CED 7000 Shot Timer - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-05-2020, 09:38 AM

CED 7000 Shot Timer

Likes? Dislikes? Will it work if I am dry firing a 1911?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2020, 11:18 AM

Have one and like it. I love that it stores previous strings. It won't hear your gun click during dryfire but that's not necessary. Use the par time feature.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
...... It won't hear your gun click during dryfire but that's not necessary..........
Grrrrrrrrrrrr...........

I have one on order (currently in the mail) and that's the reason I bought it (to pick up dry fires). I guess the gun type matters. I have an iPhone app I've been using (with limited success) and it wont pick up dry fires WITH a snap cap but it will without one (Glock 17), but only if the phone is right next to the gun.

Hoping for more success with the CED7000
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2020, 02:26 PM

That's really not how anyone uses dryfire drills to improve. At least not any of the GMs, Pros or Instructors I know.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:50 PM
More Cowbell...

I have one and it is a solid timer.

I also have a second that we use at some of our matches.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
That's really not how anyone uses dryfire drills to improve. At least not any of the GMs, Pros or Instructors I know.
I'll just start shooting up the apartment then with my private range down the hallway.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:07 PM

I mean they use the timer with the par time function, but they don't try to have the timer hear their dryfire "shots"
Old 05-06-2020, 02:19 AM

You could try yelling “bang” as loud as you can with each dry fire! 😉
Old 05-06-2020, 07:59 AM

I have one....Its just ok. The non replaceable battery and the cumbersome control operation being just a couple reasons.

I have used most of them and the CE Pocket Pro II is my favorite by a big margin.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:34 AM

I bought one for its memory but its fiddly operation hurts its utility.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:56 PM

I finally got mine in my hands.

I would say I can't use it for DryFire (not the end of the world).

Now, I could get it to register DryFire, but I had to put Velcro on the back of it, and then I could attach it to my support wrist with an athletic wrist support. Even then, It only will work this way with hammer fired semi autos (1911 and P38).

Probably something here no one cares about. There is an air soft model that might work for me this way, but then it would be useless at the range.

That all said, I have been working on my low ready first shot position timing for Glock Matches. My first revelation is if after I raise the gun from the low ready, if I have to look for the sight because I was slightly off with my wrist I lose anywhere from 0.3 to 0.5 seconds.

Multiply that out the duration of the entire match course of fire that's as much as 6 full seconds at the end of the day. All that, and I haven't even worked on shooting faster or transitioning faster for follow up shots faster.

I'm really excited about how I can potentially use a timer to improve myself.

Funny, we spend so much money on things to give us an edge, and this along with my prescription glasses are the most cost effective way to actually improve accuracy and time on target and the cost is allocated across all platforms.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45collector View Post
You could try yelling “bang” as loud as you can with each dry fire! 😉
Literally LOL'd
Old 06-12-2020, 12:45 AM

Use par time function and random start for practice dry fire.

Keep squeezing the time downward.

Youll know if you got the shot off before the second beep.

Just be honest with yourself.

NRA Life Member, Washington Arms Collectors Member, TR&RC Member, GOA Member, IDPA A457315, USPSA A91246. USPSA CRO
Old 06-12-2020, 05:33 AM

Shot timers.....

IMHO, a good shot timer is essential to help improve action shooting skills...the CED and Pact Timers are two of the best that I have seen and used.

I have a CED 6000, which uses AA batteries, and have used this for well over 30 years for action shooting practice, and it still works great! If I am not going to shoot for a while, I will simply remove the batteries.....no matter what a battery company states, any small AA battery can "leak acid" and ruin a shot timer......
Old 06-12-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
IMHO, a good shot timer is essential to help improve action shooting skills...the CED and Pact Timers are two of the best that I have seen and used.

I have a CED 6000, which uses AA batteries, and have used this for well over 30 years for action shooting practice, and it still works great! If I am not going to shoot for a while, I will simply remove the batteries.....no matter what a battery company states, any small AA battery can "leak acid" and ruin a shot timer......
Alkaline batteries are notorious for leaking. Any of my lights, sights, Kestrel, rangefinders etc get AA or AAA Lithium batteries. Lithium don't leak.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:24 AM

batteries and shot timers....

Quote:
Lithium don't leak.
I am not a battery expert, but I have heard and read articles that lithium ion batteries have the potential to leak....and have caused fires in lap tops, hover boards, etc.

Here is the link to an article I read:

https://www.large.net/news/89u43p1.html

I always remove the batteries in my shot timer and chronograph if I don't plan to use them for several months or more. I only use my chronograph, which uses a 9 volt battery, about once or twice a year..... Now that I am retired, I use my shot timer frequently every week, and do not always feel the need to remove the batteries.....I just checked my CED 6000 shot timer, and it uses a 9 Volt battery also and not AA batteries....no sign of leakage....but it is always a good idea to check every now and then.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 06-15-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I am not a battery expert, but I have heard and read articles that lithium ion batteries have the potential to leak....and have caused fires in lap tops, hover boards, etc.

Here is the link to an article I read:

https://www.large.net/news/89u43p1.html

I always remove the batteries in my shot timer and chronograph if I don't plan to use them for several months or more. I only use my chronograph, which uses a 9 volt battery, about once or twice a year..... Now that I am retired, I use my shot timer frequently every week, and do not always feel the need to remove the batteries.....I just checked my CED 6000 shot timer, and it uses a 9 Volt battery also and not AA batteries....no sign of leakage....but it is always a good idea to check every now and then.....
Very poorly written article.

I can only go by what the manufacturers claim on their batteries and my experience. I have had many leaky alkaline batteries ruin stuff. I have been using Lithium AA and AAA since they came on the market. Never had one leak or ever experienced one get hot, let alone catch fire when handled correctly. And from what I have seen an Alkaline battery can catch fire too. Proper handling and storage is the key to safely using any battery.

Laptops and hover boards use completely different architecture in their rechargeable batteries, and can get hot and have a habit of a runaway heat buildup resulting in a fire. Not at all the same as a disposable AA or AAA battery.

Last edited by M-Peltier; 06-15-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:37 AM

I have one I've used for years. I like the controls and the big screen. I would rather have batteries I can replace at the range. I dislike the optional belt clip. I've considered replacing it with a Pocket Pro and probably will at some point this year.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO