Carrying.....not comfortable - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Carrying.....not comfortable

I don’t know what it is, but I just can seem to get a comfortable set up.

Yea, yea, yea...a gun should not be comfortable but comforting. But it’s hard when my back is getting jabbed.

Ideally, I would like an IWB option in the small of my back. But I spend too much Dan time messing with hooks, the specific position, and belt loops being different on pants....ugh.

Question....are there any IWB options that can work with a shirt tucked in? (I don’t think so). And what have you guys found to be the best option for IWB, small of back.

I am actually considering a new option from Alien Gear that is OWB but looks very comfortable....naturally would need to be covered by a shirt.

I am 5 9” and 175 lbs. recently lost 20 lbs and I can’t seem to get anything to work right.

May actually use a belly band.

Gun is a 365
Old 11-08-2019, 08:00 AM

A few questions.

What type of gun are you carrying and what type of work do you do?
Old 11-08-2019, 08:02 AM

When you say small of back, I assume you mean adjacent to the spine. If that's the case, I can't recommend that carry mode that due to the risk of spinal dislocation in the event of a fall. I used to carry that way but discontinued the practice after hearing from people who were dealing with the long-term consequences of such injuries or had family members who were dealing with same.

For IWB holsters in general, I've become a big fan of Black Arch. Much, much better made than AG and more comfortable in my experience. BTW, my usual carry gun is a full-size Px4, which is a very thick gun, but carries well for me at the 3:30 to 4:00 position.

BTW, I found the pounds you lost. PM me if you want them back. All too happy to send them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 08:04 AM

We're about the same size but I'm much better lookin'!

Holsters seem to be the most difficult decision for shooters who wish to carry.

Start with a "stout" belt design look at belts designed for carry.

You gun will determine which specific holster will work best.

I carry a one of two Kimber Pro Carries in an IWB at 3-4 o'clock in an older Tueller. My shirt gets kind of rolled up in that area to mitigate any tangles but still provides cover.

A full size gets a OWB in the same area same with revolvers.

Smiles,
Old 11-08-2019, 08:05 AM

I have two plastic bins full of all manor of holsters. I even used to make and sell my own line of holsters. I have never, ever found an IWB holster that was what I would call comfortable. The most comfortable holsters for me have always been strong side OWB, and is what I daily carry with a shirt untucked over it. And coincidentally we are both about the same size. Two things I do find ease the comfort level are a true re-enforced pistol ( I prefer the Blade tek ultimate carry belt) belt and speed clips to allow removal for driving.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:11 AM

If I remember correctly from another post you said you carry a sig p365. Total opposite of what you asked for but sneaky pete makes a owb holster for your gun. Gun is fully covered so it could pass as a cell phone holder.

Another gun guy might make you but the average joe would not give you a second look.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
A few questions.

What type of gun are you carrying and what type of work do you do?
Office work mostly. Can’t carry at work though. So this would be for my own use.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Face View Post
When you say small of back, I assume you mean adjacent to the spine. If that's the case, I can't recommend that carry mode that due to the risk of spinal dislocation in the event of a fall. I used to carry that way but discontinued the practice after hearing from people who were dealing with the long-term consequences of such injuries or had family members who were dealing with same.

For IWB holsters in general, I've become a big fan of Black Arch. Much, much better made than AG and more comfortable in my experience. BTW, my usual carry gun is a full-size Px4, which is a very thick gun, but carries well for me at the 3:30 to 4:00 position.

BTW, I found the pounds you lost. PM me if you want them back. All too happy to send them.
That’s correct. Not on the spine.

Yes, my body shape has changed a lot. I have gone from sitting on my ass to working out and kick boxing daily...4 months now. Jeans have gone from 35/36 to 32s. Body fat from 27% to 18% and dropping. So everything has changed for me. Nothing works anymore for me in a lot of ways. It’s as if I am two different people.

It’s a good problem to have I guess but an issue. And what works today may not work in 4 more months.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
If I remember correctly from another post you said you carry a sig p365. Total opposite of what you asked for but sneaky pete makes a owb holster for your gun. Gun is fully covered so it could pass as a cell phone holder.

Another gun guy might make you but the average joe would not give you a second look.

Interesting...thanks. They seem goofy but I get it. Might work well. I like it because it seems as though it’s easy to remove too in regards to removing before getting out of the car or when getting home.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
That’s correct. Not on the spine.

Yes, my body shape has changed a lot. I have gone from sitting on my ass to working out and kick boxing daily...4 months now. Jeans have gone from 35/36 to 32s. Body fat from 27% to 18% and dropping. So everything has changed for me. Nothing works anymore for me in a lot of ways. It’s as if I am two different people.

It’s a good problem to have I guess but an issue. And what works today may not work in 4 more months.
Congrats on the weight loss. I've had less time available to exercise than I used to (extremely erratic work schedule couple with family issues) and the consequences have not been limited to weight gain.

Regarding IWB carry, I have found there are too many variables for a holster to be predictably comfortable: The difference between one pair of pants and another, how much the fabric gives while being worn during the course of the day, plus daily fluctuations in body weight all make it a crapshoot for me. What works one day is a miserable experience the next. I'm going to go against conventional wisdom on belt selection and say that I have found that a more flexible belt with plenty of adjustment works better for me while still keeping the gun secure.

If you're willing to consider ankle carry, Galco's Ankle Glove has been a godsend for me. I carry an XD Mod 2 Sub-Compact in one and even though it's a fairly heavy gun when loaded, my biggest problem is that it is comfortable enough that I often forget about it and have come close to inadvertently going into the office while wearing it. (That would be a no-no where I work.)

