Should I buy this BHP? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-04-2020, 04:26 PM

Should I buy this BHP?

Okay, guys. First post, long time 1911 owner.

Like a lot of us, I've wanted a BHP. I stopped into a pawn shop on a whim and found a Stainless, Belgian made BHP. They're asking $800 and I might be able to get it a little less.

Should I pull the trigger? ( I literally did and holy hell it's smooth )Click image for larger version

Name:	20200504_135316.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	582250Click image for larger version

Name:	20200504_135418.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	582252Click image for larger version

Name:	20200504_135424.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	582254

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2020, 05:07 PM

yes
Old 05-04-2020, 05:17 PM

Absolutely yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2020, 05:23 PM

Are you sure that it is stainless and not chrome or nickle? I didn't think that FN ever made any in stainless.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:23 PM

I would pass. First it is not stainless. It is hard chromed if the finish is original. The rear and fronts sights are aftermarket replacements. Someone did a poor job of bobbing or doing a no bite mod on the hammer. It still sports an old small thumb safety. To me this gun screams Bubba did the work. Hard Pass.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:35 PM

>>>...found a Stainless, Belgian made BHP...<<<

Sorry....there are no stainless steel FN/Browning, Belgian made Hi Powers. FN/Browning never produced a stainless steel Hi Power. The pistol you're considering is at best a hard chrome applied finish.(or perhaps looks like Ceracoat ??).

Having said that.....You betcha'. Buy it (before someone else does) and pat yourself on the back at how wise and clever ya' were to recognize a great pistol every time ya' take it to the range to shoot.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:01 PM

Well, I went back and brought a magnet. I'm sure that's all I need to say there.

I plan on getting it stripped, cerakoted and get new sight for sure.

I talked them down to $650 and put some money to hold it for nowClick image for larger version

Name:	20200504_162709.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	582268Click image for larger version

Name:	20200504_162701.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	582270Click image for larger version

Name:	20200504_162648.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	582272Click image for larger version

Name:	20200504_162635.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	582274Click image for larger version

Name:	20200504_162630.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	582276

Old 05-05-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2010SHO View Post
I think the guide rod is installed upside down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2010SHO View Post
I plan on getting it stripped, cerakoted and get new sight for sure.

I talked them down to $650 and put some money to hold it for now...
I think you did alright! I say try shooting using those sights first and see if you really dislike them. I used to own a 1971 BHP that had the beer can adjustable sights. I actually liked the sights!

Old 05-05-2020, 09:57 PM

I don't know about the rest of the gun but the sights are definitely Millets which were original equipment on the "Sport" model. Here's mine, a PN (1989):

Old 05-06-2020, 08:57 AM

Yes Millet sights were used by FN on some Sport models but the OPs gun is a 1973 C gun not a 80's Sport. A beer can rear and a stepped front sight would be the correct adjustable sight on a 1973 BHP.

Also look at the dovetail. It is not cut the same way yours is. The front half is inset into the slide. FN did not do that with the Millet sights they installed at the factory. The front sight has clearly been modified. It has S&W style red insert installed. My major concern with this gun would be that it is going to be hard to swap out that rear sight. Whoever did it took a lot of meat out of the slide. I am not saying it cannot be done but this most likely is not going to be a simple mill the slide and install the sight kind of job. In the the OP pic you can see chatter marks or some amount of unfinished work on the slide near the rear sight dovetail. All of this points to Bubba or at the very least and unfinished job. If I was the OP I would get my deposit back and look for an unmolested BHP.

VS

Last edited by rellascout; 05-06-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:28 AM

Nice Hi Power.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
Yes Millet sights were used by FN on some Sport models but the OPs gun is a 1973 C gun not a 80's Sport. A beer can rear and a stepped front sight would be the correct adjustable sight on a 1973 BHP.
I guess you missed the part where I posted, "I don't know about the rest of the gun..." I specifically made no claim about the OP's gun being a Sport or what a "correct" sight would be. Thanks for correcting something I didn't say.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringFrosty View Post
I guess you missed the part where I posted, "I don't know about the rest of the gun..." I specifically made no claim about the OP's gun being a Sport or what a "correct" sight would be. Thanks for correcting something I didn't say.
You original statement implied that the sight could be stock. I simply explain why I believe it is not and why the OP should pass on this gun. If you did not intent to imply that the sight could be stock what was the point of your post.

If we had an award for the most useless post in this section pf the forum you would get my vote.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringFrosty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
You original statement implied that the sight could be stock. I simply explain why I believe it is not and why the OP should pass on this gun. If you did not intent to imply that the sight could be stock what was the point of your post.

If we had an award for the most useless post in this section pf the forum you would get my vote.
Gentlemen! Take a deep breath and don't get too excited. We should all be happy that the OP found a BHP that will make a good shooter. And a guy with a BHP that brings happiness is worth talking about.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:52 PM

If you can get a significant price reduction, take it. You want it as a shooter, right? Not as a purist's collector gun. If the negotiated price is right, you can use your savings to dress it up later as you go.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
If you can get a significant price reduction, take it. You want it as a shooter, right? Not as a purist's collector gun. If the negotiated price is right, you can use your savings to dress it up later as you go.
Definitely just for play, but learning the slide has been modified to make the rear sight fit really has me wondering now. I've waited this long, what's a little longer, especially if it's for a better specimen

Old 05-07-2020, 06:10 AM

How does it shoot?

IMO, if the rifling is intact, for 650$ you did OK. FN Brownings don't grow on trees, like some of those plastic guns.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:12 PM

At $60, I think you did ok. I have to agree with rellascout though, $800 was too much.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:47 PM

Looks like a decent pistol, I'd just put an ambi safety, and maybe a different pair of grips. Magazine disconnect would get tossed out too, if it hasn't already.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:45 PM

Well, I officially pulled my deposit. Once I realized the slide had been modified, it kind of flipped a switch on my interest for it. I flipped through gun broker and found a few that would be reasonable and a bunch that are cheap, obviously haggard, but I could get them cheap and send them off for refinishing/restoring.

I appreciate all the feedback. Definitely helped a lot.

I'm sure with the scaredemic still going on, people are offloading some stuff, I may find a better deal anyway

Old 05-17-2020, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Pawn shops can easily get a person into trouble because they often have unusual guns for a seemingly good price. Then once you've had time to sleep on it for awhile you begin to realize there are better guns or deals to be found elsewhere. At my local pawn shop they always have a good selection of used 1911s, things like an old Series 70 or a Commander that's priced low but has had the sights replaced or something. I'll get the urge to buy it "just because", then hold off, and later be glad I did because it would've meant I wasted money on just another project gun I really didn't need.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Pawn shops can easily get a person into trouble because they often have unusual guns for a seemingly good price. Then once you've had time to sleep on it for awhile you begin to realize there are better guns or deals to be found elsewhere. At my local pawn shop they always have a good selection of used 1911s, things like an old Series 70 or a Commander that's priced low but has had the sights replaced or something. I'll get the urge to buy it "just because", then hold off, and later be glad I did because it would've meant I wasted money on just another project gun I really didn't need.
dsk has a great point. If I go to a pawn shop without my wife I will get something and have buyers remorse within 48 hours. Especially a few years back when all those surplus High Powers were imported.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:30 PM

I'd have picked it up with little hesitation.

I like the sight installation and I really like the hard chrome. And if the trigger is smooth (looks like the mag disconnect was removed), that's a big win in my book.

The only thing I don't care for is that they retained the tiny, impossible to manipulate factory safety... but even then, the later ambis are little better, so that's something I'd be replacing with a sensible aftermarket part anyway.