Springfield 1911 Lightweight Operator (PX9116LP) - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-30-2020, 09:04 AM

Springfield 1911 Lightweight Operator (PX9116LP)

I am looking at purchasing one of these and have a couple questions that I have searched and have not found the answers.
Is the barrel ramped, or is it a standard 1911 style barrel?
Is this model made in Brazil or the USA?
How well has the alloy frame held up?
Please feel free to add any other information or comments.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:52 AM

My Lightweight MixMaster A has an integral ramp barrel. I can't say about that gun.
Mine was made in Brazil but they say all is Made in USA now.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Vinnie View Post
I am looking at purchasing one of these and have a couple questions that I have searched and have not found the answers.
Is the barrel ramped, or is it a standard 1911 style barrel?
Is this model made in Brazil or the USA?
How well has the alloy frame held up?
Please feel free to add any other information or comments.

All of Springfield's 1911's are now made in Geneseo Illinois USA for
years now . The Brazil Imel connection is no more .
What caliber are you talking about ? if its 9mm its a ramped barrel
on a Springfield 1911 . For 45 it depends on the model . I would
call SA 1-800-680-6866

They are good pistols

All Springfield's have a lifetime guarantee . That said I've never seen
a frame wear out .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 04:04 PM

If it has an alloy frame it will have a ramped barrel.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toes22 View Post
If it has an alloy frame it will have a ramped barrel.

then their is nothing to worry about at all . The ramped barrel takes
are the abuse and the frame is saved .
Old 05-31-2020, 01:30 PM

My LW Champion is made in the USA, and I believe that all LW models have ramped barrels.

As for alloy frames, I had (what I consider to be) an irrational dislike for them until the LW Champion caught me eye, after which I took a look at the CZs, AR-15s, S&W revolvers in my safe - all with alloy/aluminum frames - and decided that if it works for all of them, it'll work just fine for the 1911 too.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:30 AM

6-1 Update:
I called SA with the serial number and the pistol was made in the USA in Illinois and the barrels are all ramped on the alloy frames, including the 45 ACP model I am looking at. I will post pictures when I come with her!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:40 PM

I bought a brand new LW Loaded Operator back in October, LOVE IT! Has ramped barrel and US made, like all SA's 1911's. The 2 pc guide rod kept loosening up, replaced with Wilson GI rod/plug, all better. Only other thing I had SA Factory do, was swap night sights for Fiber Optic front/black rear. This is my EDC gun now, wouldn't be without it.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:11 PM

Hi all, Pray tell, how good is the Springfield Armory Range Officer-Lightweight Champion 45ACP ? Any known issues ? I am in the market for a new CCW Pistol and I am looking for a smaller/lighter weight 1911. Is this model about as "good as it gets" in the Lightweight department for a 1911 ? The only other Lightweight 1911 I am presently considering is the Ruger SR1911 Commander model. Thank you for any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations.

Regards,
KAOS THE CAT
Old 06-09-2020, 09:13 PM

I had a Champ OP in .45. Nice piece

It was named The Mule because with Speer 230 ball, it kicked like a mule.

Sold it to buy something else.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:52 PM

Hi SW, "Kicked like a Mule" eh ? Hummmm, I mostly shoot 230 gr. Hardball. I suppose I should "rent/try" a Lightweight .45ACP at some Gun Range/Shop before I consider buying one. I'm use to shooting (many years) a Blue Steel Combat Commander. A six ounce lighter (Lightweight Alloy Frame) 1911 Pistol could make a big difference in felt recoil. Thanks for the response.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:04 PM

Federal 230 shoots softer than Speer.

I had an alloy frame DW Valkyrie Commander 9mm. It felt like Shooting a .22. Flat recoil and follow up shots were fast.

Nothing wrong with alloy .45, but if you plan to shoot a lot steel frame or 9mm might be a better choice.

Fast follow ups with that alloy .45 Champ was doable, but I was catching myself still high from recoil. I would get after myself and then clean it up on the next string.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:48 PM

Hello SW CQB 45,
Well Sir, due to my advancing age (and having developed a carry side Hip & Leg issue (no doubt to my having carried a Steel Combat Commander for the last twenty years) I decided it's high time to find a less heavy CCW Pistol. I had (not long ago) purchased a Walther PPS M2 9mm for consideration for my new CCW however, I quickly found out that (due to my XXL Hand size) that my Hand would (during recoil) engage the Mag release. Despite trying to reposition my Grip, I continued to experience Mag release issues (which of course made the Firearm inoperatable). After about the sixth or seventh time this happened, I decided the PPS would be a "NO go" for me as a CCW. So, I'm back to square one. I LOVE my 1911 but now, I need a lighter (perhaps a tad shorter OAL) 1911. Today, I visited a couple of Gun Shops and I checked out a couple of possibilities for an Alloy Frame 1911. One being the Springfield Armory Range Officer Champion and the other (the MUCH more expensive) Dan Wesson ECP. Both felt VERY nice in the Hand. It's amazing how much lighter the Alloy Frame feels (despite weighting about six ounces less than a Steel Commander). I am also considering the Ruger SR 1911 Lightweight Commander with it's 4.25" barrel (which is about a 1/4" longer than the Springfield Armory "Range Officer Champion"). I must confess that I also looked at a (single stack) GLOCK 43X 9mm (which is crazy light). The Glock G43X also feels very nice in my Hand however, I'm afraid that I might run into the same unintentional/inadvertent "Mag release" issue using (more or less same type configuration) type of Pistol as I experienced with the PPS. I have no such issue with James M. Browning's Masterpiece.

KAOS THE CAT
Old 06-10-2020, 06:00 PM

I still have pics of my Valkyrie Commander 9mm. This was a sweet shooter. Hardly any recoil and it carried "light".

I have 3X hands..... but never had an issue with any controls.

if recoil is an issue.... stick with 9mm. if carry weight is an issue, stick with alloy or poly.

I have no time behind a Ruger 1911 platform and I am not throwing rocks..... to me a Ruger should be a revolver, .22 cal Semi Auto, rifle or shotty.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:31 PM

Niiiice Valkyrie Commander 9mm you have there SW. Oooh, I seemed to have given you the wrong impression......I have no issue with recoil other than (speaking of the Walther PPS) during firing, "some" part of my Hand area come in contact with the Mag release button (which I believe it waaaay to easy to DIS-engage). In fact, I've read owner comments (other Gun Forums) that said the Mag has popped out even while (Apendix Carry) in Holster. The person said that he has no Body/Belly Fat and is slim built yet, still had this Mag issue. Today, I put the Walther up for "Consignment" at my LGS. Now, regarding my wanting a "Alloy frame" 1911......yes indeed, weight has become an issue for EDC. I just now have to research between the Springfield Armory and the Ruger. As much as I'd love to own a Dan Wesson, it's a bit more than I care to spend.

KAOS THE CAT
Old 06-10-2020, 07:01 PM

the only thing I did not like about my champion was that stupid recoil spring assembly that required the C clip tool to field strip.

I ordered a factory full length guide rod where a bent paper clip was needed. While not my fav, it was WAY better than the previous.

I prefer traditional spring plug take down methods. I also prefer a 4.25" traditional commander with a barrel bushing.

good luck on your decision
Old 06-10-2020, 07:20 PM

Thanks SW, I agree 100% with your comment : "I prefer traditional spring plug take down methods. I also prefer a 4.25" traditional commander with a barrel bushing." This is the exact reason I'm leaning towards the Ruger SR1911 as it is about as "non-frills" an "old school" Commander model one can find for the price.
Thanks for your help SW.

KAOS THE CAT
Old 06-10-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOS THE CAT View Post
Thanks SW, I agree 100% with your comment : "I prefer traditional spring plug take down methods. I also prefer a 4.25" traditional commander with a barrel bushing." This is the exact reason I'm leaning towards the Ruger SR1911 as it is about as "non-frills" an "old school" Commander model one can find for the price.
Thanks for your help SW.

KAOS THE CAT
anytime and good luck with you decision.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:41 AM

Unlike SW CQB , I really don't mind the C clip take down . You only use it when
cleaning it after all . He probably shoots his more , so he cleans it more . I only
shoot about 1000 rds a year threw mine now that I have my Combat Operator in
9mm . I carry mine .

Old 06-11-2020, 08:16 AM

I have a Lightweight Champion Operator in 45 ACP, and as described in this thread, it has a ramped barrel and was made in USA. The only thing I did was put a piece of "skateboard tape" on the front strap. Works great!

For take-down, I went with one of these "ultra tools" (www.1911ultratool.com) instead of the little plastic clip that came with the pistol. Works great! I had experience with this tool because I also have a Kimber Ultra, and without the "ultra tool" it is a true PITA to take down. With the tool, easy peasy!

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 06-11-2020, 08:17 AM

Duplicate post. Not sure what's going on, but the system is acting up.

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 06-11-2020, 04:47 PM

Hi all,

I checked out a Springfield Armory "Lightweight/Alloy frame" model yesterday. It was not the Range Officer Champion but a similar model (one with ambi. safety). Man, I can't get over how much "lighter feeling" a Alloy frame is vs. a Steel model. I liked it! I also handle the Dan Wesson ECP which appears to be a beautiful "Lightweight" .45 however, a bit too pricy. The S.A. is less than half the price. I put my (less than fifty rounds fired) Walther PPS M2 (along with a total of six Mags) and a new Custom "Tucker Leather" Holster (Tucker of Texas) on consignment with my LGS. I will apply the money from the sale of the PPS towards a new CCW. Which one is the question. Right now, I thinks it's between the Range Officer Champion Lightweight .45 and the Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander.

KAOS THE CAT
Old 06-11-2020, 09:38 PM

My EDC is an Officer Sized pistol on an alloy frame-sadly not Springfield-in fact I'd rather have one of their steel frames except for the carry weight. It bucks more than a steel frame does but the reduced mass works in both directions-after the grief I went through with this pistol I am not a Kimber fanboy-but it gets back on target in a hurry.

Which makes perfect sense regardless of the manufacturer-mass is mass and with the full size Commander grip there is likely better control of recoil and for follow up shots.

It's amazing how much weight is saved with an alloy frame and while they may not hold up long term for a competitor in serious practice plus shooting every weekend, for carry and practice towards proficiency with a carry weapon they excel!

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 06-11-2020 at 09:40 PM.