No more guns in armored cars? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-29-2020, 10:31 AM

I was an Armed Driver Guard on an armored truck in the St. Louis/East St. Louis route in the early 1970's. It paid well, & driving was enjoyable for a Street Racer. We had to make 50+ stops a day - all over the area. Many of the messengers (the car captains) were Cop wanna-be's - that couldn't make the grade. My first day on the job my new messenger captain told me "I HOPE YOU TRY SOMETHING - THERES A $1500. REWARD DEAD OR ALIVE FOR ROBBERS". We had working GUN PORTS, & the Shotgun I used to stand guard over shipments outside downtown banks was kept in a visible gun rack on the bulkhead between the cab & cargo area. One day we lost a front wheel on the highway in St. Louis county, & completed the day in a taxi cab - I sat in the back with shotgun & the money. A couple of times in East St. Louis we were shot at (normal for east side). I eventually quit - The day my messenger took me to the Boss for "insubordination" - because I refused to do over 55 on the highway with bad steering kingpins & front end wobble - even though I promised to do 50+ on side streets to make up time. I wouldn't go back even though the company owner called & asked me to personally. The odds weren't looking good, & it was just a job between College & Grad School + my new bride didn't like it. Living dangerously in the old days.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:01 AM

crasig----------- I totally believe your tale of how shoddy your company was. Because we all know about the surprising amount of times cash bags have simply fallen out the back of these trucks.

It all comes down to profitability. Lax truck maintenance & inexperienced hires, just to save a few bucks.

Note that I'm understanding of the situation. Because if you don't go cheap on labor & machinery you will lose business to those that do.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
crasig----------- I totally believe your tale of how shoddy your company was. Because we all know about the surprising amount of times cash bags have simply fallen out the back of these trucks.

It all comes down to profitability. Lax truck maintenance & inexperienced hires, just to save a few bucks.

Note that I'm understanding of the situation. Because if you don't go cheap on labor & machinery you will lose business to those that do.
Worst of all for ME were SOME of the messengers I worked with. The one I had the most trouble with started off - when He told me to hit a puddle & splash an elderly black woman struggling home with grocery bags - I not only went way around the puddle - but bawled him out for even asking. Another instance of my insubordination. Working with Low-Lifes, & in bad company, are worse than other aggravations - not worth it - even when well paid.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:24 PM

Kind of going off topic a bit.

But I do not think that there is any one profession that has a lock on bone heads.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:59 PM

There is a little more to the McDonald's lawsuit though. At the time McDonald's kept their coffee at a very high temp, much higher than normal, because it kept the coffee "tasting" fresher longer. That way they could sell coffee that had been sitting around all day and get away with it. Temps were in the 180-190 degree range.

The spill actually caused damage to the tune of third degree burns and required medical care. She originally was just asking for $20K for medical costs and lost work. What caused it to go beyond that was McDonald's offered $800 and took a cavalier attitude.

Here is a link with the truth of that one. https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-30-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
There is a little more to the McDonald's lawsuit though. At the time McDonald's kept their coffee at a very high temp, much higher than normal, because it kept the coffee "tasting" fresher longer. That way they could sell coffee that had been sitting around all day and get away with it. Temps were in the 180-190 degree range.

The spill actually caused damage to the tune of third degree burns and required medical care. She originally was just asking for $20K for medical costs and lost work. What caused it to go beyond that was McDonald's offered $800 and took a cavalier attitude.

Here is a link with the truth of that one. https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts
Coffee is brewed at 195-205°F- this is the norm, the industry standard. Your Keurig machine puts out coffee at 192°.... hot coffee brewed cooler tastes horrid.

Sorry, $3m because you can't keep from spilled a cup of coffee in a stationary vehicle, at "standard" temperatures, is obscene.

