1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-24-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
I have no desire for a 1911 in .380. I do own a Makarov in .380, & a 9x18 Makarov, + a polish P64 in 9x18. All are more compact, lighter, accurate & reliable. I always prefer these for C.C. Especially since installing the Israeli beavertail - mag release GRIPS on the Makarovs. Highly recommended.
Just saw this and have to agree 100%. And the Maks are actually blued, not parkerized!

best
jr
Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 PM

Found the problem. Mag.

Well, that was easy. I called Armscor about my issue. When I inserted the empty (stainless) mag, it would nudge the slide stop out a smidge. This would make it lock into the takedown notch. I found a coil of the mag spring in the opening that was contacting the slide stop. Rock Island sent a new, black magazine. Totally different from the first. The "New" mag is styled like a classic 1911 mag and has a removable floor plate, unlike the stainless one. I also had found it odd that the stainless mag base was skinny and didn't really fill the bottom of the grip. The black one fills the space between the grips. Though a bit tight to load, the black mag works flawlessly. Now if I can just find a couple more of those. The Baby Rock, by the way, shoots great so far after about 200 rounds.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:13 PM

One came in as trade in at Gunshop I work at.
Gun picked it up few weeks ago from us. He didn't like it, because he had to carry it cocked and locked(he traded it for Burtha Thunder).
With my employee discount, it came to $239, So I took it(well, put it in layaway anyway. Not my payday...).

He said he ran 1 mag through it, and that was it(he had a box of ammo that he bought with it when he bought it with 7rds missing...).
He also claimed that it ran fine. Will see.

I know that RIA's warrenty is best, so I figure if any issue, i'll just send it back
Old 01-25-2017, 05:23 PM

Looks cool, but I will stick with the DAO platform
Old 02-10-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mity2 View Post
One came in as trade in at Gunshop I work at.
Gun picked it up few weeks ago from us. He didn't like it, because he had to carry it cocked and locked(he traded it for Burtha Thunder).
With my employee discount, it came to $239, So I took it(well, put it in layaway anyway. Not my payday...).

He said he ran 1 mag through it, and that was it(he had a box of ammo that he bought with it when he bought it with 7rds missing...).
He also claimed that it ran fine. Will see.

I know that RIA's warrenty is best, so I figure if any issue, i'll just send it back
As hard as these things are to find, you stole that one!

Gun Test magazine rated it an "A". Personally, I think it is pretty cool but a little small. Not too small though and it makes it easy to carry if you want. After I figured out my magazine problem it has been great. Good trigger right out of the box. Just a little bit of a challenge because of the size. I have to concentrate just a bit more but when I do it is quite accurate. Loving it so far.

All I have done with the warranty is call about the magazine issue. No question, they sent a replacement out very quickly.

I generally prefer my guns compact (though I adore my full size 1911's the most). I think the Baby Rock will be in my collection for a while.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradleyHarris View Post
For a while Cabela's was accepting back orders for the Baby Rock but they canceled my order last week and it is no longer listed on their web site. I have a SA 1911 in 45 ACP and a Browning 1911-22. I really want a Baby Rock to fill in the gap in my collection and I refuse to buy the polymer frame Browning.

Each month I email Armscor Support asking when the Baby Rock will ship and each month I am told something like "the end of the month" or "next month" or "they're starting to ship slowly now".

It sounds like what the computer industry calls vaporware. A manufacture will float an idea for a product and maybe show a prototype to the press to gauge demand. There are no actual plans for production and if the manufacturer decides that the demand will never be great enough there never will be.

Has anyone out there actually received a retail Baby Rock? Does anyone know of a gun shop or distributor that has, or even has had, them in stock?
JB,
Yeah, I have a production RIA Baby Rock .380 1911, and it shoots
great. I do not know why Armscor stopped shipping the Baby Rock.
I got mine at Cabela's in Waco Texas. (Mine is not for sale)!
Blackie
Old 06-02-2017, 12:02 PM

I have a baby rock. The slide won't close on an empty mag, the silver one that comes with the pistol. So I bought the black mags from advance tactical. They won't seat because the feed lip runs into the ejector. My only recourse is to send it to RIA and wait for 6 weeks
Old 12-22-2017, 12:29 PM

I bought a baby rock 380 today. It is the first one my LGS got in. I paid 369.99. With a box of shells, I paid 405.99.
The gun looks very much like the 380 Llamas I owned many years ago. The gun appears to be very well made. The one thing I am going to change is doting the sights.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 PM

I Gave Up

I cancelled my order about a month ago.

I was not going to be insulted anymore with Armscor's $%%#@&% excuses as to why they are having difficulty shipping the Baby Rock pistols.

My order had been in for over a year and a half. No handgun manufacturer can take over a year to correct a manufacturing problem or they shouldn't be in the business.

I think their problem is not with a manufacturing process but is more likely a business problem, perhaps with importation of parts or the gun itself.

Enough said, I am through with Armscor
Old 12-25-2017, 03:30 PM

I got mine a few days ago. It reminds me of the Llama 380. I plan on taking it out weather permitting in the near future. It cost me $369.99 plus tax, with a box of shells (50) total was $405.99. It was the first one my LGS got in.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:44 AM

Thanks. Looking forward to your post on your baby rock...
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Old 12-28-2017, 03:33 PM

I had a Baby Rock and had problems with the slide not locking up after the last round. This problem did not appear right away but after about 200 rds:

In addition to the slide lock up problem I did not like thr plsstic trigger as well as the fact it was a blow back pistol rather than a locked breech.

I sold it and bought this:

It is a 50 year old pistol and the operation is flawless snd the felt recoil is less as it fires from a locked breach as a 1911 should.

I really like my RI 1911 in 9mm and was disappointed the Baby Rock was only 'like' a 1911
Old 01-28-2018, 08:16 AM

Based on the very favorable review in Guns & Ammo magazine I ordered a Baby Rock in May of 2016. I finally it in October of 2016 after hounding Armscor for months. Right out of the box it had horrible feeding problems which I thought might improve if I shot it enough. After nearly 1,000 rounds it didn't feed any better and the slide had stopped locking back on an empty magazine. It seems that the slide stop works it way partly out while firing. This caused all sorts of problems, including the nose of the slide stop and the notch in the slide becoming so battered that the stop would no longer lock the slide back at all.

I sent the gun in for repair in December of 2017 and Armscor replaced it with a new one. It feeds better, but still not reliably enough to be considered a carry piece, with ball and flat nose FMJ ammo having a FTF rate of about 4% for ball and 20% for the flat nose ammo. It will not feed JHP ammo at all.

The slide stop still wants to come part way out while firing. Even when that doesn't happen it only is only able to rise high enough to engage in the slide stop notch about 50%.

I can only assume that the Baby Rock examples that G&A and others reviewed were specially prepared. The G&A review actually stated that their test gun showed signs of hand fitting. I just read a review of the RIA 1911 in .22 Magnum. As interesting as they make it sound, and again they said it performed flawlessly, I don't planned to get fooled again.

Last edited by JBradleyHarris; 01-28-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: To fix a typo.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:35 AM

Thanks for an informatve post. I will keep my $139 Makarov.

best
jr