1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Administrator

School shooting in Santa Clarita, CA

Sounds like a young man on his 16th birthday brought a .45-caliber handgun to school and shot five classmates. One 16yo girl and a 14yo boy are dead, and the others are in serious to critical condition including the shooter who turned the gun on himself. Cops say the pistol was found empty so it's sounding like he must've had a 1911 and shot himself with the last round.

I'm guessing it's a love story gone bad, and the dead girl is probably his ex. I'm also guessing he got the gun from his parents. However I'm 100% sure the CA dimwits are going to call for stricter gun control measures, as if they're not already strict enough in CA.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/n...7-332d5b83259f

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/san...XvN?ocid=ientp
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 11-14-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:47 PM

There is apparently already chatter on various anti-gun sites about attacking the weapon and not the shooter. I would expect nothing else. Even though the kid violated about six laws before he opened fire the morons still think ONE MORE LAW will fix the problem.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:48 PM

Sad, prayers for the victims.
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
... Even though the kid violated about six laws before he opened fire the morons still think ONE MORE LAW will fix the problem.
Clearly more gun control laws are needed. He might have obeyed the seventh law if the liberals in charge of that state had passed one.

Prayers for the victims.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
There is apparently already chatter on various anti-gun sites about attacking the weapon and not the shooter. I would expect nothing else. Even though the kid violated about six laws before he opened fire the morons still think ONE MORE LAW will fix the problem.
Yep. As the old saying goes: "When JFK was assassinated, no one attacked the gun".

Agent Orange---the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately this does highlight the fact that in this day and age you cannot leave guns unlocked and accessible by your teenage kids. We all like to say that OUR son or daughter would never take one of our guns to school, but you honestly don't know for sure. You also don't know if one of their friends might take it when you're not watching. My parents let me own and keep my own firearm since I was 14, but sadly I don't think they would've risked it today.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Very sad. I live in Porter Ranch which is not too far from SCV. I don't think the girlfriend was a victim. The reports are saying the girlfriend and the shooters mother are being interviewed by police.

And I'm sure this will lead to more rhetoric about more gun control. Especially from our d-bag governor. One person interviewed live is stated that the father of the shooter recently died. And that he was a reloader. That's all we need... for them to go after components. So far, components have not been touched by the nanny state law pushers.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Unfortunately this does highlight the fact that in this day and age you cannot leave guns unlocked and accessible by your teenage kids. We all like to say that OUR son or daughter would never take one of our guns to school, but you honestly don't know for sure. You also don't know if one of their friends might take it when you're not watching. My parents let me own and keep my own firearm since I was 14, but sadly I don't think they would've risked it today.
I don't disagree with you but there is no way I'm to believe that this kid woke up this morning and decided to carry out this violence. There were signs. Unless the parents have completely no involvement in this kids life, they have to have known he had issues.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:18 PM

One thing I know....no one knows and no point in speculating because it’s almost always wrong.

Never the less, more dead kids. Ugh.

One discussion I would to see is holding others accountable for a teen getting a gun. The kid got the gun from someone. But then again, that’s speculating 🙂
Old 11-14-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
Quote:
I don't disagree with you but there is no way I'm to believe that this kid woke up this morning and decided to carry out this violence. There were signs. Unless the parents have completely no involvement in this kids life, they have to have known he had issues.

We are all told “see something, say something”. But when someone does, everyone freaks out.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
...My parents let me own and keep my own firearm since I was 14, but sadly I don't think they would've risked it today.
No... they would have been charged and locked up, and you would have gone to foster care; after all, the nanny state knows how to better raise children then any parent.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:31 PM

The gun grabbers started screaming for more laws, more restrictions, "for the children" before the wounded made it to the hospital.