FWIW, your "source" is a bunch of California ambulance chasing product liability attorneys- bottom feeders that make their living suing others....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams

Last edited by wccountryboy; 05-30-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electraclyde View Post
I drove an armored truck (not a Brinks) on a part time basis a few years back. The gun ports had been welded shut. That company did not want us to stand and fight, I was instructed to drive away, even if I had to leave the messenger behind. Bad guys were not after him or me, they would be after the contents of the truck. Always stop so that you had more than one way to exit. We did not have any long guns in the truck, only handguns.
I was left on the street when my driver left me. Stand and fight. Not fun times with two guys and knives. Luckily the business end of my weapon motivated them to drop the knife and yield to voice commands. Leaving a grocery store of all places.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman556 View Post
And have you seen the new gas cans?
I spill more gas now than I ever did before.

I have a 5 gallon filled with alcohol free gas for my two cycle mower, weed whacker, and chain saw.

Mix a gallon up at a time.
The new stupid spouts end up spilling more than I ever did with a
metal wrapped rubber spout.
The rubber actually finally dry rotted a few years ago.
I guess over 15 years is a pretty good lifetime.
My Lawn Boy mower is from the mid 1970s.
Aluminum deck, aluminum engine.

Extremely light and easy to push.

The air filter cover popped off the other day and was mowed in the high grass.

Used a tie wrap to secure the filter element in place over the intake.
Working rather well.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:06 PM

Speaking of liability.....I had a business law class once and the lawyer professor talked about potential liability regarding rendering assistance to injured people. This by the way was a number of years ago in Illinois.

He told us that we have no legal obligation to help someone who has been injured because of an auto accident or other type of occurrence.

However, he was very clear that once we rendered some form of aid to an injured person we could be liable. The injured person might decide to sue stating that their injury and/or overall condition was made worse because of the assistance given by the good samaritan.

This of course could present a moral dilemma to a number of folks. To help or not to help? Unfortunately today we're living in a sue happy society.

Just saw a news clip about a vehicle accident in Massachusetts where a car drove off the highway and crashed into some trees and caught on fire. A couple of good samaritans dragged the injured driver and passenger to safety and saved their lives. According to the news commentator, the driver fell asleep at the wheel.

Can't help but wonder if some shady lawyer would get ahold of the driver and passenger to try and sue the good people who helped them. The lawyer could try and convince them that their injuries were made worse by the help given to them.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:48 PM

The run I hated the most was the federal reserve. Those people were assholes.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facilitator View Post
Speaking of liability.....I had a business law class once and the lawyer professor talked about potential liability regarding rendering assistance to injured people. This by the way was a number of years ago in Illinois.

He told us that we have no legal obligation to help someone who has been injured because of an auto accident or other type of occurrence.

However, he was very clear that once we rendered some form of aid to an injured person we could be liable. The injured person might decide to sue stating that their injury and/or overall condition was made worse because of the assistance given by the good samaritan.

This of course could present a moral dilemma to a number of folks. To help or not to help? Unfortunately today we're living in a sue happy society.

Just saw a news clip about a vehicle accident in Massachusetts where a car drove off the highway and crashed into some trees and caught on fire. A couple of good samaritans dragged the injured driver and passenger to safety and saved their lives. According to the news commentator, the driver fell asleep at the wheel.

Can't help but wonder if some shady lawyer would get ahold of the driver and passenger to try and sue the good people who helped them. The lawyer could try and convince them that their injuries were made worse by the help given to them.
"Good Samaritan" laws offer protection in such cases- as long as the actions of the person rendering aid are "reasonable" and/or within the scope of documented training. Pulling someone from a burning car is "reasonable", heroic even. Applying medical aid, beyond very rudimentary protocols, without some documented, accredited training for the treatment applied, is opening the door to liability.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 05-30-2020, 10:45 PM

Yes, the Good Samaritan laws are great & make total sense.

Yet I would still attempt to save a life even without a law to protect me.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:44 PM

There's contradictory info online about Good Samaritan laws. One site says all fifty states have it & another site says six states do not.

Everyone here should check their own state for that. But here in CA we have it. So I can run into burning buildings, CPR babies, and rescue all the damsels in distress I want.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:08 AM

FYI, there are retrofit gas can nozzles available that will cure them and make them like the cans of old days.

