NightHawk FireHawk vs STI DVC-P for competition shooting - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 05:42 AM

NightHawk FireHawk vs STI DVC-P for competition shooting

I have been enjoying getting into competitive/tactical shooting and am looking to upgrade to a gun for that purpose. Two of the top contenders are the NightHawk FireHawk and the STI DVC-P ,both would get RMR red dot's and the FireHawk would also get the Double Stack upgrade. Both guns seem to have recoil and mussel flip compensation. I would appreciate any comments comparing the two for that purpose. A 3rd option is the Wilson Combat EDC X9L.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSCOTT View Post
I have been enjoying getting into competitive/tactical shooting and am looking to upgrade to a gun for that purpose. Two of the top contenders are the NightHawk FireHawk and the STI DVC-P ,both would get RMR red dot's and the FireHawk would also get the Double Stack upgrade. Both guns seem to have recoil and mussel flip compensation. I would appreciate any comments comparing the two for that purpose. A 3rd option is the Wilson Combat EDC X9L.
slide mounted red dots would put you in Open division but would not be too competitive against frame mounted red dots that most Open competitors run. Take a look at the STI DVC-O or DVC-S. Are you going to reload 9mm major?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019, 06:53 AM

9mm minor. I'll also be using the gun for other purposes, but wanted one that would be more geared for competition than my Sig P320 RX (which also has a red dot). I'm new to this forum and should have said that the DVC-O and DVC-S were a little too specific for my consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 03:24 PM

Out of the 2 you mentioned Iíd go hands down with the DVC-P. Iím sure the Firehawk is a fine weapon but itíll be well over $1000 more. I do not see a grand moreís worth. The DVC-P is a sweet shooter.

That said what competitions and dual purpose will you be shooting? The DVC-Steel is a phenomenal gun and as stated earlier the frame mounted optic is preferred for competition and youíll have a quicker return on target. The comp is also more efficient and will have less flip plus the slide will be lighter without the optic thus less reciprocating mass, less flip.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
Out of the 2 you mentioned Iíd go hands down with the DVC-P. Iím sure the Firehawk is a fine weapon but itíll be well over $1000 more. I do not see a grand moreís worth. The DVC-P is a sweet shooter.

That said what competitions and dual purpose will you be shooting? The DVC-Steel is a phenomenal gun and as stated earlier the frame mounted optic is preferred for competition and youíll have a quicker return on target. The comp is also more efficient and will have less flip plus the slide will be lighter without the optic thus less reciprocating mass, less flip.
Right now I have a local weekly USPSA competition. I also do several 1/2 day outdoor tactical training sessions per month. They tend to be more IDPA oriented and I may start doing some of those competitions. I'll also use it on the range and will want it as a CCW option although not my main one.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:53 PM

Then Iíd go with the DVC-P or an Omni if you can find one. Itíll be a better CC gun than a frame mount optic setup like the DVC-S.

I winter carry a Costa Carry Comp which is essentially the same gun as the P. If you take the magwell off itís quite easily concealed. I usually carry it OWB in a Garrett Industries holster with a lightweight jacket or vest concealing it.

The other thing against Nighthawk is theyíre using a metal grip. There is significantly more weight in that setup, more felt recoil as well. Theyíre preferred by competition shooters looking for a heavier gun but not in a concealed carry gun (maybe a duty gun).
Old 10-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Then Iíd go with the DVC-P or an Omni if you can find one. Itíll be a better CC gun than a frame mount optic setup like the DVC-S.

I winter carry a Costa Carry Comp which is essentially the same gun as the P. If you take the magwell off itís quite easily concealed. I usually carry it OWB in a Garrett Industries holster with a lightweight jacket or vest concealing it.

