with ranger t's. I can't wait to go to the range again! Thanks to everyone that helped me choose this beautiful weapon. And sorry about the long read.
I'm very glad that you are very happy with your EMP, but I am a bit confused as you say it was a dream and then list: a couple of jams, brass flinging into your face, and FTF with some ammo.

I had one issue with my EMP (light strikes), and I immediately sent it back to SA, which fixed the issue very quickly and returned the pistol very quickly. You might want to rethink your EMP as a carry piece until everything works perfectly.

Enjoy your new EMP, as it is a terrific pistol.

MP
Old 10-29-2011, 05:56 PM

I was expecting jams because I'm breaking in a tight gun and i only got jams using cheap steel ammo and jhp. The brass never hit me in the face it only got close. Total out of 200 rounds, 2 were jams and 3 ftf but all the FYR were with my brother and cousin who are less experienced than myself.. Plus all the jams were from the same mag which leaves me to believe it was a mag issue not the gun.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I (and most) don't care for the factory sights and bought aftermarket. If you knew the height, you could order ones that are correct for your shooting style.
If you you wanted to go that route.

Most, including me, use .375" rear/.140" front.
I appreciate your help. I'm just going to have to grin and bear it for a while. I hate to spend that much for a pistol with night sights and immediately have to replace them. I know where it shoots and I'm just going to have to compensate for that for now.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM

"Kentucky Windage"

Go figure.

Fred
Old 10-30-2011, 02:41 PM

New EMP 9mm initial experience

I got my new 9mm EMP yesterday.

After a basic field strip and lube, I shot 50 rounds Federal 124gr FMJ and 50 rounds of Federal 147 9MS HP.
No malfunctions occurred during the first 100 rounds, ejection of brass a few feet to my right and primers displayed a sufficient impact.
I did notice the 147 gr. Federal 9MS was a little "catchy" and the slide had to be pushed a couple of times to finish chambering the first round; I load the 1st round by pulling the slide to the rear and let it go, not riding the slide.

Next item of business was to remove the IL mainspring and replace with a stainless non-IL MSH by Wilson, I used a standard 23# officers spring.
The ambi thumb safety was the 2nd thing that had to go; I fitted (first time ever attempt) a Ed Brown stainless unit and had the best luck possible. I compared the factory safety to the Brown and noted where metal had been removed on the factory unit. I carefully observed how the factory unit allowed no movement of the sear. Prior to any of my modification, the Brown unit wouldn't even go into place. I took a small diamond file and went to work on the Brown safety. I stopped filing when I thought the brown was still not filed down as much as the factory unit, turned out to be a good decision. The brown safety went into place and the fit was perfect on the first try, sear would not move & contact appeared same as factory unit; I don't get this lucky very often.

Today was my 2nd shooting session. I shot more of the Federal 9MS 147 HP and some Federal 124 HST. Like I said, yesterday, I noticed a tendency for the 147 HP to want to catch on the feed ramp when I manually loaded the fist round, but a little push on the back of the slide would cause the bullet to go on and feed, no problem with the pistol feeding subsequent rounds in the magazine. However, yesterday I was typically only loading 8 rounds into the magazines. Today, I loaded the magazine with 9 rounds and the bullet nose went down into the feed ramp when I initally tried to chamber the 1st round. I tried again and got the round chambered and subsequently fired only to be punished with a fail to feed of the 2nd round in that magazine; dang it, my first malfunction with the EMP. I marked that magazine and continued shooting 73 more rounds without any additional malfunctions.
My EMP now has 175 rounds through it: 50 Federal FMJ, 100 Federal 9MS, 25 Federal HST.

Loading 9 rounds into the magazine cause for a problem? Possibly.

I do not like the extended magazine / oversize base plate of the factory magazine and will be sending the magazines to log man for his essential magazine modification.

I'm also going to install a 25# Wolff xp mainspring. The primer indentation was positive with the 23# standard spring and comparable to what the original IL-MSH produced. However, I do not want it to be any less positive after the pistol has been kept condition one for a couple months; plus, Federal primers are "softer" IME than others and are likely to display the most positive strike that will be obtained. So, as insurance against any loss of tension over time or ammunition with a harder primer the slightly stronger 25# mainspring should satisfy.

I chronographed the Federal HP loads, average for 5 shots:
Federal 124 gr. HST @ 994 fps / 272# KE / PF 123
Federal 147 gr. 9MS @ 921 fps / 276# KE / PF 135

I'm going to have to try some HP ammunition with a more rounded profile, like the "green box" Remington 115gr. I have Remington 115gr, but I have the +P version and am reluctant to shoot it in the EMP. It does not catch when loading the first round, but the nose of the chambered bullet got a little dent on the edge of the HP. Winchester Ranger T 124 gr. also fed without being catchy and it did not display a dent, but it's a +P load too. I know it's supposedly okay to shoot +P in the EMP in limited amounts, but I'm not one to be satisfied with vague guidelines, so I'll stick with standard ammunition.

Here is my most packable 1911:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow up reports to come after magazine modification, and getting different HP ammunition.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
I got my new 9mm EMP yesterday.

I did notice the 147 gr. Federal 9MS was a little "catchy" and the slide had to be pushed a couple of times to finish chambering the first round; I load the 1st round by pulling the slide to the rear and let it go, not riding the slide.
Thank you for the terrific range report. Let me address just one of the issues you mentioned, as I am not an EMP expert, but did have a similar experience and came up with a solution from one of the members of this forum.

You might notice that if you manually cycle and ride the slide a slight or total pause/stop just as the bullet is about to be cambered. This actually coincides with the slide depressing the disconnector. My pistol was so "tight" that the slight lack of spring pressure needed to ride over the disconector slowed the timing enough and reduced slide velocity enough to cause the issue.

I was advised to remove the magazine and manually cycle the slide 500 times with a field strip, clean and lube every with very light oil 100 cycles. This worked perfectly for me, as the surfaces mating perfectly, and the pause at the disconnector became almost non-existent. All rounds have since chamber perfectly.

Again, thanks for a great report.

MP
Old 10-31-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusProd View Post
Thank you for the terrific range report. Let me address just one of the issues you mentioned, as I am not an EMP expert, but did have a similar experience and came up with a solution from one of the members of this forum.

You might notice that if you manually cycle and ride the slide a slight or total pause/stop just as the bullet is about to be cambered. This actually coincides with the slide depressing the disconnector. My pistol was so "tight" that the slight lack of spring pressure needed to ride over the disconector slowed the timing enough and reduced slide velocity enough to cause the issue.

I was advised to remove the magazine and manually cycle the slide 500 times with a field strip, clean and lube every with very light oil 100 cycles. This worked perfectly for me, as the surfaces mating perfectly, and the pause at the disconnector became almost non-existent. All rounds have since chamber perfectly.

Again, thanks for a great report.

MP
Thanks!

Your suggestion makes me wonder if I should shoot a box or two of +p rounds to break it in quicker.

I'm also wondering which bullet & weight would be best in this pistol. The 147 bullets had a tendency to hit a little more to the right, but that could possibly vary between brands.
Is the 147 gr. weight is potentially best in terms of feeding due to the OAL compared to 115 or even 124 gr.?
Would the longer OAL possibly hit the ramp at the best angle compared to shorter bullets?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:00 PM

Just came today from SACS

Nothing special ....

Checkering
Cut and Crown
Colt style cut under trigger guard
Trigger set at 4 pound
bore sight
Some internals worked on

Thats all Folks ....Keep it simple
Attached Thumbnails
EMP low.jpg   EMP checkering.jpg   EMP CUT AND CROWN.jpg  
Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuePsiPhiSmkr View Post
Nothing special ....

Checkering
Cut and Crown
Colt style cut under trigger guard
Trigger set at 4 pound
bore sight
Some internals worked on

Thats all Folks ....Keep it simple

S&A Magwell was put on....
Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Grips Issue

After shooting 400 rounds yesterday with my EMP, the G10 grip screws worked loose. This isn't the first time it has happened. What do you guys use to keep them in place? I thought about Loctite but I don't know how hard the screws would be to loosen if I used it. Thanks for your expertise!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM

I don't think that loctite would be a good idea if you are using the factory screws; they are made of very soft metal and mine stripped out in removing the factory grips. I would suggest new screws and using o ring rubber washers that are available from VZ grips. I've used the o rings and have had no probelms.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMAN0090 View Post
I don't think that loctite would be a good idea if you are using the factory screws; they are made of very soft metal and mine stripped out in removing the factory grips. I would suggest new screws and using o ring rubber washers that are available from VZ grips. I've used the o rings and have had no probelms.
+1. The factory torx grip screws are very weak at the head, and often break. #60 o rings from Ace hardware work well. Suggest new grip screws too.
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmD208 View Post
After shooting 400 rounds yesterday with my EMP, the G10 grip screws worked loose. This isn't the first time it has happened. What do you guys use to keep them in place? I thought about Loctite but I don't know how hard the screws would be to loosen if I used it. Thanks for your expertise!
I've got a few sets of those o rings from VZ and I'm not going to use them.
If you would like a set, PM me your address and I'll mail you a set.

That applies to anyone here.
The first 3 that ask will have a set mailed to them, free of charge.