1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Comes with two mags?

Just a quick question.
I just bought a new colt defender in 45 amp. LGS said it only comes with one mag while everything I read says it comes with two mags.
Did it ever come with only one mag in the box?

By the way its a great ccw piece. Very reliable.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:13 AM

Recently bought a Government in .38S, dealer said same. Dealer and I have done a lot of business, so absolutely no reason not to believe him. My research the last few weeks indicates that sometime the last couple of years, they did start shipping with one. Confusing too, since same models shipped with two just prior.

If I could EVER get Colt customer service to answer the phone, Id get a definitive answer. Calling to get date of manufacturing info, but couple other questions too. Im starting to think theres a secret handshake or something to be entitled to talk to them. 14 calls in 3 days, 10 minute plus holds each time before I give up, last was 15. They really should upgrade their system with You are number xx in the que.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:42 AM

I think it was Nov of 2018 Colt said one mag again. Now the ones I bought back in 1978 and 1979 new only came with one mag. Not sure when Colt went with two mags.
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 11:51 AM

Sounds like it depends on when you bought one. Ill give the lgs the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Stay with colt or any recommendations for additional mag?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:08 PM

It's right on their web site...1 mag only

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Colt 1911s came with one mag from WWII until about
the 1980s. By then I think the company was so shamed
that 1911 competitors provided two except I believe
Kimber.

In those days surplus .45 mags were abundant and
generally very reliable at decent prices.

Since last fall, it's been one-to-a-customer again. Guess
Colt is doing OK in sales and believes it no longer pays
to spoil the customers.

Of course, the way forum posters often disparage the
factory mags and turn to others such as Wilson, Colt
may really know what it's doing.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:38 PM

Be aware that a lot of unscrupulous dealers will steal the extra magazine out of the box and sell it or just keep it for their own use. Colt has not manufactured magazines for many years - they buy them from sub contractors. They were never that great with anything but ball ammo.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:56 PM

I suspect manufacturing, packaging, shipping from the factory occurs in cycles of model and packaging efficiency....or one would think so. I figure as models and offerings vary with time and add the distribution chain of models and offerings they arrive in the consumers hands without regard to the date the advertised package was published. If you are buying a new gun from dealer, ask before you pay. It sorta like buying a car, if it ain’t all there, don’t close the deal. How hard can this be?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 AM

The sort of funny thing is these days when I buy a 1911 I usually leave the second mag in the box if there is a second mag. I have LOTS of 1911 mags, esp. in 45ACP but now even in 9mm, 38 Super and 10mm.

Now I just bought a SIG 365 and there I do want the two mags. Interesting one is slightly longer than the other. My wife is O.K. with the flush mag buy the slightly longer one gives my little finger a place to go with that pistol.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:11 AM

I bought my Stainless Colt Competition model in August 2018 and it came with 2 stainless 8 round mags. Starting in November 2018 Colt only provides 1 magazine.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 AM

mine came with 2
Old 12-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Colt's cost-cutting has become extremely evident lately. Only one magazine included. No more polished blue finishes (except on the high-end models). No more steel mainspring housings or triggers. All pistols have the same uniform J-cuts on the breech, narrow barrel hoods, 10mm relief cuts, and late-style takedown notches regardless of model. The only model that was different from the others (Series 70) was discontinued. Owner's manuals are the same regardless of model. While other companies are expanding and diversifying their product line Colt continues to shrink and consolidate. Honestly I'm shocked they even bothered to get back into making revolvers again.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.