The last ones I bought came from a small town NAPA franchise operated store.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrhead View Post
Gas can. Be sure to buy the filler hose that goes with it. Yeah, it costs forty bucks but in the long term it's worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fue...BB45KTQHHDNS00
Hilariously, here is what it says on the page for the Deluxe Filler Hose:
"Not to be used with gasoline or street-legal fuels"

I'm guessing that's a lawyer thing, so the company can say that people are not being encouraged to circumvent the idiotic design of the stock "safe" filler hoses.

I have an older 1-gallon can I use for my lawn mower. It is one of my most prized possessions.....
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.

Last edited by TominMO; 05-31-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
FYI, there are retrofit gas can nozzles available that will cure them and make them like the cans of old days.

The last ones I bought came from a small town NAPA franchise operated store.
One problem with gas cans is that every brand seems to have its own proprietary threading. I think the newer "safety" cans have different threading than the older ones, just so people could not retrofit the new cans.
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.

Last edited by TominMO; 05-31-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:14 AM

If you can’t stop a Police Department or Post Office from burning then why would you think armored cars would have rifle ports?
Old 05-31-2020, 12:38 PM

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Pour-Gas-C.../dp/B06WRRXG1X

This right here solves the gas can problem.

I have them on several cans.

I have yet to find one it would not fit.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:21 PM

BrokenGrunt ----------- I looked at your link.

Funny that it says "UPDATE you gas can"

No, it's the opposite of Updating. It's back-dating your gas can to the older kind that actually work.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:20 PM

My old man had a part time job driving a armored car, he put his 38 revolver once out the porthole and told the guy to move his car when he confronted him after beeping the horn. The old man said he had lots of money in the truck. He told me half the guns they gave him couldn’t shoot nor the guys with him couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. He quit.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 06-03-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
In those circumstances, were the other guys in the truck with you. If even then?
In the mid 60"s I had just left the NCO club when 5 philippanos with SMG's robbed it and shot the room up. They got away by going through the fence around the main gate. Guards were forbidden to shoot because they were nationals!
Old 06-03-2020, 07:40 PM

We are living in an age of surrender...a sad time for America. Employees who fight off people trying to rob a store being fired and the crooks out on zero bail in hours. Even Fox News is throwing the cops in the Floyd case under the bus...using terms like "murder" and racism when there is no evidence to support that. The think a good defense attorney will clean the prosecutions clock based on the politically motivated charges. My local pharmacy was hit, and a local to me 76 station...luckily my Shell station was left along. Lots of store owners boarding up their buildings and writing "We love you BLM" on the wood. For me as unthinkable as Jews wearing swastikas.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrhead View Post
Gas can. Be sure to buy the filler hose that goes with it. Yeah, it costs forty bucks but in the long term it's worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fue...BB45KTQHHDNS00
This one is more expensive, but it pumps the fuel while the can sits on the ground. It runs on 4 AA batteries. This was a great investment.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
At one point I owned the following but they may have all been lost now: Kimber Ultra CDP II, Para 14.45, Para LDA Officer, Para .45 Warthog, Sig Sauer Max Michel .40S&W, Colt Rail Gun, 80% (plus another 20%), LAR Grizzly Mark IV .44Mag, LAR Grizzly Mark V 50AE, Rock Island 9mm/.22TCM, ATI and some others that are not 1911 and not worth listing
Old 06-03-2020, 11:01 PM

Location: Where the Kaw meets the Mighty Mo (but I've been everywhere, Man)
I don't know about gunports on armored cars, but I have noticed that the fellows who carry the bags of money in and out, who used to have their guns unholstered and in their hands and whose heads were on a swivel, constantly scanning for threats, now have their smartphones in their hands and their eyes glued to the screen while carrying the bags of money.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45ACPFreak View Post
Good evening,

I have been a member of the forum since 2006. I have spent many hours increasing my knowledge of many topics near and dear to my heart. I have not been motivated to reply to any post until today. As someone who has spent some time in the industry, it is irresponsible of anyone to offer inside knowledge of what may or may not be in an armored car. The men and women charged with guarding those vehicles do not get paid enough to increase their risk by improper supossitions. I humbly request the moderators lock and delete this thread.

Thank you!
Ummmmm, no.....
The purpose of a forum is to enlighten those lacking knowledge. Please share the top secret inner workings of today’s vehicles. It would be pretty easy to Google it!