Tank round vs gun safes - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-19-2020, 04:34 PM

As for the video.... 'Meh!', that kind of stuff is just goofy. But, my takeaway is: Imagine how demoralizing it would've been for American tankers going up against German armor? Four inch frontal armor on a Tiger!!! Reckon a German 88mm projectile would've made mincemeat out of all 10 safes?
Old 05-19-2020, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

The so called fire proofing materials inside the safes were sheetrocks.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:41 PM

Good God. I think this video is a worse display of gratuitous waste than the guy that shot up all those precious toilet rolls!

Shooting up old wrecked car... I'm all for it. But that's a lot of good usable safes being wasted for naught. I sure would like one... undamaged of course.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Good God. I think this video is a worse display of gratuitous waste than the guy that shot up all those precious toilet rolls!

Shooting up old wrecked car... I'm all for it. But that's a lot of good usable safes being wasted for naught. I sure would like one... undamaged of course.
Liberty supplied those safes for the video. I'm hoping they were all rejected/recalled ones. To waste a bunch of safes like that is really dumb, but then again I get upset when I see car companies donate brand-new vehicles to movie studios just so they can crush them or blow them up.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:25 PM

Makes me wonder what people would think in third world countries if they saw video of us shooting food with handguns.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:29 PM

If I had all those safes I'd keep one & sell the rest.

Not for one second would I consider destroying them. No way.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:55 PM

They would have never let them have good safes. Those safes were all defective somehow. My first thought is they may have used that horrid defective Chinese made sheetrock that ruined thousands of homes in Florida. After a hurricane there was a building binge in Florida but the sheetrock wound up being bad and they had to tear it all out and replace it. Now with the safes you can't do that of course. That sheetrock Chinese crap would corrode the guns inside in short order.
ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_drywall
Old 05-19-2020, 09:09 PM

Dudes a little over animated but delivers some great content. Did you see the one with all the hi-points? Hilarious
Old 05-19-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
If I had all those safes I'd keep one & sell the rest.

Not for one second would I consider destroying them. No way.
Except for the fact that he's popular enough that he'll make a ton of money off that video. It's been less than a week and it already has several million views.

But I agree with you, it sucks as I would been extremely happy to take one of those off his hands.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
As for the video.... 'Meh!', that kind of stuff is just goofy. But, my takeaway is: Imagine how demoralizing it would've been for American tankers going up against German armor? Four inch frontal armor on a Tiger!!! Reckon a German 88mm projectile would've made mincemeat out of all 10 safes?
Well Shermans were known for going up in flames.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
Makes me wonder what people would think in third world countries if they saw video of us shooting food with handguns.
People in Third World countries have long admired our capacity to waste things. We throw away working TVs and appliances simply because a new model just came out. We often have two cars per owner. We throw out fruit that has a few spots on it. Acres and acres of plastic and cardboard containers get thrown in the trash... all while people in some countries try to collect it just so they can sell it for the equivalent of a dollar and hopefully pay for a meal with it. And yet when gas jumps up to $4 a gallon we're the ones freaking out like the world is coming to an end.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
People in Third World countries have long admired our capacity to waste things. We throw away working TVs and appliances simply because a new model just came out. We often have two cars per owner. We throw out fruit that has a few spots on it. Acres and acres of plastic and cardboard containers get thrown in the trash... all while people in some countries try to collect it just so they can sell it for the equivalent of a dollar and hopefully pay for a meal with it. And yet when gas jumps up to $4 a gallon we're the ones freaking out like the world is coming to an end.
Something I saw online... not so long ago in this country, someone born in America in 1900 by the time they were in their forties had seen two world wars, the great depression, the spanish flu of 1918, the prairie dust bowl.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:03 AM

Very entertaining thanks. In the same vein I watched a video last night of a mini gun VS a safe. Love that sound.

https://youtu.be/GxxOVefgLaY
Old 05-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Screw shooting a Sherman from an outside lanyard. That would have been too embarrassing for me.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
Very entertaining thanks. In the same vein I watched a video last night of a mini gun VS a safe. Love that sound.

https://youtu.be/GxxOVefgLaY
If you like that, then you'll want to see how the Black Rifle Coffee guys mounted a Vulcan on a Prius. The 20-minute version is here. The short version is here.

Last edited by borderboss1; 05-20-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:42 AM

A Vulcan on a Prius = Ballot for Trump submitted by Pelosi
Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
So I take it you guys didn't notice the tank projectile spinning on the ground?
That was the best part of the video. That was a 1 in a million shot.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
Except for the fact that he's popular enough that he'll make a ton of money off that video. It's been less than a week and it already has several million views.

But I agree with you, it sucks as I would been extremely happy to take one of those off his hands.
YouTube demonitized every channel that is gun related. This was done a while ago. So while kids are still getting rich off video game videos I donít think people like this are still making any money off their videos.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/05/15/youtube/

Not sure which ones or what but the policy affected many youtubers.
COTEP#782
Old 05-20-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Liberty supplied those safes for the video. I'm hoping they were all rejected/recalled ones...
No doubt they supplied them, but I think the free-advertising they expected to get sort of backfired. The first safe in front that took the brunt of the projectile was shredded. Did Liberty Corp think the shells were going to bounce off and the safe remain intact with just a ding or two? I think instead it showed that the safes are constructed of flimsy light gauge sheet metal.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Reckon a German 88mm projectile would've made mincemeat out of all 10 safes?
It's been more than 40 years ago so I think I'm safe relating this story. At the time this was classified Top Secret.

One day my entire AOB class was brought into a secure building at Ft Knox and shown a super slow motion, black and white movie of a 105mm sabot projectile entering the front slope of a T-62, passing through the stowed main gun ammo, penetrating completely through the engine, and exiting the rear of the vehicle as the internal ammo was exploding and the fuel was igniting. We also watched another movie showing a sabot round entering the side of the hull of another T-62 just below the turret and passing completely through that tank and the other three T-62s lined up side by side next to it.

HE and HEAT rounds were fine but we loved Sabot rounds. Muzzle velocity was nearly 5,000fps. Can you say flat shooting? Hitting targets at and beyond 3,000 meters with these was common. I guarantee these rounds would have gone through all of these safes with ease.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
No doubt they supplied them, but I think the free-advertising they expected to get sort of backfired. The first safe in front that took the brunt of the projectile was shredded. Did Liberty Corp think the shells were going to bounce off and the safe remain intact with just a ding or two? I think instead it showed that the safes are constructed of flimsy light gauge sheet metal.
I donít think anyone,who knows anything about kinetic energy, expected the safes to remain intact. Liberty Safes is gonna get publicity from the stunt, all publicity is better than no publicity
Old 05-20-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
So I take it you guys didn't notice the tank projectile spinning on the ground?
Got a kick out of that one.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-20-2020, 01:53 PM

Didnít watch but Iím assuming liberty safes?? Have to respect that company as they actually put their safes through things like this testing them. Probably why they are some of the best in the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk