1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-24-2019, 05:42 PM

Just purchased the RIA A1 GI

Hi all,

So yesterday my friend and I went to the gun store and I purchased a new RIA A1 MS GI model. Now I live in California so now I have to wait 10 days to pick it up, thus haven't fired it yet. This was my first gun purchase so I wanted this to be an all around firearm, range, self defense , etc. Now some people would tell me to get something like a glock (my friend included) but they really don't do it for me. I love the look of 1911's and only had a budget of 500 bucks.

While waiting with excitement I've been scouring the internet reading reviews and watching videos and have to admit I've become a little discouraged. There are a lot of great things said about RIA 1911's but also a lot of not so great things. And now I've gone down the rabbit hole of looking at replacement parts (extractors, magazine's, and the like) and this 500 dollar gun is beginning to get expensive. I'm writing to ask all of your thoughts. Did I make a good purchase? Should I replace anything? Are these negative reviews by people just being haters?.... Am I overreacting 😅. All of your thoughts and feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-premature buyers remorse
Old 03-24-2019, 05:45 PM

Also, a lot of the negative reviews are pretty old. Has Armscore improved their product over the years?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 PM

I bought the same gun you did 3-1/2 years ago and I love it. I can put 8 rounds in the head of a silhouette target at 25 feet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 09:44 PM

I bought the same one earlier this month and the fit and finish defy what I expected to see based upon the price point and some of the reviews out there. Not much needs to be done besides cleaning and lubing. The slide, while being carefully toleranced, was amazingly smooth with a little Dow Corning Molykote G-n paste rubbed into it after a trip through the degreaser. Ran a couple of mags of hardball through it just to check functionality and it ran flawlessly which is more than I can say about my rusty pistol shooting skills. Hopefully yours is just as nice (the pistol I mean)

Hoot
Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 PM

You made a Good decision based on your budget.

I owned a Citadel (sister company of RI in Philippines) in 9mm for about 8 years. Put around 1k rounds through it. It never missed a beat.

I sold it last year to purchase a RI full size in .45. IMO very good quality for the price point. Have about 800 rds through it. As accurate and a slightly better trigger than my SA Range Officer.

The only issue I had was failure(s) to lock the slide back after the last round. I concluded the nub on the slide stop was a little too small to fully engage the follower on the magazines.

I e-mailed RI customer service, explained the issue and they sent me a replacement slide stop, withing two weeks, at no charge. Unfortunately the replacement did not work either so I ended up buying one from Fusion firearms for $20 and problem solved.

My humble suggestion would be to field strip before first range trip, give it a good cleaning and don't be stingy with oil or whatever you choose for lube. Especially on the rails. I've always run mine a little on the "wetter" side and they seem to like it.

Think positively. It's all good. Enjoy it when you get it.

Last edited by 1911Rocker; 03-24-2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Wanted to improve what I said
Old 03-25-2019, 05:43 AM

your first handgun???

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInComiCali View Post
Hi allAll of your thoughts and feedback will be appreciated.
ever hear the saying

"don't cross a bridge until you get there"?

Think I'd get it and shoot it first before ordering a bunch of stuff the i'net commando tacticool operator expUrtz say you need

clean all the packing/shipping rust prevent goo off
lube it generously with lots of plain ole oil

buy a box or three of 230gr FMJ brass case factory new ammo
(not reloads/re-manufactured)

your first handgun..
When you load, don't "ride the slide"...that can cause an operator error feed MALF
let it fly forward full speed (that's the way autos are designed to operate)

point at the target, hold firmly, press trigger straight back

IF any hiccups, be specific/detailed in description .

More often than not, any "teething pains" are just a matter of minor tuning/adjustment .
Out of the box teething pains aren't uncommon with factory new 1911s in general

Hearing and eye protection
Muzzle always in a safe direction
and finger always OFF THE TRIGGER and out of the trigger guard til your sights are on target ready to shoot

..L.T.A.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:51 AM

Hi Stuck,

Another thought (IMHO) is to allow it a break-in period. A lot of folks don't think one should be allowed, but RIA recommends 500 rounds. While I've never had a malfunction in a RIA, it seems that they really do well after 1500 rounds. The accuracy really starts to improve along with a general smoothness in the action all the way around.

Gonna throw it out there, but my RIA match is on par with a Springfield Officer or
Colt Gold Cup, believe it or not.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:59 AM

I have 337 rounds on my 9mm ,no problems,very well built 1911
Old 03-25-2019, 12:19 PM

There will always be people who trash a particular gun make or model. Before you go down that rabbit hole, shoot the gun and find out for sure what YOU think! I have never had an RIA but I am looking to buy a 9MM 1911.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:36 PM

As a fellow Californian with the same gun, all I did was replace the beavertail and hammer with the commander version.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:15 PM

As long as it runs, I wouldn't start changing parts, just for the sake of it.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:03 PM

See if it runs before changing anything. My RIAs have been rock solid and a pleasure to shoot. I have only had one issue with the RIAs that I've owned...Rear sight adjustment screw sheared off on my Tac II Ultra. RIA made it right with a 1 week turnaround. That won't be an issue on your GI model with fixed a fixed sight.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:48 PM

I’ve put around 800 rounds or so through a RIA gi model I bought a couple of years ago with absolutely no failures. It shoots anything I feed it, steel, aluminum, brass case and hollow points with no problem. If it were me, all I’d do right off the bat, is clean and lube it and check the extractor for proper tension, then go shoot it.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Also, a lot of the negative reviews are pretty old. Has Armscore improved their product over the years?
I think they have.

The first thing, is not to worry. Every manufacture will have less than perfect examples out there, but that doesn't mean you will be unlucky.

RIA is without question a budget priced 1911 in an era of multi thousand dollar examples available, but they know how to make a good working gun.

My FIRST experience with RIA was a single part, a slide.
It was bad.
So much work needed to be done to allow it to function, it was almost comical. This put a bad taste in my mouth and was almost the end of my relationship with RIA/Armscore.

Somehow I got up the nerve to try again (well, a bargain will often do that to me!)
The second slide was a .45 6" longslide. BINGO! This one is perfect! I've since used a number of RIA slides and barrels with no issues.

A few months back I ordered up a PAIR of Cimmaron nickle plated 1911s. These would be my first fully assembled Armscore/RAI 1911s.
They both shoot like champs!

Are they perfect? Do they match $1,500.00 plus name brands?
Heck no, one has better plating and trigger (very smooth 4 pounds) and one has better parts fitting.

But, they both shoot perfectly out of the box, look good and hit the nail on the head! They are both super accurate, and both broke in and shoot flawlessly. There is no reason for me to consider swapping parts (I was like you and assumed new trigger group, new this new that.. etc.)

Instead I just enjoy them as is, and they are totally reliable workhorses, that from 5 feet or more away really look like a much pricier Colt etc..

Last edited by CyberDyneSystems; 03-25-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbee View Post
As a fellow Californian with the same gun, all I did was replace the beavertail and hammer with the commander version.
yep
I really don't like the GI grip safety RIA uses
I used Wilson drop-in beavertail (and bob'd the stock hammer) til I figured out how to cut frame and fit

I've owned several GI gov models
two 45 cal
one 38 super
one 9mm

all but the Super ran without help right out of the box

one of the 45s was one of the most accurate 1911s I've ever owned
(I've owned over a hundred from 8 or 9 different manufactures)

6200 rnds and 4200 rnds thru both 45s
Uber reliability

2000 rnd thru the Super
had extractor problems that didn't get squared til I fitted an Ed Brown Hardcore ext'r
Wouldn't feed FP bullets reliable
Shot 8" high @25yrds

maybe 2000 and counting on the 9mm
It's been reliable ....though I don't shoot it much