The other thing against Nighthawk is theyíre using a metal grip. There is significantly more weight in that setup, more felt recoil as well. Theyíre preferred by competition shooters looking for a heavier gun but not in a concealed carry gun (maybe a duty gun).
Thanks for your advice, I'll be going with the DVC-P and using the savings on ammo.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:30 AM

Descartian knows his STI guns. That translates to EXPENSIVE knowledge!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:46 AM

Hey, I just saved the guy like $1300 by not recommending the NH. I could have said you HAVE to have an Atlas Erebus! Cool gun btw.

https://atlasgunworks.com/product/at...nworks-erebus/

He did pick some expensive models. A Staccato P probably would have met his needs but a lot of it comes down to want, not only need. That explains my collection to the T.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Hey, I just saved the guy like $1300 by not recommending the NH. I could have said you HAVE to have an Atlas Erebus! Cool gun btw.

https://atlasgunworks.com/product/at...nworks-erebus/

He did pick some expensive models. A Staccato P probably would have met his needs but a lot of it comes down to want, not only need. That explains my collection to the T.
So true, truthfully my Sig 320-RX meets my needs but I'm enjoying the competitions at my local club so much I wanted one more suited to them. The integrated compensator was a key capability I wanted to incorporate (while still having the CCW option) so that steered me toward the DVC-P. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Descrartian,

I was in no way knocking what you told him, just pointing out unnecessarily that your knowledge of STI comes with a hefty price tag, all that came out of your pocket.

I have enjoyed and been successful in competition with mostly garden variety guns over the last thirty years. The newest technology allowing unheard of accuracy in todays high end custom/semi custom guns is amazing.

I personally have benefited from reading your posts about STI guns. Thank you.

I have held Atlas pistols but never fired one. I had a chance to shoot/buy a proto type Atlas and passed. I am having enough trouble feeding my new found STI habit!
Old 10-12-2019, 02:54 PM

I in no way thought you were knocking me. I was just joking.

I have yet to handle an atlas BUT I havenít heard a bad thing about them and everyone that has one over at BrianEnos.com raves about them.

Iím thinking of reaching out to them to see if theyíll build a gun I have planned out. If not them then probably SVI. I just donít know if Iím willing to wait 18 months for the SVI.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:15 PM

On this same (general) topic-ish, does anyone make a 2011 which one can use for competition (like the DVC-S or O) and then convert with some change to a more standardized setup? This would fit multiple needs, like the CZ 75 Czechmate does?
Old 10-12-2019, 05:57 PM

They do not make anything specific but you could easily add a threaded barrel and comp plus a frame mounted optic over the traditional sights to just about any gun. You could also just add a frame mounted optic to a Costa Carry Comp/DVC/P.

The problem with multipurpose guns is they usually do multiple jobs ok but nothing excellent. Youíre usually better off getting a specific pistol for a specific need.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
They do not make anything specific but you could easily add a threaded barrel and comp plus a frame mounted optic over the traditional sights to just about any gun. You could also just add a frame mounted optic to a Costa Carry Comp/DVC/P.

The problem with multipurpose guns is they usually do multiple jobs ok but nothing excellent. You’re usually better off getting a specific pistol for a specific need.
You are absolutely correct about getting the “right gun for the right job”. I typically couldn’t agree more.

I will not do the “threaded barrel/comp thing”. Bad past experiences. However...I have done the “fit an additional comp barrel” option before on a Wilson and I might be able to get that to work. Just have to find a nice comp barrel and the company to do the work.

Essentially - I would like to take a Staccato-P (maybe DUO) and fit it for a comp barrel and frame-mounted optic (yes, it has slide mounted but frame-mounted is far superior) and have a gun I can use for various gun games (as some don’t allow optics or comps). I really don’t shoot open or steel which is why I am looking NOT to spend $4k+ on a whole other pistol...$1k-$1.5k in parts and labor is acceptable.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:07 PM

In my experience, trying to go back and forth between something like a USPSA Open and Limited setup doesn't work too well, because there is a lot of tuning of springs and such to get Open guns running reliably.

If you're just talking 3-gun where power factor isn't really a worry, it makes a little more sense. You could have an optic-mounted slide with a comp and a regular iron-sighted slide. You could also save a lot of money by buying an older STI model, say something like an Edge, Eagle, or Tactical, and having the work done. I'd say you could probably also buy a used frame mounted Open gun and an open sighted gun for what a new STI + slide/barrel would cost.

Also, keep in mind that while frame mounted optics are superior in performance than slide mounted, they aren't something you want to be constantly installing and removing from a gun. Loctite is almost a necessity for frame mount screws and it's easy to strip out something like a hex head if you're always tightening and loosening them.