Just shows they really don't care about kids, only their agenda.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:43 PM

The anti-freedom crowd has no problems dancing in the blood of the victims in their pursuit of 100% disarmament.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
No... they would have been charged and locked up, and you would have gone to foster care; after all, the nanny state knows how to better raise children then any parent.
The nanny state is who is raising all these kids now. They are indoctrinating them to the point that some stupid kid thinks killing his friends will make him a star on social media.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:06 PM

We don't need gun control, we need "teen" control. The problem is that the Marxist have indoctrinated a good two generations of weak minded snowflakes. This idiot kid picked up a gun so that he'd be a front page news story. Probably thought he'd help defeat Trump by committing gun violence.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
We don't need gun control, we need "teen" control. The problem is that the Marxist have indoctrinated a good two generations of weak minded snowflakes. This idiot kid picked up a gun so that he'd be a front page news story. Probably thought he'd help defeat Trump by committing gun violence.
I think it's that these young men lack a sense of purpose in life. They're taught women no longer need men for anything. Marriage and raising a family is no long something that people desire. If they're not academically inclined, there is no path for them.

I was married young. I was 21. My wife had our daughter shortly after. Wow did that change me quick. I went from a boy that just wanted to hang out to a man with a sense of duty to provide for his family. I had people counting on me. I was scared out of my mind but boy to it make me feel proud. I am the man I am today because of it. No telling what type of jamoke I would have been if I never met my wife. That was over 30 years ago. I owe everything to my wife and daughter.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Wait until the media tries to change gun like in this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=0kxDfMafZkI
Old 11-14-2019, 08:32 PM

Well at least the governor has a good grip on this.

Comutting the sentences of violent felons. "Just because they used guns in the commision of their crimes. This is no reason to extend the length of their terms."

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2019-11-06.html
Old 11-14-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
That would depend how well you knew your kids. I went to school with many hot heads with access to guns, but all of them had enough decency to know using them on unarmed people would be cowardly, and evil. There was a time when kids were disciplined rather than groomed.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:13 PM

When I was a kid we did not even have rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
That would depend how well you knew your kids. I went to school with many hot heads with access to guns, but all of them had enough decency to know using them on unarmed people would be cowardly, and evil. There was a time when kids were disciplined rather than groomed.
Lines in the sand were clear and we only crossed them at our own peril. We were given to understand that we would be afforded rights when we were ready to take our place in society.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:26 PM

This is so sad, thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Administrator

When I was a kid I was known to be quiet and kept to myself. As a result I was bullied a lot at school. Fortunately we didn't have Facebook back then, otherwise it would've been much worse. I still insist that social media is behind a lot of this, as kids nowadays seek acceptance from larger groups and often receive nasty feedback from total strangers. At the same time they socialize with fewer and fewer real-life friends. Of course it pays for adults to be actual PARENTS and not simply try to be their kids' "friend", but no matter how much you try to immerse yourself into your kid's lives you still don't know what they might be dealing with or getting into when you're not around. Kids are very crafty at hiding things... not just physical objects but also who they're talking to or what they're feeling.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
When I was a kid I was known to be quiet and kept to myself. As a result I was bullied a lot at school. Fortunately we didn't have Facebook back then, otherwise it would've been much worse. I still insist that social media is behind a lot of this, as kids nowadays seek acceptance from larger groups and often receive nasty feedback from total strangers. At the same time they socialize with fewer and fewer real-life friends. Of course it pays for adults to be actual PARENTS and not simply try to be their kids' "friend", but no matter how much you try to immerse yourself into your kid's lives you still don't know what they might be dealing with or getting into when you're not around. Kids are very crafty at hiding things... not just physical objects but also who they're talking to or what they're feeling.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-15-2019, 05:08 AM

Social media should have a minimum age requirement of 18-21, imho, just like they’ve done with alcohol, tobacco, guns and now vaping too. I dont know the details of this latest tragedy, but id wager social media played a role in some way.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
My Dad gave me a Nylon 66 for Christmas when I was 14.
My Mom bought me a High Standard .22 pistol for my 15th BD.
I paid for my own shotgun (870) with money from my first real job at 16.

None of this would happen today....