P.S. I like an ankle holster better than a belt holster for carrying while driving. Much easier to get to without giving the motion away with exaggerated upper body movement.

Last edited by Pale Face; 11-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Get away from center of back carry . Move around to 3:00 for a right hander Start off with a low cost Desntis Sof-tuck to help you fine tune your carry possition and height . Then you can order something else , maybe . Center of back is just not a great way to carry and your size has nothing to do with it .
Old 11-08-2019, 09:03 AM

Many years ago when I first got into CC’ing (and didn’t know much) I carried small of the back. I would never carry that way now. Yes there is a risk of a spinal dislocation but it’s also a lot slower on a draw and your arms will be in an awkward angle on the draw. Also one thing you’ll notice if you’re working out, the more muscle you put on the less range of motion/flexibility you’ll have unless you do serious stretching. This will make it difficult for a SOB draw.

There are a million different holster options out there. Finding one to easily conceal a tiny 365 should be easy.

I personally carry a STI doublestack daily in a appendix IWB holster (t-shirt untouched) most days and OWB at 3 o’clock when I can wear a cover garment. For reference I’m 6’00” and 175-180lbs.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:07 AM

I’m going to play devils advocate, 1st do you have a legitimate quality gun belt (Milt Spark, Crossbreed, etc) second the investment in a quality holster is the next big step. Carry will never be perfect in a 39.99 off the shelf holster. Elite holster manufacturers are in business with 10-12 week wait times because they work.

With all that appendix is a great concealable carry method with the right holster specially designed for AIWB tier1 concealment is a great product.

If AIWB is not for you strong side to 4 o’clock in a quality wide spread leather IWB such as TT Gun Leather Slim XC or the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 or if you are looking for an over the counter option Galco V- Hawk.

Any of the options with a quality gun belt should resolve your issue.

Example: my personal carry rotation Wilson Combat CQB full-size IWB in TT GUN LEATHER SLIM XC, Wilson Combat CQB Bill Wilson Carry 4” in Milt Sparks Versa Max ans my 3rd rotational weapon is a STI Staccato P in a tier 1 axis slim AIWB rig.

Good luck sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 AM

I work all day with centerline carry of my listed carry gun as a mechanic, it depends on holster. I had to have mine made exactly to my specs as a one off for it to be totally concealed, fast, and comfortable.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 11-08-2019, 09:28 AM

The 365 is one the smallest 9mm you can carry. Aiwb carry with a tuckable clip would work fine. I carry my shield in Vedder holster and it’s very comfortable. The 365 should also work in a pocket holster. I think everyone who carries has a box full of holsters don’t give up.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:51 AM

I'm another who suspects the belt is the culprit here. Gotta have an actual gun belt to tote guns. The belt makes all the difference in the world to effectively carrying a side arm in comfort.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:34 AM

I'm about 6' 1" and 195 lbs, and I cannot carry IWB. I've tried multiple different holsters and none of them work for me. I need to tighten my abs for sure, but I'm not overweight by any means. I carry OWB in leather holsters 99% of the time. Oddly enough, I use a $10 Velcro type belly band holster to carry my Glock 19 when I run and it works great. I figured it would be a waste of money but was pleasantly surprised it actually works. I would use it for every day carry if I had to.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Suspenders can make up the difference when wearing a non-gun belt.

I bought Perry suspenders when I got my CZ97. I do use a Tucker gun belt most of the time when carrying, but I use the suspenders all the time, even when I'm pocket carrying my P938 while wearing slacks with a light weight belt. Well worth $15.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crh View Post
Suspenders can make up the difference when wearing a non-gun belt.

I bought Perry suspenders when I got my CZ97. I do use a Tucker gun belt most of the time when carrying, but I use the suspenders all the time, even when I'm pocket carrying my P938 while wearing slacks with a light weight belt. Well worth $15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuWzeoIr7J4
Old 11-08-2019, 04:37 PM

Start with a good belt; Boxer Tactical would have been my suggestion since they were made in the USA but it looks like they've closed, unfortunately.

As a second option, check Kore belts. They're made in china..

Both of the above belts adjust in ~0.25" increments, vs. ~1" increments on other belts. The belt made all the difference for me.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
I don’t know what it is, but I just can seem to get a comfortable set up. Gun is a 365
I predominantly carry a P365 XL in a MTR Leather Avenger IWB tuckable holster. I occasionally use a Cross Breed Super Tuck also for the 365. I typically carry in the 3 30 to 5 positions.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Hell..... You oughta be able to carry a 365 under yer hat.......
Old 11-08-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Hell..... You oughta be able to carry a 365 under yer hat.......
That's what I was thinking. I was expecting at least a Glock 19 or bigger.

OP have you considered in front of the hip? I carry my guns, even tucked (for church) in a Vedder light tuck at 2 o'clock, right over my right pocket. For comfort, body type and posture reasons I cannot conceal anything larger than your 365 behind my hip, but can comfortably carry just about anything right on front of the hip.

As for tucked, a little natural blousing at the waiseline makes tucked carry easier than untucked for me in many situations.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:53 PM

In the waist band on my left side for snubbies, autos. Shoulder holster for big magnum revolvers up to 10” barrels.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 11-08-2019, 07:54 PM

In the waist band on my left side for snubbies, autos. Shoulder holster for big magnum revolvers up to 10” barrels.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......