Ol' Squinty Eyes turns 90 - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-01-2020, 11:21 PM

I have all of Clint's westerns, and are among my favorite movies.

So Happy Birthday "Man With No Name".

I suspect that a lot of this ideology among actors and music artists is just pandering to some real or perceived future fan base.

If I had to stop watching movies, or stop listening to music because of the actors or artists ideology, I would have to throw out a bunch of otherwise excellent DVD's and CD's. I try not to listen to them when they are not actually acting or singing or playing.

-
Old 06-01-2020, 11:48 PM

Mr Clint Eastwood - Happy Birthday.
He is my favorite western actor. Ever since I saw The Good - Bad - Ugly. The music score by Ennio Morricone is superb. Director - Sergio Leone,,,a genius.
The cast was over the top, and what a master piece it was.
The Unforgiven was my first and only movie premier Aug 3 1992. But all one has to do is look up his impressive resume, and judge for them self.
Go ahead, make my day. American classic.

Thank you,

BUY AMERICAN.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:10 AM

Yes. Heck, I'd rather not even know the politics of my entertainers or other service providers.

Because it just doesn't matter. If my plumber is a hardcore Ross Perot fan, fine. Whatever. Just fix the damn drain!
Old 06-02-2020, 02:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreddie30.06 View Post
Doesn't matter to me that almost all of Mr. Eastwood characters wielded firearms. He is pro gun control. I don't watch his movies. Never have. But any one reaching 90 deserves a happy birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR.EASTWOOD!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Of course he is. He even told us so in the Dirty Harry series with the quote "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
Old 06-02-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildphil View Post
I liked "A buzzards gotta eat same as a worm".
I actually quoted that to my daughter once. She asked if I was going to bury the copperhead I had just killed with a hoe in the front yard.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:34 AM

Truthfully,, all of Clints movies are really cheesy but I like em and they make you wish that “real life” was so easy. But his movies give you some time away.

My Buddy just bought a S&W model 29 (I think) all stainless, really nice gun!
Old 06-02-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
The only time I saw Clint he was sitting at the bar of his pub, The Hog's Breath, while I carried bus-tubs around.

But his son Kyle was friends with my buddies. So he was often around at parties & such. Seemed okay to me.

It was kind of weird living in the Monterey / Carmel area because there were a lot of famous people around. Often I didn't know who they were at the time.

I loaded groceries into a "nice lady's" car and found out later that she was Doris Day. I served John Travolta a focaccia burger ------- he was mellow & funny.

And at The Highlands Inn I said hi to our security guy as he spoke with a couple guests. Later on I found out they were Sean Penn (what a jerk) and Madonna.

I also served Mario Andretti at a massive table of Italians when the Historical Races were going on at Laguna Seca.

I didn't know it was him until he paid!
Now I know where you got all your money from!!
You saved all those tips and bought a house at 16!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enuO...&feature=share
Old 06-02-2020, 10:39 AM

Nitro. 45 ------------- Man, I was SO far from buying ANYTHING at 16! I mean ANYTHING. I only got to eat if I got fed, or stole food, at my jobs.

My entire total meager compensation equaled my rent almost to the dollar. At my pizza job I would weigh myself on the big scale. Every week I lost a little more weight.

I was starving out. Man, it sucked. Shoes were a problem too. The pizza work / walk home shoes were sneakers that I duct-taped repaired. But I taped them at a Snazzy Angle to make it appear intentional.

At my fancier gigs that wouldn't fly so I had to have dress shoes. They were un-returned tux shop rentals. But the prob was, that in addition to being oversized, they were literally plastic. So sweaty that I was getting a Trench Foot type rot going on.

You mentioned tips. YES! TIPS! Only once I got into a regularly-tipped position was I able to eat 3 meals daily, gaining my weight back, and actually buy real shoes.

I was so stoked! Funny that I still look back at those horrible days a little fondly.

Meanwhile, some of my friends (Kyle Eastwood's buddies) were going to Robert Louis Stevenson private school in Pebble Beach.

They would tell me about how I "had it made" by not having to do homework, chores, or get lectured by parents. Their lack of perspective was so teenage! I felt like a grizzled old man, at 16, in comparison.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
Okay... that was weird. A fancy concert hall with everyone in suits, and they've got a body hanging from a rope overhead.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
Okay... that was weird. A fancy concert hall with everyone in suits, and they've got a body hanging from a rope overhead. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/hrm.gif[/IMG]
It was a concert called The Morricone Duel where the music was from western movies and mafia movies showing an Italian-American style. Movies like For A Few Dollars More, Once Upon A Time In The West, The Godfather, A Fistful Of Dollars, etc...
Old 06-02-2020, 01:51 PM

Colt Carson --------- Great link. Man, those cats NAILED it! Well done. I dig the chick that does both the Waaa Waaaa portions AND the whistling segments as well. That's a cool party trick.

