Powder for .45 ACP: Anything Stand Out for Accuracy? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-27-2020, 03:32 PM

I don't have nearly the experience or skill of JayhawkNavy and, for me its 4.0 gr of either Bullseye or N310 under a 200gr LSWC. For what I like to do, flip a coin, it won't make any difference.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:21 PM

Probably the most accurate loads I ever assembled were with Red Dot and a 200gr HC-SWC. I tried Red Dot because at the time , Bullseye and HP-38 were hard to find. Most folks don't like the large flat flakes with powder measures. Red Dot was #2 just behind Bullseye on the burn rate chart I had back then (80s). A bit smoky and dirty though.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
In my opinion, Clays is the most "dangerous" powder in that burn rate class. That's because it has the narrowest published range from min to max. Be very careful that your charge weights are ALL correct when using Clays.
Been shooting with Clays for many years. 4.1 grains with a 200gr SWC. Make sure it is Clays and not Universal Clays. They are not the same! Clays is a flake powder and does not meter well in small volumes. 45acp meters fine at this load. Check the Hodgdon website for reloading information.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
Old 05-27-2020, 07:25 PM

I use VV N310 with 200 grain H&G 68 swc. 4.2 or 4.5 gives virtually the same groups . Just depends on what I plan to use them for as to what powder charge I use.
OAL 1.250, Brass Starline , Primer Federal lg pistol match

Last edited by BLACKTAIL 8541; 05-27-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:11 PM

I've been shooting 5.2 grs. of Winchester 231 under 230 gr. FMJRN (not plated) bullets with mixed headstamp brass and WLP primers since back in the late 80's and it works well in every 5" 45 ACP 1911 I've fired it through.

NRA Range Safety Officer.

2B1Ask1.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:04 AM

So... I’ve really only reloaded for 45 Auto... and never really caring about “accuracy” because, well, I’m the weak link.

I know there are a lot of variables, but I just want to ignore everything but powder for the moment.

I’ve read that barrels have “sweet spots” as far as velocity is concerned; but let’s assume we find that sweet spot and somehow load the exact same charge (to the kernel) for every round.

If you could somehow get the same velocity from every round - then does the kind of powder matter?

Or is the problem that some powders aren’t consistent enough that the same charge produces the same velocity?
Old 05-28-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah Zero View Post
If you could somehow get the same velocity from every round - then does the kind of powder matter?

Or is the problem that some powders aren’t consistent enough that the same charge produces the same velocity?
There is an AMU article on this I posted. I’ll make it short, it’s not clear why at the same velocity some faster burning powders work better. You can google my posts where I threw it up. Bottom line, look at what gets the results you need and as clean/economical/available as you desire. For making extremely accurate pistol ammunition a chronometer doesn’t have as much contribution to super accurate ammo as the Ransom Rest does, other than to let you know how precise your ammunition is and to identify a velocity with a specific recipe that you want to later replicate with different lots of the same components. I don’t another and the guys who made those test targets don’t either. Put it back in the RR and go up or down a 1/10 and you’ll typically be ready to go with a new lot of primers or powders. Much faster than setting up a chronometer AND still having to use the RR anyway.
Distinguished Pistol #388

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 05-28-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:37 AM

Unique is my choice powder.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:44 AM

I've had pretty good luck with Titegroup but I haven't tried a lot, use to use Unique and although it works for just about everything it's not spectacular and any that I've found. Bullets make a world of difference and I like the 185gr HAPs, for 200gr SWCs I make my own. The old Wideners use to sell hard cast bullets that shot really well but I've tried a few different brands including Dardas and Missouri with less that spectacular results. I wouldn't have thought I could cast more accurate bullets then a factory but the old H&G and Saeco 68 yields some really good bullets.
My setup below isn't perfect, just clamped to a bench but that's another story. I don't use a crony for much except for checking for possible pressure problems or power factor.
Below is my favorite load, I was happy with it and still am but then there's the factory Federal Classic on the left that's not all bad.
This was shot from a WC government that I fit a Barsto barrel in, the right is 10 rounds with Federal brass and primers, 185gr HAPs @25yds.
Like I said, forgive the cheesy setup...
Attached Thumbnails
20160228_155916.jpg   Fed_45c.jpg  
Old 05-28-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
What kind of SD are you seeing for velocity with mixed brass??
I can't find my book so no actual figures but it was a lot, maybe 70 or 80 fps variation. Amazingly, they are plenty accurate to keep shots on the head from 20 yards, I did not shoot on the bench. I'm sure they would be terrible at 50 yards. I now use WST for blasting ammo and it is temperature sensitive. As the temp goes up, velocity goes down. Shot a state match when it was 100 F plus, they checked velocity and one of the 3 rounds was just under the min. other 2 just over so I was OK, I had about 50 fps to spare when I checked them earlier in the year. WST burns clean and meters well but there is the temperature thing to consider.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I've had pretty good luck with Titegroup but I haven't tried a lot, use to use Unique and although it works for just about everything it's not spectacular and any that I've found. Bullets make a world of difference and I like the 185gr HAPs, for 200gr SWCs I make my own. The old Wideners use to sell hard cast bullets that shot really well but I've tried a few different brands including Dardas and Missouri with less that spectacular results.
So let's talk about the 750 Missouri Bullets semiwadcuttters I ordered before you wrote this.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:49 PM

