Smith & Wesson Model 1917 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-20-2017, 08:08 PM

Smith & Wesson Model 1917

I have recently become interested in the S&W Model 1917 45 ACP Revolver and was hoping someone could school me on this handgun. I was wondering what parts should be serial numbered, and if there were any special markings to look for that would affect the value and prove originality. Also, were these revolvers originally high polish blue, matte finish, or different finishes at different times?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. John 3:17
Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 AM

"Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson", by Supica and Nahas. Look for the newest, 4th edition. THE S&W reference work.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 PM

I haven't looked at mine in awhile but I think there is a SN stamp on the rear of the cylinder face as well as the flat part of the barrel under the ejector. I may be wrong.

Get one. You'll like it. Prices seem to be coming down from when I picked up my first one. My second is a Brazillian with a 2.0625" bbl. If you have never used moon clips before you'll love them, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyomatic View Post
I haven't looked at mine in awhile but I think there is a SN stamp on the rear of the cylinder face as well as the flat part of the barrel under the ejector. I may be wrong.

Get one. You'll like it. Prices seem to be coming down from when I picked up my first one. My second is a Brazillian with a 2.0625" bbl. If you have never used moon clips before you'll love them, too.
Hey Deyomatic, thanks for your input. You have a 1917 with a snub nose barrel? Do you have a photo of either of your 1917's?
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. John 3:17
Old 06-22-2017, 02:37 PM

I have the Colt. It's bigger than a timing light.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 PM

That's pretty big.......
Old 06-22-2017, 09:50 PM

The S/N s should be on the barrel flat (ejector rod cut),On the back of the Cyl. On the yoke (Look through a charging hole),in the back of the ejector star The surface that sits against the cyl. I don't know of any with a barrel shorter than5-1/2.If a commercial =high polish ,If military a dull finish
Old 06-23-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter o View Post
The S/N s should be on the barrel flat (ejector rod cut),On the back of the Cyl. On the yoke (Look through a charging hole),in the back of the ejector star The surface that sits against the cyl. I don't know of any with a barrel shorter than5-1/2.If a commercial =high polish ,If military a dull finish
Thanks for the info Walter.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:06 AM

It's also fairly common to find the Brazilian contract S&W's on the market. The Colt is a fair bit bigger. Both are fun to shoot.

Many have been cut down to snubs over the years. I keep thinking I want to cut mine, but it's unmolested so I haven't had the guts. I'll try to find a beat up one to chop at some point.

Last edited by GunsnRovers; 06-23-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 AM

I know almost nothing about them, but you asked for a picture, so I thought I'd show mine. AFAIK, it's the original finish. The grips number to the gun (written in pencil). S/N is also on the butt, the cylinder and under the barrel. The butt is also stamped US ARMY MODEL 1917 on the butt, and UNITED STATES PROPERTY under the barrel. It also has a flaming bomb acceptance stamp on the left side, just below the rear sight. On top on the barrel are the usual Smith & Wesson patent dates for the period. The left side of the barrel reads S&W DA 45. There are no markings under the grips. Oh, the S/N on this one indicates mid 1918 I've been told.

It shows a few scratches and dings in a couple of places but otherwise appears to be in great shape to me.

I haven't fired it yet, but hope too before too long if I ever get the time. I did pick up some two round clips for it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Military or civilian? Or Brazilian?
Old 06-23-2017, 08:38 PM

Here it is...I decided to run it with black Altamont stocks. It looks just like an M&P, until you put it next to an M&P!
Attached Thumbnails
After 1.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyomatic View Post
Here it is...I decided to run it with black Altamont stocks. It looks just like an M&P, until you put it next to an M&P!
Short and stout!