Guns and Toilet Paper - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-29-2020, 02:54 PM

Grills disappeared from stores near me. My wife went looking for a new grill and they were all gone from all the stores that normally have at least a dozen or more sitting out for sale.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:13 PM

As mentioned in other excellent posts, lemming-like instincts of "the masses" (for lack of a better word) seem to prevail in regards to creating shortages.

But depending on the nature of the emergency (real or perceiving), the items that become unavailable can differ. In other words, while preparing by looking in the rear-view mirror is only common sense, it might not provide all of the critical "stock-up" preparations needed for whatever the next emergency might be.

In my immediate area, during my first venturing out for groceries, I was surprised to find few remaining selections of milk and orange juice. I.e., availability was limited to a few items at premium prices. Basic store brands mostly were gone.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 05-29-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I agree what you mention is NOT Surprising. I was asking what WAS Unexpected?
Several things that are odd-ball shortages.

Pepsid AC (Famotidine)... the antacid I used to buy a generic at BJ's $9.98 for 200 tablets (2 bottles of 100). Its an H2 Histamine inhibitor, use it to reduce acid indigestion (GERD) also referred to as acid reflux. I am sure many here are familiar with that.

Everyone sold out within days and some gougers were selling the same BJ's generic for $150 for the half of the quantity (100 count)

Turns out that a New York research hospital discovered that it might be possible that Famotidine interferes with the cellular receptor site that the covid19 virus attaches to. In China it was discovered that patients that were on famotidine did much better than those on other more expensive heartburn medication.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...covid-19-trial

Quote:
A generic pill used to treat ulcers, acid reflux and heartburn has been added to the U.S. Food and Drug Administrationís list of drug shortages, just over a week after a report that famotidine was being tested in high intravenous doses as a potential treatment for Covid-19 patients.
The stores are still sold out... CVS, Walgreens, BJs, etc. I manage to find some on amazon.

The other secondary shortage is the non-chloride laundry bleach... the enzymatic stuff for color-laundry.

When Chlorine based Clorax became non-existence at stores because its an excellent disinfectant for all pathogens... the non-chlorine based stuff was plenty. I was running out of chlorine based stuff for my white cottons and so I decided to save what remained of my gallon jug of chlorax and started to use the enzymatic whitener meant for color. Not as good as good ol chlorine based bleach but I didn't want to run short of the good chlorax. I had one partial jug left.

Well... I guess everyone else was doing the same. They switched bleach to the enzymatic stuff, and that sold out almost a week or two later, and that is still not available. But Chlorine based Chlorax is back but they now have smaller 1/2 gallon jugs and limit customers to 2 at a time. Now I still need more of the enzymatic stuff for my color laundry. I now have plenty of Chlorine based Chlorax
Old 05-29-2020, 04:14 PM

I didn't really understand the 'run' on TP. The KungFlu-19 did not generally induce diarrhea.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
I didn't really understand the 'run' on TP. The KungFlu-19 did not generally induce diarrhea.
I'm venturing a guess. With so many things disappearing no one wants to be caught short on something like this. There really aren't any great substitutes for something like this.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
In early March, some talking head got on the major cable news shows, and suggested that "high risk" people stock up on essentials, and specifically mentioned TP.
The masses, being the stupid, ignorant lemmings that they are, panicked.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 06-01-2020, 06:38 AM

Well, the grandkids pointed out a few...
Not a trampoline to be found, impossible to find a TV wall mount and in demand video games are gone.
At least the initial surge wiped out the supply.
I wonder what other items related to trying to occupy your kids have vanished. Back in the day, it was a box of .22 ammo or a clay pigeon thrower and a leisurely afternoon that could occupy a kids time.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Well, the grandkids pointed out a few...
Not a trampoline to be found, impossible to find a TV wall mount and in demand video games are gone.
At least the initial surge wiped out the supply.
I wonder what other items related to trying to occupy your kids have vanished. Back in the day, it was a box of .22 ammo or a clay pigeon thrower and a leisurely afternoon that could occupy a kids time.
Lego sets took much longer to get directly from the Lego store.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:22 AM

Looks like CNN figured out that cheese comes from cows. Since there is a meat shortage, there must be a cheese shortage. Dumb asses........
Old 06-02-2020, 04:34 PM

Not a shortage story, but I work part-time at an auto parts store. As soon as our local county issued a "stay at home" advisory, our retail traffic in the store jumped up. Then, when the stimulus checks arrived, it jumped up again. April and May were both record retail sales months for us. I guess being off work and getting the stimulus gave people the opportunity and the means to work on their cars.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:06 PM

At first, flour disappeared but nobody was buying yeast. Apparently all those new bread bakers figured out their mistake so now flour is plenty but yeast is scarce. As for the toilet paper, while I never ran short my wife told me we were using a lot more than normal since we were both at home 24 hours instead of doing some of our "business" at work. Still, I think it was more panic buying than actual need for that much more TP.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Looks like CNN figured out that cheese comes from cows. Since there is a meat shortage, there must be a cheese shortage. Dumb asses........
An amazing leap in evolution on their part..

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:56 PM

Wait, so that guy who sold me seeds for cheese bushes was mistaken.....?
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:22 AM

No, no, thatís a different kind of cheese.
Go ahead and plant them.....
Old 06-03-2020, 10:05 AM

Unexpected - COOKIES!! I mean, seriously! I went grocery shopping, and the cookie/cracker aisle was just as bare as everything else!

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 06-03-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Wait, so that guy who sold me seeds for cheese bushes was mistaken.....?
You should have bought Cheerios because they are actually doughnut seeds.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:37 AM

I gotta use that....thanks!
Old 06-05-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
You should have bought Cheerios because they are actually doughnut seeds.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
What else did you see that sold quickly? What surprised you most?
Flour and yeast. Unless local preppers cleaned everything out, I'm astonished that many people would bake from scratch.

Rubbing alcohol. "Hand sanitizer" is everywhere now, but I haven't seen a bottle of alcohol for sale for months.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
But they haven't figured out how they get it out of the cow and into the can.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:00 AM

Nor will they....
100% reliant on everyone else, for everything.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I donít home brew. But my brother does and he said all the raw materials are hard to come by. A micro distillery opened about a year ago and they sold vodka, and now free (donation) hand sanitizer... if you bring your own bottle. I got some hand sanitizer from them and bought a couple of bottles of their Vodka. I probably would have not bought vodka from them otherwise. It is not too bad... my wife likes it.

Got a place like that near me in Lansdale PA!
Old 06-07-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
I'm venturing a guess. With so many things disappearing no one wants to be caught short on something like this. There really aren't any great substitutes for something like this.

Anyone else notice TP rolls are getting narrower? I replace a roll on the holder the other day and it wouldn't stay put. I measured the old core , 4 1/2in wide. New ones , 3 7/8in wide.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Anyone else notice TP rolls are getting narrower? I replace a roll on the holder the other day and it wouldn't stay put. I measured the old core , 4 1/2in wide. New ones , 3 7/8in wide.
Sub compact? Does the 3 7/8Ē have a bushing, or a bull barrel?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:

I would believe it. And they will charge more. Gotta love those corporations.