Thanks for that one.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Colt Carson --------- Great link. Man, those cats NAILED it! Well done. I dig the chick that does both the Waaa Waaaa portions AND the whistling segments as well. That's a cool party trick.

Thanks for that one.
https://youtu.be/c6Am_AzjDUg

OK, ya drug it outta me. This is about as far opposite as you can get.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:21 PM

I thought the spaghetti westerns were ok, but I really liked some of his non-western films. Even though he wasn't the star, Where Eagles Dare was a great action flick. The Eiger Sanction was a good thriller, and Kelly's Heroes is probably my favorite WWII movie. Anybody remember Pink Cadillac with Bernadette Peters? I bet Clint would rather not!
Old 06-02-2020, 04:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_rHrLHIeyI
Old 06-02-2020, 05:42 PM

squirrelsnest---------- The Blues Brothers did a mean Rawhide.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Truthfully,, all of Clints movies are really cheesy but I like em and they make you wish that “real life” was so easy. But his movies give you some time away.

My Buddy just bought a S&W model 29 (I think) all stainless, really nice gun!
If stainless, it would be a 629. If really a 29, but not blued, it's nickel plated.

His movies can be a bit cheesy, but that's one of the reasons I like them.

The modern flashy movies with 10 minute car chases and guns that never need a reload put me to sleep.

-
Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 AM
Administrator

The gunfights and displays of shooting skill in his movies were often very cheesy. There is a scene in A Few Dollars More where Clint outdraws an opponent and you can clearly see that he was aiming a mile away. Yet we're supposed to believe he was such a badass he could shoot people's hats off and split ropes in half at 200 yards.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:45 AM

I think that was just the way shooting was portrayed in those days. Go back a little further and you have Roy Rogers shooting guns out of peoples hands while shooting from the hip.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Oh, the inaccuracies are so obvious it's almost a game to spot them all. I also like the fact that they kept bringing the same actors back for each of the Dollars trilogy movies even though they were playing completely different people. They were also supposed to be part of the same storyline, and yet in the first two films everyone had Colt Single Actions and Winchesters while the last one (Good, Bad, Ugly) was set in 1862 during the Civil War with percussion revolvers altered to fire cartridges. Definitely some serious anachronisms going on!
Old 06-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Banned

My favorite inaccuracy in the Dollar series was the shooting of hats on mainstreet in For A Few Dollars More. Hat eventually falls just out of range so the bullets just drop in front of Lee Van Cleef's feet - because Eastwoods barrel was a couple of inches shorter, while Lee could shoot Eastwoods hat with impunity because he had the longer barrel on his revolver. You have to just love the absurdity in all that. Classic.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:11 PM

I have been boycotting movies for years. Meryl Streep’s rant at an awards show reinforced my desire to not sent my money to one of the biggest liberal blocks in my home state, California.
I do watch movies on TV, which I realize my satellite Bill helps to pay for.
As for Clint, the spaghetti westerns like A Fist Full Of Dollars, and A Few Dollars More aren’t that enjoyable. His later stuff, as Harry Callahan are much better.
Happy Birthday Clint, may you enjoy many, many in happiness and health.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 06-03-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofew1911s View Post
My favorite inaccuracy in the Dollar series was the shooting of hats on mainstreet in For A Few Dollars More. Hat eventually falls just out of range so the bullets just drop in front of Lee Van Cleef's feet - because Eastwoods barrel was a couple of inches shorter, while Lee could shoot Eastwoods hat with impunity because he had the longer barrel on his revolver. You have to just love the absurdity in all that. Classic.
Or a house collapsing due to a large number of bullet holes in "the Gauntlet".

Another classic scene.

-
Old 06-06-2020, 01:55 PM

Clint may not be avidly pro gun like I am and he may lean the other way a bit but he is one that I will give a pass to. I actually think he may have played a small part in raising my enthusiasm for gun ownership and trying to become a very good shooter. He may have led many others toward firearm ownership unintentionally.

I like most all of his westerns and military movies but I think “Unforgiven” has one of the best endings and it is probably my favorite next to “Outlaw Josie Wales”.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:03 PM

I saw him in "The Mule". Not sure it is his latest movie, but it is recent. Loved the song "Don't Let the Old Man In".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc5AWImplfE