170mm mags vs shorties - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-09-2020, 10:21 AM

170mm mags vs shorties

Im moving to open from Carry optic and I need a few mags. Is there any reason besides weight that I should buy shorter ones? Does anyone use different mags for classifiers? I had enough mags for the glock to run the entire match without reloading but MBX mags are a little more expensive. Im running a Limcat with a PT Evo grip.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:27 PM
More Cowbell...

If it will save you a reload or trying to figure out where to do a reload, they are awesome.

They can be finicky when you try to cram in 29-30 rounds. Roll sized brass makes things easier.

Short mags are a little easier/faster for me to reload with. And I dont like dropping my 170s on the ground if I dont have to.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:01 PM

I don't shoot open, but the 155 mags seem a nice compromise for open when you don't need a big stick.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 06:20 AM

STI 170mm mags....

I have and use three STI 170mm mags in the USPSA Open division using 9mm Major loads. I use the STI standard base pads, but replaced the standard polymer mag follower with "Gram" followers, and can load 29 rounds in the mag.

In USPSA, I believe any stage design should only need 32 rounds or less to get all the required hits.....more if the shooter has a lot of total misses...!

If I have a stage design that requires 26-27 shots, I will start with a 170mm mag, and carry a spare 170mm mag. If I have a stage design with 32 required shots, my 170mm mags with the Gram follower holds 29+1 rounds of 9mm Major ammo, so I will be forced to conduct a reload during the COF. If I have to make a reload, I may use three 140mm mags with deep base pads, that allow 21 rounds of 9mm Major ammo. I start with one 140mm mag, and have two spare 140 mm mags in my double mag pouch..... If it is an unusual stage design with a high round count, I will decide where I want to conduct a reload, and determine the best magazines to use.....

I also use my STI 2011 Open race gun for shooting Action Steel matches at my local range. There is no rule on magazine length, so I cut down an old STI 2011 mag roughly three inches from the base of the tube and welded the extra three inch tube to a STI 2011 170mm mag. The welds are below the bottom of the grip/frame, so it does not interfere when inserting the mag in the gun. This unique magazine, with a deep base pad holds 35+1 rounds. If I feel the number of rounds and the stage design warrants the long extended 35 round mag, I will use it. Not having to reload may save a second or a second and a half.....so I have an option!

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 05-10-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:32 AM

Shorter ones are a little easier to reload on the clock, especially important for classifiers. Some people don't like to drop their big ones either because they are expensive and require tuning, so they base their stage plans around that.