Milt Sparks question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-02-2020, 12:13 PM

Milt Sparks question

I will say upfront this is not to start a fight. I read that these holsters are the best carry holsters out there. What I never hear is the why. Is it a unique part of the design that hasnít been reproduced? Is it a superior material? Is it just the cache of an expensive item to match up with an expensive gun. Iím looking for a 1911 carry holster and just need the skinny on these. I know there are copies but obviously many think these are a cut above. Thanks
Old 05-02-2020, 12:47 PM

no fight needed

Best is not the right word... top tier would probably be more accurate since there are a number of top quality makers.

To Sparks specifically- they have some great designs and many holsters look like exact copies but few are... MS holsters are well designed, and well executed. Some of the details you can't see do things like pull grips in tight, fight rollover, etc. Quality materials, yes to that too. They wear well (many years) which not all leather holsters can do if they are actually worn much. And then if you ever decide to get rid of them, you can sell for most of the original price. Very few do that.

For some people a lesser holster fits their needs. For some, whether by need or want, the Milt Sparks [or similar top tier] holsters are the better choice.

One size [or type] does not fit all, especially in holsters.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

As flechero stated, there are many very good holster makers offering their products these days, and every brand will have their own fan base, and for good reason. Most of them are offering their own "interpretation" of the basic design, such as OWB paddle or IWB paddle with their own variations of execution. Many of them are using top quality materials as well. For many of them that are executing on that level, their prices are going to be competitive; you don't get something for nothing. The devil is always in the details of execution, from materials to minor design variations.

An example is the leather used. If it is to be durable and functional, the stiffness, thickness, and resilience of the leather has to be considered, as well as any sealing of the leather pores to resist sweat and body salts for many years. Another example would be (for the paddle style holsters) how much paddle is there to stabilize the holster during drawing and re-holstering, as well as whether the mouth is reinforced (mostly on IWB) to keep the holster open until the pistol is re-holstered. Also, does the holster use fast open/close loops, and how stabile and durable those are, and how many/where on the holster they are located; or does the belt thread through closed loops that are permanent and not open/close type design.

Many things to consider, but the designs themselves have evolved over time, and most of the ones that are popular now (as far as leather goes) are time-proven designs, and many of the top tier makers know this and offer their rendition of those basic designs.

Milt Sparks started his business 51 years ago, when no one carried except police officers and competition folks. My, how times have changed in that regard, and driven the updates and upgrades of the details of the basic designs. What we have now is a truly "golden era" of both leather and Kydex offerings based on those from many makers. Milt Sparks is now owned and operated by Nick Harvey and Jim Wall - I have met and shared range time with both of them, and like all the good makers they take pride in what they ship out the door. Almost all of my holsters that I use now are the Milt Sparks, as some of the earlier ones from others did not keep their stiffness and resiliency over time and are therefor no longer viable. I use my Sparks holsters, a lot, and they hold up to field/training/carry conditions with stellar performance maintained.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
As flechero stated, there are many very good holster makers offering their products these days, and every brand will have their own fan base, and for good reason. Most of them are offering their own "interpretation" of the basic design, such as OWB paddle or IWB paddle with their own variations of execution. Many of them are using top quality materials as well. For many of them that are executing on that level, their prices are going to be competitive; you don't get something for nothing. The devil is always in the details of execution, from materials to minor design variations.

An example is the leather used. If it is to be durable and functional, the stiffness, thickness, and resilience of the leather has to be considered, as well as any sealing of the leather pores to resist sweat and body salts for many years. Another example would be (for the paddle style holsters) how much paddle is there to stabilize the holster during drawing and re-holstering, as well as whether the mouth is reinforced (mostly on IWB) to keep the holster open until the pistol is re-holstered. Also, does the holster use fast open/close loops, and how stabile and durable those are, and how many/where on the holster they are located; or does the belt thread through closed loops that are permanent and not open/close type design.

Many things to consider, but the designs themselves have evolved over time, and most of the ones that are popular now (as far as leather goes) are time-proven designs, and many of the top tier makers know this and offer their rendition of those basic designs.