My vote is for 3.8 to 4.0 gr of Clays with a 200 gr SWC from Bayou.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:09 PM

I was itching to try one of the Hodgdon 'CLAYS' powder when they came out. One was highly regarded for .45 , but there were 3 IIRC. 'Clays' , 'International Clays , and another. I guess I bought the wrong one.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Pork View Post
So let's talk about the 750 Missouri Bullets semiwadcuttters I ordered before you wrote this.
Check the published hardness on those bullets. I had some that were 18bnh and had leading issues using w231. Played around with different charge weights and just ended up selling them.

I usually cast my own from wheel weights but free time has been in short supply so I ordered from missouri. Got some vacation time coming up so maybe I need to cast some more.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:10 PM

Bulls Eye for lead semi-wadcutter target loads.

Unique for ball equivalent loads or performance .45 ACP ammunition.

Both those do it for me in .45 ACP.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:55 AM

All a ransom rest does for me is let me know how bad I am without it.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
All a ransom rest does for me is let me know how bad I am without it.
But it would also highlight which ammo you shoot worse!
Old 05-30-2020, 12:36 PM

I've used bullseye,it's good been around forever,burns a little at dirty lighter. Clays makes some cream puff slow rounds 600-700,can be finicky burns fast and clean. tried tight group pretty finicky. settled on BE-86 not so much for accuracy but because it runs clean and I load 9 10 .40 and .45 acp for target practice and self defense.never looked back. good luck be safe.JJ
Old 05-30-2020, 01:15 PM

I'm on the Bullseye bandwagon
Been loading with it for 35 years
Old 05-30-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete10 View Post
I can't find my book so no actual figures but it was a lot, maybe 70 or 80 fps variation. Amazingly, they are plenty accurate to keep shots on the head from 20 yards, I did not shoot on the bench. I'm sure they would be terrible at 50 yards. I now use WST for blasting ammo and it is temperature sensitive. As the temp goes up, velocity goes down. Shot a state match when it was 100 F plus, they checked velocity and one of the 3 rounds was just under the min. other 2 just over so I was OK, I had about 50 fps to spare when I checked them earlier in the year. WST burns clean and meters well but there is the temperature thing to consider.
Interesting. I wonder if that's due to variation in wall thickness in the mixed cases, and as a result, case volume is all over the map.

Good stuff. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:55 PM

I like W231 with Starline brass, CCI primers and 230 grain home cast SWC's but I'm not a target shooter.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Interesting. I wonder if that's due to variation in wall thickness in the mixed cases, and as a result, case volume is all over the map.

Good stuff. Thanks.
That's my guess, I know I have some Rem brass that's thinner than others.
If you have a chrono, test it some time.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
Unique.

And unless your 1911 is junk, it will outshoot you.
Less than well fitted barrel bushings are often the problem.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:15 PM

Clean Shot Powder by shooters world

https://shootersworldpowder.com/

My bullets are by Acme Bullets

http://www.acmebullet.com/

I load 5 grains with Winchester brass and CCI Large Pistol Primers with either a 200 SWC-NLG or a 230 RN-NLG Both shoot to 2 inches at 25 yards maybe a little better if I am having a really good day.

The Average Velocity for 5 shots is 850 FPS with the 230 Grain and 890 FPS with the 200 Grain.

Average Deviation is 11 FPS

The powder is among the cleanest burning power I have ever used.

The loads listed here are at the top of the load chart and I have worked up to them. If you want to try this load start with 4.2 grains and work up from there. 4.2 grains with give about 790 FPS with the 230 grain and 840 with the 200 grain

These velocities are out of a 5 inch government model 1911.

Last edited by ToddRvs; 05-31-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:40 PM

I decided to try Vihtavuori N320. I guess I have a number of powders to try.