N00b shooting advice - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 01:54 PM

N00b shooting advice

I like to shoot with a WW2 standard issue, 1942 1911A1 Ithica.
I started shooting it with my grandfather when I was 8. Then have started shooting it in the last year, 45 years later.

When I use correct form, stance, line it up, take my time, breathe, etc. I shoot pretty well. 15 yards has a nice grouping, 25 yards I hit the silhouette. Good but nothing special

But when I just line it up instinctively and shoot out 7 rounds, I do better.

More on target, better grouping, less gun rise. I can do a double to the center of mass and one to the head in a second. Lining up takes about 20 times longer.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-25-2020, 02:50 PM

I find this isn't that unusual. Especially if your grip, trigger pull and recoil management is sound.

I can shoot better groups at 25 yards, at practical speed, than I can if I have no time limit. Practical speed meaning firing each subsequent shot as soon as my sights return from recoil and the sight picture is acceptable for the accuracy I desire.

I think this is because as soon as you see the required sight picture, you're firing the shot. It also gives you less time to think about the explosion that's about to occur and hence, less likely to react to it. Further, when you hold a sight picture for too long, you're going to get oscillation in your sight and, at least for me, a little build of anxiety with trying to figure out when to best drop the hammer.

In other words, you're over aiming and over thinking during very deliberate slow fire. Your conscience mind gets overloaded, you start to anticipate and then bad things happen. Faster shooting, everything is driven from the subconscious mind. The only thing occupying the conscience mind is looking for an acceptable sight picture to send the next round downrange.

At least that's my theory anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Last edited by anonymouscuban; 05-25-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:53 PM

hehehe.. I like that. "wrong".

Little brother gets irate when I ask for opinions on sights and such. I always remember his eyes are dozens of times better than mine, (which is why my rifles get scoped), but he also outshot guys with $3K guns while his sights fell off his knackered 1911's: he doesn't use the sights.

Yeah, I'd love to have this problem of "doing better" without aiming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
I like to shoot with a WW2 standard issue, 1942 1911A1 Ithica.
I started shooting it with my grandfather when I was 8. Then have started shooting it in the last year, 45 years later.

When I use correct form, stance, line it up, take my time, breathe, etc. I shoot pretty well. 15 yards has a nice grouping, 25 yards I hit the silhouette. Good but nothing special

But when I just line it up instinctively and shoot out 7 rounds, I do better.

More on target, better grouping, less gun rise. I can do a double to the center of mass and one to the head in a second. Lining up takes about 20 times longer.

What am I doing wrong?
Are you saying when you shoot instinctively @ 7 yards you don't use the sights at all? I think most shooting schools teach "instinctive" shooting (no sights) up to about 3 yards, and aligning your sights at any greater distance, although from 3 to about 10 yards the sights may not be carefully or perfectly aligned.

Distance magnifies alignment errors, so it's quite common to shoot "better" at 7 yards than 25 yards.

If you can do 2 COM & 1 head shot in 1 second at 7 yards "instictively", would it really take 20 times longer (i.e. 20 seconds) to take 3 aimed shots @ 7 yards? Probably more like 2 seconds vs 1 second.

Can't figure out why you have less gun rise @ 7 yards, though.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by RetiredRod; 05-26-2020 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:26 AM

I was wondering if I was anticipating the kick when I think about it and pushing my hand forward without knowing it.

Manual says the best way to test this is to load live and load one or two blanks in. Your reaction shouldn't be different when firing either one. Not sure where I get blanks though.

I'm clearly overthinking it when I take my time. But thinking about it doesn't seem to work
Old 05-29-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity
I'm clearly overthinking it when I take my time.
But thinking about it doesn't seem to work
It seems to me that you already know what to do.
The old saying is "take your time, but do it quickly".

You have progressed to the point where you need to TRUST your training, and just shoot.
I'm sure that most, and possibly all of us, have had one of those sessions where we are
concentrating on the target and feeling the trigger reset, then letting the next one fly.
At least for me, that's when I shoot the best. As you said, overthinking is a detrimental
element in a shooting session.

I'll guess you could paraphrase that as "Just relax and shoot".
. . . . it doesn't matter what the answer is.
~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.