Milt Sparks started his business 51 years ago, when no one carried except police officers and competition folks. My, how times have changed in that regard, and driven the updates and upgrades of the details of the basic designs. What we have now is a truly "golden era" of both leather and Kydex offerings based on those from many makers. Milt Sparks is now owned and operated by Nick Harvey and Jim Wall - I have met and shared range time with both of them, and like all the good makers they take pride in what they ship out the door. Almost all of my holsters that I use now are the Milt Sparks, as some of the earlier ones from others did not keep their stiffness and resiliency over time and are therefor no longer viable. I use my Sparks holsters, a lot, and they hold up to field/training/carry conditions with stellar performance maintained.
Also consider that many of the highly regarded Milt Sparks models started as copies of Bruce Nelsons, produced with Bruce Nelson's approval.
I'm ordering a Milt Sparks when I add a 1911 to my CCW later this year.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye1 View Post
I will say upfront this is not to start a fight. I read that these holsters are the best carry holsters out there. What I never hear is the why. Is it a unique part of the design that hasnít been reproduced? Is it a superior material? Is it just the cache of an expensive item to match up with an expensive gun. Iím looking for a 1911 carry holster and just need the skinny on these. I know there are copies but obviously many think these are a cut above. Thanks
The best is what's best for you, including affordability, longevity(quality), comfort and conceal ability.
Like they guy who spinned plates on the old Ed Sullivan Shew.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I will say upfront this is not to start a fight. I read that these holsters are the best carry holsters out there. What I never hear is the why. Is it a unique part of the design that hasn’t been reproduced? Is it a superior material? Is it just the cache of an expensive item to match up with an expensive gun. I’m looking for a 1911 carry holster and just need the skinny on these. I know there are copies but obviously many think these are a cut above. Thanks
They are not the best, but they are the best I have found for my purposes. They are a top tier maker. Their products are durable, comfortable, look good, and well designed and tested. I buy a lot of their gear; my last order was over a grand.*

I have seen my share of mistakes from them. One of my recent acquisitions doesn't fit the gun at all. But, like any other great company, they'll make it right. Additionally, they are willing to make minor changes in design to accommodate my particular preferences. In this case, the IPS tends to sit too high. I need this particular mag to sit very low because it is a long stick mag. The IPS that arrived had extended sweat shields and the mag printed. I am sending a mag and the IPS to them to make it sit low.

Their Criterion is my favorite holster. The design is wonderful and it's an excellent system when you get the snap loops. I've tried the magnets for about 5 years and dislike them now that jeans are made from softer materials. The magnets release as the material gives and the belt flexes. It's just one of those things: you need to know your gear and order it accordingly.

I am badgering them to start making Versa Max 2's that can hold a gun with Surefire XC1 or Olight PL Minis.

Overall, I really like Milt Sparks holsters. The designs are good and can be slightly adapted. Their price is higher than that of most kydex, but less than the high end makers if you use cow or horse hide.

* I have no affiliation with Milt Sparks company.

Last edited by tomrkba; 05-02-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:03 PM

Like guns there are holsters out there for everyone. From cheaply made and inexpensive to very high quality and expensive. I’ve been carrying everyday for over 40 years and have found for me, no one makes a better holster than Milt Sparks. Extremely well designed, made with very high quality leather and exceptional craftsmanship. They hold the weapon very securely and are extremely comfortable.

I have never been disappointed with a purchase and have holsters that have been used a lot and are still almost like brand new. They wear like no other holster that I have ever used.

There are other top tier holster makers but for me, Milt Sparks has checked all the boxes and I feel no need to look anywhere else. Like grandpa mentioned above, I too have been to the shop and met quite a few of the craftsman and was also lucky enough to shoot with them. They’re just all really good people that I am lucky to call friends.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-02-2020, 04:07 PM

Milt Sparks holsters are, to me THE top tier leather maker. They innovate and others follow. Back in 1992 I got my first MS products at the pro shop at Gunsite. Very soon after that Tony Kanaley released the VM II IWB model. It was innovative, incorporating offset wings for the snaps to lessen the width of the rig as well as increase its’ stability.

The product took off like a rocket. Speculators were buying them up and selling them with no problem at usurious prices on EBay. This was a first in the gun leather industry. Before you knew it there were many holster makers producing their attempts at the design, but none were as well executed.

The same thing happened when the Criterion was released. Again, the wait times increased and other companies rushed to copy the design. I still have those first MS products from 1992 and they are still serviceable 28 years later. I wish that I had held up as well as they.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:58 PM

Here is my Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 setup for appendix carry:

Old 05-02-2020, 05:02 PM

This was from Milt Sparks' Facebook page. One of their customers sent them this.

Last edited by tomrkba; 05-02-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Cool story tomrkba. It is always good to see things that last and provide long and dependable service to the owner.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-02-2020, 10:09 PM

I’m a Milt Sparks fanboy and unapologetic about it.

The thing about Milt Sparks is that they make functional holsters first and aesthetics second. Sure you’d see exotic hides accent options from them but they try to keep things basic: a well crafted hunk of cow or horse hide.

They’re innovators and not copiers. They just don’t whip out a design just because it looks cool. Their designs get tested by their own staff, gun carrying professionals and selected friends, feedbacks taken, adjustments made and then released for public consumption.

They will make minor modifications that don’t jeopardize the function of the holster. They will refuse the customer’s dumb requests to modify their holsters into doing something other than the basic design.

Their staff packing irons daily. These holsters are decades old and still in working conditions.

They work apprenticeship style. Newbies get to do simple items then graduate up to certain types of holsters. Some craftsmen only do certain styles of holsters because that’s what they did best although any of the senior craftsmen can do any of the holsters.

The current shop owner can look at a holster from the front and know which craftsman did it.

When you place an order, you talk to a person on the phone. If you don’t know which holster is best for you and your gun, one of the senior craftsmen will advise you based on your needs and your gun type. They will explain why some of their holsters aren’t best for certain guns.

The amazing thing is that the holsters don’t even cost that much if you keep to cowhide and don’t specify any pimp trims. They don’t use plastic blue guns as templates but aluminum guns. Hell, if you want, you can send in your own gun for a true custom fit.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:19 PM

I have way too many Milt Sparks holsters. 95% of them are still in plastic bags just because I bought them for the heck of it. However there are a few that I do use often. One of them is the Executive Companion for my Gunsite Service Pistol. I think I got that holster back in 2011. Just a hair shy of a decade’s worth of wear. It’s nice and broken in like a pair of old undies, except that unlike old undies, Milt Sparks holsters don’t get holed or lose their retention.

PS. That flimsy belt is not MS belt. It was handy for a quick photo.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:32 AM

If you've been on forums for a while and read much about holsters, one thing you'll notice about Milt Sparks products, is while the lead times may be somewhat long, the promised delivery times are almost always met, often exactly.

The holster business, and the custom pistol business, is full of very talented and artistic folks. However, not all of them are good business people. The folks at Sparks seem to have done a good job of being good at both.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:21 AM

Thanks for all the information. Now I know what makes them special.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Iím a Milt Sparks fanboy and unapologetic about it.

The thing about Milt Sparks is that they make functional holsters first and aesthetics second. Sure youíd see exotic hides accent options from them but they try to keep things basic: a well crafted hunk of cow or horse hide.

Theyíre innovators and not copiers. They just donít whip out a design just because it looks cool. Their designs get tested by their own staff, gun carrying professionals and selected friends, feedbacks taken, adjustments made and then released for public consumption.

They will make minor modifications that donít jeopardize the function of the holster. They will refuse the customerís dumb requests to modify their holsters into doing something other than the basic design.

Their staff packing irons daily. These holsters are decades old and still in working conditions.

They work apprenticeship style. Newbies get to do simple items then graduate up to certain types of holsters. Some craftsmen only do certain styles of holsters because thatís what they did best although any of the senior craftsmen can do any of the holsters.

The current shop owner can look at a holster from the front and know which craftsman did it.

When you place an order, you talk to a person on the phone. If you donít know which holster is best for you and your gun, one of the senior craftsmen will advise you based on your needs and your gun type. They will explain why some of their holsters arenít best for certain guns.

The amazing thing is that the holsters donít even cost that much if you keep to cowhide and donít specify any pimp trims. They donít use plastic blue guns as templates but aluminum guns. Hell, if you want, you can send in your own gun for a true custom fit.

This right here said everything that I wanted to say. Iím a huge Milt Sparks fan. Not only of their product but of their top tier customer service.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I have way too many Milt Sparks holsters. 95% of them are still in plastic bags just because I bought them for the heck of it. However there are a few that I do use often. One of them is the Executive Companion for my Gunsite Service Pistol. I think I got that holster back in 2011. Just a hair shy of a decadeís worth of wear. Itís nice and broken in like a pair of old undies, except that unlike old undies, Milt Sparks holsters donít get holed or lose their retention.

PS. That flimsy belt is not MS belt. It was handy for a quick photo.

Tell us about the pistol. Was that built at the Gunsite smithy?
Old 05-03-2020, 08:10 PM

Some excellent points made in this thread.

Milt Sparks makes very high quality products that have served me well over the years.

I'm not a wealthy man, however, I'll save a bit longer in order to fund quality carry guns and quality holsters.

I've found that in the long run, Milt Sparks makes the most sense financially, too.....at least for me. I've wasted money on lesser quality, looser fitting, stuff that had stitching fail....or the hybrid holsters cobbled together with screws that loosen and fall out. The el cheapo Fobus riveted garbage that tore at one of the rivets was a lot of fun, too. What I spent on the junk holsters added up to where I could have paid for a SS2, VM2 or Criterion....that would have been much more comfortable and lasted much, much longer.

There are some really sweet holsters out there made by true craftsmen....Exodus, 5-Shot, etc. Sparks aren't the only ones, however, when someone tells me they have a new gun and want to carry IWB and are asking for advice.....I steer them immediately to the SS2 or VM2 which can often be found on the Sparks site ready to ship.

Simply can't go wrong with Milt Sparks.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:54 AM

Iíve used the Criterion the majority of the time that last 4 years. I have one for each pistol I might carry but this one with the ULCC has gotten the most use.

I also have a couple others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pray for our Soldiers as you pass that Church...
Proud Father of a medically retired Cav Trooper...
Old 05-04-2020, 12:00 PM

Milt Sparks is like the Gold Dot of holster makers. Opinions may sway a person to a different brand, but that doesn’t mean it’s better. An individual model can be better for a specific person with a specific firearm. My favorite MS was a Criterion with elephant. There’s no way I can give it a proper explanation, you just have to handle it.

I would put TT Gunleather and Tucker Gunleather on the same level (holsters I’ve owned). From what I’ve seen, Warbird, Privateer, and a few others are also on that same level, but I haven’t handled them, personally.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:13 PM

Been a Milt Sparks aficionado since joining this forum in 2002. Have had multiple of their holsters for many of my carry guns. Now have two Axioms and a Nexus for my 1911 CCO and an NLG for my Glock 19 along with an Incredible Bulman for the Glock. Milt Sparks holsters, along with their belts and mag carriers, are the cream of the crop.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Milt Sparks, to me, has done an excellent job refining their product line. It is not ďjust the cache of an expensive item to match up with an expensive gunĒ. In fact, you can pay much more for a ďfancierĒ holster from other companies and get an inferior holster. I have ordered a lot of Milt Sparks products and have not once been disappointed. Every single time one of their products arrives I am excited and impressed. I almost guarantee if you take similar-style holsters from other companies and compare them to Milt Sparks, the Milt Sparks will be better, thinner, more well thought out and designed, not use excess material, and the list goes on and on and on. And yes, I have tested my assertion. Iím also not saying that some other companies donít put out some amazing holsters. They do, but Iíve found that Milt Sparks is the most consistent that Iíve encountered.

Basically, none of the love for Milt Sparks is at all hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2020, 06:55 AM

I use 2 Milt Sparks holster. One is for my officers model and one for full size, both are the VM2. I love the looks and most of all the comfort. I carry the full size mostly. The comfort of the full size and VM2 is the best!
Old 05-16-2020, 01:49 PM

I have a Sparks Criterion for every size gun I carry. If I didn't love them I wouldn't.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I will say upfront this is not to start a fight. I read that these holsters are the best carry holsters out there. What I never hear is the why. Is it a unique part of the design that hasn’t been reproduced? Is it a superior material? Is it just the cache of an expensive item to match up with an expensive gun. I’m looking for a 1911 carry holster and just need the skinny on these. I know there are copies but obviously many think these are a cut above. Thanks
Too many people think the "best holster ever" is the one they are carrying. Sparks' holsters are excellent, but so are Davis, Hipp, Rafter-L, Alessi, etc. I own multiple examples from most top-tier and second-tier makers.

Pick the style you are attracted to from a particular maker and buy it.

One of several Milt Sparks RoadRunner holsters I own that are no longer made

A new Sparks 60TK

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 05-16-2020 at 04:38 PM.