Rocks are a solid shooter
don't let anyone tell you different

..L.T.A.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Shoot it first before you change anything. Extra mags are always a good idea, though.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:47 PM

I own a five or so year old RIA like the one you bought. The first outing three attempts to feed the first round ended in nose dive failure to feed. The magazine is defective. I've put five different types/brands including lead semi wadcutter reloads thru it with no malfunctions and several different brands of magazines. I did replace the smooth grips with checkered ones. Don't replace anything unless the gun needs something but rely on the factory warranty first if needed. Congrats on a fun gun. tom.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:32 AM

I also own the exact model you are waiting on. Mine is 1 & 1/2 years old with aproxx. 1400 rounds through it, every single one being my reloads. I had a few bobbles within the first 100 rounds and I re-tuned the extractor tension and put a Wilson 17 # flat wire recoil spring in it, with it being very reliable since then. I use Mec-Gar magazines and my gun loves them. I found the original spring to be rather short overall. I actually really like this model for the money. Good luck with yours.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 Bow View Post
...snip...put a Wilson 17 # flat wire recoil spring in it,...snip...
Not to drag this off topic but are you running a full length guide rod and if so, were there any issues getting the flat wire spring to fit over it? Thanks,

Shootenhoot
Old 03-27-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootenHoot View Post
Not to drag this off topic but are you running a full length guide rod and if so, were there any issues getting the flat wire spring to fit over it? Thanks,

Shootenhoot
Hi and sorry, not meaning to derail. I should have clarified, the Wilson kit came with the flat wire spring, buffer and new GI type guide rod, which has a thinner O.D. which accepts the new spring over it. The new Wilson spring will not fit over the RIA GI rod. I am not sure about any of the full length rods, as I only utilize the GI style in my 1911's. I do not use the buffers either. Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:26 AM

Thanks everyone. You are all getting me very excited to pick this thing up. Damn California and their cooling off period. For those who have replaced the beaver tail (I had a feeling I'd want to do this eventually) is the Wilson Combat drop it beaver tail truly "drop in"?
Old 03-28-2019, 04:04 PM

I've got 3 of them, and haven't had any issues yet, maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
is the Wilson Combat drop it beaver tail truly "drop in"?

minimal fitting required.
where "arm" engages the back of trigger bow
(go easy with the file and test fit, cause too much taken off makes the piece scrap)

You'll also need to bob the hammer spur
not a big deal
touch up with cold blue

The drop-in won't look as good as fitted one.
But is a major improvement in shooting

Here's a drop-in on the first RIA I owned and went to backyard 'smith pimp skool

both these are drop-ins

Wilson pt # 429 SG (stainless gov)
429 BG (blued gov)

..L.T.A.

Last edited by Cappi; 03-28-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:15 AM

Another happy Rock owner here. My 5” GI runs fine. I replaced the factory wood grips with factory rubber grips. Then more magazines and ammo. A 5” Rock Standard model also runs without issue - since I replaced the ambi thumb safety with Rock’s GI safety (my knuckle bumps the right side safety). I bought both before leaving New California for the USA.

I enjoy my Rock GI and carry it.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Old 03-29-2019, 12:30 PM

I’ve handled a few nonGI configured Rocks. A couple had decent fit, one or two good fit, but definitely not refined. The last I handled, the 9/22 Txx convertible, like an airsoft pistol I own, not confidence inspiring at all. The PO 14-45 I bought instead is 2x the gun. And I am not a Para fan. The RIA GI am playing with now...getting better, no real money in it, now nor ever. Sold the Rock action group and used Springer take offs, an unsellable Kart takeoff and a $3 Clark bushing. Even grip screw bushing spacing is off on one side. Cracks non RIA grips without alteration. I have it shooting well.

For the price point, they could be a decent gun. Select one with solid feel and sound operation.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.